Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Wow Emer, great run at the weekend!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wednesday
    My regular yoga instructor is away for 4 weeks but said there was a sub taking over. BUT when I checked the class schedule on the web, the sub was only doing 1 class, which was too early and was just for the level 1 category :confused:... so no yoga for me this week :(
    Very unhappy!

Thursday
    5 miles around the village and into the park. I haven't done that loop in quite a while, so it was nice for a change. Very humid out there today though. No intervals (coaches instructions) to save my leggies for the weekend. I ran this at a comfortable pace, and felt grand at the finish.

Thought it was funny when I heard myself refer to my run as a 'just a short one'. A five mile run was my long run not too long ago, and was a daunting prospect!? :p Funny how things change.

Summary
    5 miles in 00:49:45
    Avg Pace: 09:56 min/mi (going easy :cool:)

Rest day Friday. Indian take away, nice bottle of beer and an early night. Boring, but very welcome! :)

Saturday
    8 miles, but not at pmp today. Mr Higdons instructions were to take it at a comfortable pace, slower than the marathon pace, to conserve energy for tomorrows 18 miler :eek:

It was REALLY sunny so I slapped on the sunscreen before I left. Typically, I wasn't gone a mile when the heavens opened! But it was just a shower and by the time I'd done 2.5 miles, the sun was out again - scorching, lovely :(. Rained again when I was just about home. A bit of a mixed weather bag out there today.

I took it handy and finished the run feeling comfortable, as instructed :D Roll on tomorrow :rolleyes:

Summary
    8 miles in 01:21:14
    Avg Pace: 10:09 min/mi

18 mile LSR
    Longest Run Ever (again :D)

Porridge with seeds, raisins and honey, with coffee and half a bagel for breaky, accompanied with a couple of glasses of water / juice to hydrate.
    After that had settled, I got kitted out in the gear, slapped on the sunscreen, strapped on the gel belt and headed out.

It was quite sunny but not too hot. Stopped 3 times for water, took a gel at mile 6 and just topped up on wine gums after that. I reckon I'll probably use a second gel for the 20 (and the marathon), but I did OK on the jelly sweets today.
    I had to amend my planned route to fit in an emergency loo stop at 14miles:o, so I had to make it up as I went from there. I was glad to have the garmin!
    Had to do a small out and back at the end to make it up to 18, but I can't give out.

The legs were really tired at the end. Got into a cold bath for 10 minutes, which seemed to help.

Summary
    18 miles in 03:15:23
    Avg Pace: 10:51 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant run Emer! I think you're getting faster as you go further!

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    I think you're getting faster as you go further!

Thanks Littlebug.
    It was a really HARD run, but I didn't kill myself on it. I don't think I'm any faster though!? I'd say I'd still struggle to do a decent 10K. I won't worry about that at the moment though. The current goal if just to get around the 26.2 in a reasonable time (for me:D)
    Maybe after the marathon I'll review my training and do some proper speed work for a bit. Maybe the next goal will be to get a decent 10k (sub 50) or Half Marathon (sub 2 hours) time? Hmmm... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Emer911 wrote: »
    18 mile LSR
    Longest Run Ever (again :D)

Summary
    18 miles in 03:15:23
    Avg Pace: 10:51 min/mi

Wow Emer that's great - you're doing brilliantly with the training. Love the tip about the cold bath afterwards :eek:. Must remember that if I get up that far.

shazkea wrote: »
    Love the tip about the cold bath afterwards :eek:. Must remember that if I get up that far.

Cold Bath = Painful, but worth it :D

Great LSR Emer. How did you get into the cold bath afterwards!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Fantastic LSR Emer! Well done :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the support guys, much appreciated! :p

Here's the plan for the week to come.
    Its a step back week with reduced mileage. The 4th in the plan. Total mileage last week was 39, this weeks plan calls for just 31, though I'll be running 5 days instead of 4 this week...

Monday | Rest/ Cross training
    Tuesday | 5 mile recovery run
    Wednesday | No yoga, so 5 miles "listen to your body" run
    Thursday | 5 miles at a comfortable pace
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 8 miles @ pmp
    Sunday | 13 mile LSR

Monday
    Between the jigs and the reels I didn't get to go swimming yesterday, so went for a stroll on Killiney hill with the family instead. Short and gentle (if a bit steep!). A good way to ease out the legs.

Tuesday
    5 miles in the plan for today, but had to rush back to take the young fella to his football training, so cut my run to just 4 miles. Of course, his granny ended up bringing him anyway, so I could have stayed out... hmmm, never mind! I'll just do the extra mile tomorrow instead.

It was lovely and sunny in the park this evening. Nothing much to report. The legs were grand after the weekends excursion, and the run felt easy. All good.

Summary
    4 miles in 00:39:08
    Avg Pace: 09:46 min/mi

Woo Hoo! I just passed the 600 mile mark for the year! :eek::D

Woo Hoo! I just passed the 600 mile mark for the year! :eek::D

Congrats!:D How many weeks left now to Berlin?

7 weeks and counting (down)... or 6 weeks from Sunday :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

7 weeks and counting (down)... or 6 weeks from Sunday :eek:

It's getting dangerously close for sure :) Congratulations on passing the 600 mile mark, you'll be well ready for the big day!

Wednesday
    Change to the plan (again) today. I got somehow talked into (or rather I talked myself into) the IMRA MOUNTAIN RESCUE BENEFIT RACE over Ticknock and Fairy Castle. It was billed as a 5k, but was actually about 4 miles (6.5K ish).
    It was my inaugural mountain race, and boy was it an eye opener! Those mountain runners are NUTS! :p(meant in the nicest possible way)
    It was a tough climb up the trail, especially over the section known as "the bone shaker" where the terrain had more in common with rock climbing than running trails!:eek:.
    The way down was just as interesting, and I felt almost like I was playing hopscotch, the way I was leaping from rock to rock, desperately trying to stay upright! Fun!?

Anyway, it was an experience :rolleyes:

The atmosphere was great, and it was very well organised. Lots of fellow runners were very encouraging when they heard it was my first mountain race. And though I passed some of them on the uphill, their obvious experience saw them careering past me on the downhill. I was very envious. I guess the technique and the balls guts to go that fast over steep uneven ground like that comes with experience?

So all in all, an interesting evening. I don't think I'll be rushing back (did I mention it was tough?) but it didn't put me off, and I might attempt a few of the easier races next year, plans permitting.

And yeah, I know I didn't do the prescribed miles today, but I think the effort more than made up for it.

Summary
    4.05 miles in 00:51:17
    Avg Pace: 12:39 min/mi (that terrain certainly took it's toll!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well variety is the spice of life! Nice to change it up every now and then. Sounds like an interesting race. :)

Well done Emer, good on you for giving it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done Emer. It appears we're as bad as each other! It was tough though wasn't it?! And I'm not even slap bang in the middle of marathon training. I was looking around for other newbies and half considering rubbing my number in the muck and creasing it up a bit to try and make myself look like a threat. Unfortunately the shiny white road runners meant I was a dead give away!! :cool:

Good work :)

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Well done Emer. It appears we're as bad as each other! It was tough though wasn't it?! And I'm not even slap bang in the middle of marathon training. I was looking around for other newbies and half considering rubbing my number in the muck and creasing it up a bit to try and make myself look like a threat. Unfortunately the shiny white road runners meant I was a dead give away!! :cool:

Good work :)

I though you might've been doing that alright. I was half thinking of shouting CLARALARA around the start to see if anyone would react, but I was too shy :rolleyes:

You seemed to have performed a bit better than I did. Congrats on that! Sure it was a bit of a lark for a wednesday evening... what else would be at?:P

Thursday
    5 easy / steady miles today. Was dropping the wee lad to football so decided to run the Cabinteely Park loop a few times, just for a change of scene. Took it handy, not pushing too much - well it is a step back week :).

The legs were feeling a bit heavy today, I must admit. The hill run yesterday and Sunday's 18 miles were definitely making themselves felt! But I kept it going, taking it easy on the lovely up hill bits and letting it all go on the down hill sections. Everything loosened up after about a mile and a half and I got into my stride nicely.

The thighs and hips are a bit stiffer now I've cooled down and I think I'll be needing some quality time with the foam roller later (oh joy :rolleyes:)

Summary
    5 miles in 00:49:01
    Avg Pace: 09:47 min/mi

Friday Rest day. Ate rubbish and went to the pub. Great training for a marathon!:o

Saturday 8 mile pmp.
    I'm still playing around with the idea of going for the 04:15:00 marathon, and the pace for that is about 09:44 /mi. Don't really know if I'd be able to keep it up for the full 26.2, but I'm trying to aim my training at that pace anyway.
    The fall back is 10:19 /mi to get in under the 04:30:00 mark.
    So the pmp today was aimed at the 09:44 /mi pace.
    Boy, was it a hot one out there though!?:eek: But I played around with my pace, and seemed to be able to keep it on track. The last few miles were very hard. I felt like I was putting in way too much effort for the pace - maybe that was just the heat, or the beer:p?!

Summary
    8 miles in 01:17:25
    Avg Pace: 09:40 min/mi

Great run Emer,

I don't know how you get out and do a long run the day after a pmp run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

maybe that was just the heat, or the beer:p?!
    You really should try and avoid beer while running. It tends to spill out of the glass, and will only further dehydrate you. Most of us stick to water and the occasional sports drink.

Great run Emer,

I don't know how you get out and do a long run the day after a pmp run!

Well if its in the plan it must be done... them is the rules!!:p

It's generally ok but the LSR must definitely be SLOW!

Sunday
    An easier LSR for the step back week - 13 miles in the plan. I was visiting the folks so had to scout a new route. Forgot to bring any gels or my gel belt, so decided to drop a bag along the route with bottles and some wine gums.

I didn't head out until about 12:00 - bad idea! It was really sunny and hot:eek: The route was a 4 mile out with laps through the forest path (blissfully cool under the tree cover) and 4 miles back. The out and back was totally exposed and really hot. The last 2 miles were especially tough. I guess the sun's scorching rays were getting to me at that point. Boy was I glad to get back to the homestead! Thankfully I was slathered in sun cream so no sunburn <phew>:rolleyes:

Summary
    13 miles in 02:19:16
    Average Pace 10:42 /mi

Sunday

Summary
    13 miles in 02:19:16
    Average Pace 10:42 /mi

Our paces today were scarily close! :D If I'd be out at the same time as you I'd have been a LOT slower though!

Our paces today were scarily close! :D If I'd be out at the same time as you I'd have been a LOT slower though!

Yeah, just had a look at your log
    13.1 miles in 2:20:31, average pace 10.43
    It's scary how close they were!? :p

• Advertisement

The plan for the week.
    34 miles done in the step back week last week and 43 in the plan for this week, with the big Two-Oh as the LSR. Gheesh, the miles are really clocking up now!

Monday | Rest/ Cross training
    Tuesday | 5 mile comfortable run
    Wednesday | 8 miles
    Thursday | 5 miles easy
    Friday |Rest
    Saturday | 5 miles @ pmp 20 Mile LSR
    Sunday | 20 mile LSR 5 mile

...have to switch thing around this week to fit in the LSR on Saturday. Flying off on Saturday evening, so I'll be doing my 5 mile pmp on Sunday in sunny Spain. Hopefully it won't be too sunny and I'll actually be able to run:p

Advertisement