Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sunday
    Long cold run up the hills of Rathmichael for 10 miles of a Sunday. Breezy and blustery, but at least the rain / snow held off.

The elevation profile for this one is a nice pointy witches hat _/\_. Fairly flat for the first couple of miles and then 600mt incline over the next 2.5 miles, turn around at the top, and back down the hill. Slow going, but it's great for building strength in the legs and lungs. Not too long ago I had to walk for parts going up that, but I was trucking along nicely, not too stressed and actually enjoying it (mostly).

After a nice lunch of pancakes and bacon (I love Mothers Day:D) we all headed off for a spot of climbing and bouldering. 3 hours later, I'm well and truly wrecked and just about ready for my bed - once I finish off this little gloine fíona ;)
    Summary 10 miles in 1:40:56
    Avg Pace: 10:05 min/mi

Never did my stats at the end of Feb. So here they are, with a comparison to last years mileage

| 2013 | 2012 |
    Total Year so far| 172.80 |163.74
    Jan Mileage| 75.66| 54.01
    Feb Mileage| 65.07| 86.55
    Mar (to date)|32.07 |23.18

So far, it's more or less the same as last year. I'll have to get some events in the diary to push on the mileage :P

Monday
    Pilates - very wobbly after that one. It's always worse when you miss a week:rolleyes:

Tuesday
    A few miles after work, once the dinner was prepared and on the hob. Planned on 3 but was enjoying it so kept going to 4.
    Summary 4.00 mi in 38:11
    Avg Pace: 9:33 min/mi

Wednesday Rest - well, freezing my a$$ off supervising at gymnastics :o

Thursday
    Club Run. Really enjoyed this, but it was a tough one. The plan was (roughly) to do 1 minute, then 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1. We were originally a big enough group but the group naturally split into two once we set out. So there was about 5 of us and the coach. The group was more or less on the same pace, but he made us all take turns at the front and we couldn't pass the leader until we got the nod. Made for great fun.

Splits were:
    Time| Distance | Pace /mi
    1:02.2| 0.15 |6:45
    2:01.0| 0.27 |7:26
    3:09.3| 0.43 |7:18
    3:59.4| 0.52 |7:44
    2:47.8| 0.37 |7:32
    2:02.5| 0.28 |7:16
    1:19.4| 0.19| 6:59
    Summary3.47 mi in 33:57
    Avg Pace: 9:47 min/mi

Golly, I've been a bit lax updating my log... this is what happens when I don't have any goal races in the schedule :o

Friday Rest day

Saturday Last minute change of plans meant the wee miss was available and up for doing the MSB 5k, so we headed into town on the bus bright and early to register. Met TRR, the Stew family, RunningKing and his princess, and lots of others in the chill zone of the mansion house before heading out for a mini-warmup.
    The plan was to run with her ladyship, and hopefully get her a PB. Best so far was 27:4x so she was looking to break 27 minutes. She's fit as a fiddle with the Gymnastic and Kung Fu training, but hasn't been running for quite a while due to an injury - which is all healed now.
    I had a loose plan to start off at around the 9min/mi and see if she was ok at that, and then gradually up the pace for the last bit, which should see her get her time.
    The usual mass start, and I was surprised to see the pace hovering around 8:50 and she was looking grand. A mile in, still going OK I got a "you're speeding up, slow it down a bit" but she was still doing fine. I started calling to the spectators to give us a cheer and got a "could you be more embarrassing" - "Of course I could" :D:P
    Had to stop just after the 4Km sign to give her knee a rub, but only for a few seconds. Off again and I picked up the pace. Got a telling off, but she kept with me and when we rounded the corner to Dawson street she took off like lightening for the finishing line. Too fast for her Daddy to get a photo :p, but I gave him a shout and a wave as I cruised in to the finish.
    New PB for herself (chip time 26:49) so she was thrilled with that. Easy tempo(ish) run for me but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sunday
    8 miles up the hills. It was cold, but I was taking this one pretty handy. Enjoyed it. Nothing much else to say about it.

Afternoon was spent climbing. Fun but tiring.

Monday
    Nothing doing. Being the dutiful one, I went to Dundalk at the crack of dawn with the Klown and Pronator. Dropped them and drove the car to Newry to pick them up after the DUNE HM. Savage running by both of them on a pretty tough course with a nasty wind. Sat on the couch when we got back and stayed there for the rest of the day.

Tuesday
    The Club has track time on Tuesday evenings, so I decided to take advantage of that and headed to Greystones for a trot. No other clubbies there so just did my own thing. Forgot my watch, so no idea of time or pace, but I did 16 laps in lane 6 so I reckon that should be about 4 miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nice meeting you Emer, great to see Mini-Emer getting the PB.

That's some serious pacing skills by you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nice teamwork by you and the wee miss to get her that PB!! Congrats to you both! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Nice teamwork by you and the wee miss to get her that PB!! Congrats to you both! :D

+1 Sounds like a great weekend all round :)

I think we need a new sub forum for the high performing families around here!

Nice meeting you Emer, great to see Mini-Emer getting the PB.

That's some serious pacing skills by you!
    Dory Dory wrote: »

Aww shucks, thanks guys. I think she still rates her Dad a better pacer than me though, but he does have WAY more experience :P

Wednesday
    Quick run around the park as daylight faded. Nice run. Nothing too exciting.
    Summary3.50 mi in 31:45
    Avg Pace: 9:04 min/mi

Thursday
    Pilates at lunchtime - rescheduled from bank holiday Monday.

Club run in the evening.
    First day back at the park in Shanganagh and the weather was nothing less than atrocious! I jogged over and the (smaller than usual) gang was just setting out for a warmup loop of the pitches. After that, there was the briefest of chats to let us know the plan (2k or 4k tempo) and I opted to go with the 4k group rather and the 2k guys.
    Most of this group were a good bit faster and they were disappearing into the gloom after a few minutes, but I had one companion at comparative pace and we stayed shoulder to shoulder for the entire run, silent allys against the weather. The wind was fierce once we hit the bottom section of the park, but we battled on - head down, arms pumping, one foot in front of the other, in silent torment:rolleyes:.
    Two loops of the park, so by the time we got back to the start/finish almost everyone had finished up as they had headed home, but another of the guys joined us two stragglers for a brief cooldown and a chat, before I jogged the few minutes back to the house and nice warm shower.
    Glad it was finished, and glad I'd gone out with the club, but I wasn't exactly happy when I was doing it!? No km splits, but the miles were 8:01/ 8:19/ 3:45(0.47 @ 8:02/mi) so about 20 minutes for the 4k. Happy enough with that, given the conditions.
    With warm up and cool down it was 4.40 mi for the day
    Summary 4.4 mi in 40:26
    Avg Pace: 9:12 min/mi

Friday
    Rest. Although I could have gone for a free swim around the corner on the N11 if I'd wanted :p

Saturday
    A very easy 3 miles around the still sodden park. Legs were feeling a bit tight after the pilates / fast(er) run on Thursday, but eased out a bit after a few minutes.
    Summary 3.00 mi in 27:50
    Avg Pace: 9:16 min/mi

• Advertisement

Sunday
    Only 8 miles today. Went up towards Killiney's lovely hilly views over vico road. Tough climbs, but on a day when the wind is blowing up and the sea looks like it's being whipped up in a blender, could there be a better run route? Real cobweb blowout of a run. :p
    Crossed paths with MarthaStew and Meno too so got a big cheer out there. :D
    A slow one but good for the soul.
    Summary 8.25 mi in 1:22:26
    Avg Pace: 9:59 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

By the sounds of the logs I've read it's a great place to run, must try it some day,

Stats for the year so far.

23.16 mi for the week

| 2013 | 2012
    Total Year so far| 214.55 |214.38
    Jan Mileage| 75.66| 54.01
    Feb Mileage| 65.07| 86.55
    Mar (to date)|73.81|73.81

Monday
    Didn't get to Pilates - work stuff :mad: - but went climbing in the evening so that was an even better workout :D

Tuesday
    Woke up with a headache that hung around all day, so didn't go out for a run.

Wednesday
    Snow flurries and blizzards all day, but nothing stuck, so I went out for a run in the park when I got home. Lots of layers, but the wind was biting and my poor face was tingling after a few minutes. And I wasn't the only eejit hardy soul out in the park. :rolleyes:
    I had no plan for this, but as I was going to miss the club run tomorrow I decided to pick up the pace. So I did a mini pyramid of 1:2:3:2:1 (minutes) with the same recoveries between.
    Lung busting stuff, especially in the freezing weather and the flurries. Happy with how it went though. With the warmup and cooldown it was a total of 4 miles for the set.

number| duration| distance | pace /mi
    1| 1:01.4| 0.14 |7:09
    2| 2:01.4| 0.28 |7:15
    3| 2:59.4| 0.39 |7:35
    4| 2:00.9| 0.28 |7:13
    5| 1:01.8| 0.15 |6:57

Summary 4 mi in 38:54
    Avg Pace: 9:44 min/mi

Friday
    3 miles but I deleted it from the watch (accidentally :o) before uploading, so I don't have any stats. From memory, the first one was slow (about 9:40/mi), the second was faster (about 8:45/mi I think), and the last one was a touch slower (about 9/mi). And then some strides to finish. Nothing too much to write about for that one.

Saturday
    10 miles. Couple of solo miles then was joined by the bro and the sil for a few more slow miles. Had to keep it handy as yerman hasn't been doing much running recently and was keen to keep the pace around the 10min/mi. Nice run, lovely and sunny, though it was bitter in the wind. The last 2 miles were a wee bit faster once we left him off. Felt really good after this one. :D

Sunday
    A short few miles to round off the week. Another bitter windy day and the miles with a headwind were pretty tough. But wind was mostly on the outward miles and it was easy peasy on the way back with the wind behind me.

Finished off the day with a couple of hours climbing and bouldering until my arms were ready to fall out of their sockets! Great fun :D:D
    Summary
    3 mi in 28ish minutes at about 9:20 min/mi
    plus
    10.15 mi in 1:38:52 Avg Pace: 9:45 min/mi
    plus
    4.02 mi in 36:26 Avg Pace: 9:04 min/mi

21.41 mi for the week

Period | 2013 | 2012
    Jan | 75.66| 54.01
    Feb | 65.07| 86.55
    Mar |95.23|88.56
    Total Year To Date| 235.96 |229.13

Monday
    A lovely casual walk along Dunlaoghaire Pier.

Tuesday
    With the time change I was really glad to be heading out for an easy few miles in the bright sunshine, until I got outside and the wind nearly pealed the skin off my face :eek:. To further pi$$ me off, the garmin refused to pick up the satellites. I waited until I couldn't stand the pain in my face any longer, and just went anyway. The first mile seemed to be very slow - probably was too - mainly because I couldn't feel my feet for most of it. :confused:
    But, of course, once I warmed up a bit I started to feel a more cheerful and enthusiastic. The pace picked up with the mood and I finished my 3 little miles in great form, glad of the sunshine and the fresh air. :D
    Summary 3.10 mi 8:42
    Avg Pace: 9:16 min/mi

Doing my first official race for the Club tomorrow. It's the Wicklow Road C/Ships - a 5K race - and I'm a wee bit anxious about it. It's a team event! :eek:
    Last time I ran in a team even was the schools cross country (many many many years ago) and I was always the 'Achilles Heel' or 'there to just make up numbers'. All my running now is just for me (up to now, anyway) and the thoughts of having a team depending on me scares me sh1tless :eek: I know there'll be loads of us though, so hopefully there will be enough of the faster people so I'm not needed :o :rolleyes:

Tune in tomorrow for the update :P

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Great to hear you're running tomorrow. Just focus on enjoying it. At least that's when I always run my best.
    Good luck! Should see you there. :)

Yes...best of luck and enjoy the team spirit!! Can't wait to hear how it all went. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck this evening Emer - the sun is out just for you and the club vest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

best of Luck and enjoy the race, the sun actually has a bit of heat in it:D

Wednesday
    Right. Got home, got changed, scoffed down and banana and split <bad pun - sorr-eee :o>
    We got to Ashford just after 6. The race was due to start at 7 but we were told to be there before 6.15 to register and get teams sorted. BUT the organisers were the last ones there, so we just checked in with the clubbies and chilled for a bit. I got my club vest (gulp), and eventually my number and chip <to be put on the left shoelace?>

Went for a bit of a warm-up with some of the girls I train with, and noticed that the rather stiff cold breeze was going to be head-on for the first half of the out and back course. Add the slight incline and it meant this probably was NOT going to be a PB assault. Ah well. Back to drop the extra layer at the car and the runners were starting to head over to the start area.

Looked like about 130+ runners lining up. The Klown and a couple of the other fast Bray heads were on the start line and no doubt looking for fast times, but the young guns from Kilcoole were out in force, so I reckoned there was going to be a scramble for the top spots.
    Meanwhile I was quietly hiding down the back, not really sure what sort of a plan I was going with. My PB is 24:05 but I reckoned if I got under 25 I'd be happy. In the end I just hit start on the watch, forgot about pace, and just ran.

It was a bit noisy in the pack and when the starting gun went it drew a shriek from the unsuspecting assembled masses! And we're off...

Bit of a melee at the start, but it spaced out pretty quickly and I got into a rhythm. There were a couple of other Bray girls running about my pace but we were all running solo today. The first mile (I know it's a 5K race, but I only do miles! :P) was into the wind and mostly an uphill drag. Tough. I pick up a few spaces to those that started too fast and lost a few to the stronger, better pacers, but generally was going well, though the lungs were working hard.

When we got about 2K in, the leaders were passing us on the way back. The Klown was impressively in 2nd place, well ahead of 3rd place and the pursuing pack. I glanced at him and he glanced at me. No words were available to either of us at this point :D
    I couldn't believe it when one of the guys around me commented "Feic, Bray 1, 2 and 3! Close your ears" then an almighty bellow "Come Ooon Kilcoole" to the wolf pack that were just following behind. He was obviously not working hard enough if he had that lung power to spare!

The turning point came up quick and then we were on the way home. No more wind <phew!> and mostly flat or down, thought there was a sneaky little incline up to a roundabout that kinda caught me out a bit. With the wind at my back I started to heat up too, and was really happy I had opted to leave the second layer off!

One of the other Bray girls had pulled ahead but she was still in my sights and, though too far in front to catch, I wanted to make sure not to lose sight of her. Another girl was slightly behind me and pushing me on as she kept the pressure on. In the last mile or so I was passed only once and passed a few myself. As the finish line came into sight I looked up to see a 23 on the clock. I hadn't looked at my watch/ pace for the entire race, and was surprised with this. It spurred me onto a bit of a sprint and I passed under the gantry in about 23:50 or so (still waiting on the official time). Delighted! Totally feiced and sucking in oxygen for a few minutes before I could move, but De-Light-ed :D:p :cool:

After a cooldown run with some of the guys we were all back to the school for some tea, sandwiches, cake and biccies and awaiting the race results. Good grub and chat but there were some issues with the chips (some didn't register) and the manual results didn't match. So after a bit we were informed that the results would not be available until they sorted out the mess (poor guys - horrible job) and we'd be notified in a few days.

Obviously I've no idea how the team results played out, but the Bray Senior men had #1, #2 and #5 and I know the Senior Women #1 was Bray too, so I reckoned we did ok. And no pressure on me, cause there were lots of faster people there to score :D.

Don't know if I enjoyed it - it's hard to enjoy 5K's :confused: - but I was very very happy with my result.

Mile splits were 7:54 / 7:58 / 7:28 / 0:30.8 (last bit 6:18 min/mi)

The garmin recorded 3.08 for the distance, but I'm assuming the turn around and the tree lined route can account for the GPS inaccuracy. The route thread isn't exactly square on the map anyway, so I'm taking it!
    Summary 3.08 (3.1) mi in 23:51 NEW PB
    Avg Pace: 7:44 min/mi

With warmup and cooldown of about 1.5 miles, taking me to 4.5 for the day.

Woo hoooooo-ie!!!! :D:D:D Serious congrats Emer!! Very, very well done. And nice report too! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done Emer. Great running, congrats on PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great work Emer, well deserved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Emer, super stuff. And selling yourself short before the race! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Nice job! Always good to a new minute barrier fall,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done E, what a super race and report. I hope you and the Klown shared a nice big pot of PB tea when you got home.:D

Marthastew wrote: »
    Well done E, what a super race and report. I hope you and the Klown shared a nice big pot of PB tea when you got home.:D

Thanks missus... I had a PB beer, he had a PB water :D

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Club training tonight and anyone racing last night got to do run an easy run. So six of us set off on a nice easy run and a good ol' natter for 30 minutes or so in the park in the sunshine. Perfect :D.
    Summary 3.55 mi in 33:39
    Avg Pace: 9:29 min/mi

Advertisement