Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done Emer on the PB, great run and great report:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Friday
    Hot Yoga class. I got a cheap deal (3 classes for 1) so decided to try it out. Sweaty, and definitely stretched, the instructor was a bit loud for my liking, but whatever.

Saturday
    4 miles in Marley Park - for a change of scenery. It was lovely and sunny and not all that cold, so I was wearing way too much! Did one loop (about 2 miles) and dropped the hat and jacket and gloves back to the car, and picked up my shades before I continued on my way. Found the 1st mile a bit of a struggle, but was OK for the rest. Nice run. ROASTED at the end of it. (though it was actually only about 7C)
    Passed JcsMum at one point too - looking very fresh and bouncy :D.
    Summary 4.00 mi in 37:34
    Avg Pace: 9:23 min/mi

Sunday
    Okay so its's long run day but I'm down to run the 10k in Kildare so was persuaded to do some intervals instead. So ran over to the cinder track 2.5 miles away. Nice warm up. Then did 3x1200mt (3 laps) at 10k pace (~8min/mi) with about 3 minutes between. One more set of 800 mt (2 laps) at 5k pace (~7:40min/mi) and then back home for the 2.5 mile cool down.
    Fierce breeze on the back straight so it was tough keeping the pace, but I managed reasonably ok. Intervals were:

time|Distance|Pace/mi
    5:53| 0.75| 7:51
    5:46| 0.75| 7:42
    5:48| 0.76| 7:41
    3:43| 0.51| 7:21
    Summary 8.01 mi in 1:12:42
    Avg Pace: 9:05 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

'fresh and bouncy'!!! :)

You should have seen me a mile later. :eek:

Sunday PM
    Went bouldering and rope climbing for a couple of hours. Managed to finish one route I hadn't been able to do before so was thrilled with that. Arms hanging off after. Fantastic fun! :D

Monday
    Back to lunchtime Pilates and after the climbing yesterday my arms/ shoulders were in bits :o so this was tough.

Went for a GPS free run after work - rushed home to drop herself to one of her things, and grabbed my gear to go for a run, but forgot to take the watch.
    So I got to run au-natural for a change. :rolleyes: I knew the loop was somewhere between 3 and 4 miles, so just took it handy. Felt like I was going REALLY SLOW, but it was a good recovery run in the lovely sunshine.
    Turned out it was about 4 miles exactly when I mapped it and going on the clock in the car I was out for about 38 minutes or so.

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    Bouldering for a bit with the OH and the little miss. It was hard work, but such good fun! Hands were rubbed raw after. Probably used half a tube of moisturiser on the way home :P

Wednesday
    Briefly thought about getting another hot yoga class in, but my arms were in bits, so I just went for a bit of a run instead. Tired, and it showed. Very slow one, but glad I did it and felt less tired after - which is weird :confused:
    Summary 3 miles in 29:17
    Avg Pace: 9:46 min/mi

Thursday
    Lunchtime Pilates class. No class on next Monday so this was a 'fit it in' class. Still tired so it was a tough one.

Club run in the evening. It had stopped raining but I was running late and had to change in a hurry and dash out to the park. Didn't get the GPS going until half way through the warmup.
    Pyramid session was planned so it was 1:2:3:4:3:2:1 with the same recovery between. Good group today - all pretty much at the similar pace, so we were pushed for every set. Billoxed it up on the watch though - didn't hit the lap after a couple of the sets. The rain started when we were in the middle of the intervals and boy did it come down! We could barely see, and I guess it was somewhat distracted :rolleyes:

1:02 0.15 6:50
    2:00 0.29 6:58
    6:00 0.67 8:55 (didn't hit the lap so this was 3 mins + recovery)
    4:04 0.53 7:42
    3:04 0.42 7:20
    2:00 0.26 7:38
    ...and I didn't hit the lap for the last one either! Doh!
    Summary 4.75 mi in 43:53 (plus about an extra half mile before I got the GPS signal)
    Avg Pace: 9:15 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Hey Emer, where's the bouldering place that you go to?

Hey Emer, where's the bouldering place that you go to?

Awesome walls - just off the M50 at exit 5 (Finglas)

Friday
    Hot yoga class. Sweaty sweaty sweaty - lovely;)!

Saturday
    The other fella was going to the Parkrun in Marlay so I said I might as well go along too. Walked over the start from the car park with mini-me (as jcsmum described her), said hi to few heads and did a very short warm-up to try to get the legs going. I was very stiff and tight from the speed session the other night, so didn't really have any great goals for today. Give it a lash, sort of thing :rolleyes:
    So the big boys lined up toe to toe and I took a spot down the back. The hooter went and everyone dashed off like mad hares! Hilarious to watch - the Klown and Pronator were up the front with a crowd of about 15 around them as they rounded the lower half of the field. I was thinking that this was going to be a VERY competitive race if there were that many keeping pace with those two, but by the time they got to the 1K marker at the other end of the field it was just the two boys with 1 other up the front - order had been restored!
    Meanwhile down the back...
    I was going fine - maybe a touch too fast at the very start, but settled into the pace nicely. It's very disconcerting when after about 1K there are folks around you making gasping noises and panting hard - obviously more than the front crowd went out way too fast! On the second km the field spaced out a bit and I was more or less with this same group all the way around. Stiff enough breeze going up the hill on the outside loop.
    Around the field again for the last km or so, and into the home chute to be greeted by a big hug from mini-me :D. Not a PB (but a parkrun PB) but pretty happy with it given how my legs felt at the start. Met jcsmum (as I mentioned earlier) and she looked like she'd been out for a stroll, while I was puffing and panting and probably had a big tomato head on me :o.
    And the big news - spot #1 for the Klown (he's very happy!) and #2 for Pronator, so a good mornings work.
    And home by 11 for a coffee and some apple strudel :p
    Summary 4.08 mi in 34:12 (incl warm-up and cool-down)
    Race: 3.07 mi in 24:19 (official time 24:21)
    Avg Pace: 7:55 min/mi

24.33 mi for the week

Period | 2013 | 2012
    Jan | 75.66| 54.01
    Feb | 65.07| 86.55
    Mar |95.23|88.56
    Apr (to date) | 47.57 | 25.64
    Total Year To Date| 283.53 |254.77

• Advertisement

Hmmm, seems I forgot to log Sundays activities. How did that happen?

Sunday
    MSR (well it was just 8 miles so it's a medium slow run rather than a LSR)
    Windy and warmer than I expected, and as I was in rag order after all the faster stuff I decided to just head out and see how it went. I told myself I had to do a minimum of 5 miles, but didn't really have a plan or a goal.
    So with my usual hat, gloves, jacket and long sleeves & long tights, off I set. Within a mile I had to stop and take off the hat, gloves and jacket!! :eek: Meltin'!
    Anyway, down the (sheltered) back roads to the N11 and even though it was a slow one, I was settling into it and starting to enjoy the run. But when I turned onto the dual carriageway there was nowhere to hide from the wind and boy did it blow! I was nearly going backwards.
    Got back to the village and decided to add a couple of miles on so headed the long way to the park. Couple of laps to finish off (still battling with the wind, but perversely enjoying it) and got to 8 miles before heading for home.
    Summary 8.00 mi in 1:17:19
    Avg Pace : 9:40 min/mi

Sunday PM
    Afternoon fun with the OH and mini-me. Headed to the climbing place for some top rope wall climbing. We decide to finish up with a route that defeated us all on one of our first visits, and even I found it (fairly) easy, so progress is definitely being made (who needs a boring old gym :D)

Monday
    No Pilates today and just chilled for the evening - so a total REST day.

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Pilates (postponed from yesterday) and lots of plank and push-ups had my arms hanging off me! :eek:

PM: 3 sluggish miles around the park with mini-me in the sunshine.
    Summary 3.00 mi in 27:14
    Avg Pace 9:04 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Just catching up on the log Emer. Congrats on the 5km PB, great stuff and a good debut for the club singlet :). Kildare 10km up next for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey Emer, hope to get to meet you over the weekend :)

Just catching up on the log Emer. Congrats on the 5km PB, great stuff and a good debut for the club singlet :). Kildare 10km up next for you?

Thanks BF. Yeah, I'm doing Kildare 10K... hopefully:rolleyes:

RubyK wrote: »
    Hey Emer, hope to get to meet you over the weekend :)

Hey Ruby, think I spotted you talking to MS on Sunday but you seemed to be breezing through and I didn't get to say "hi". Congrats on the run, by the way.

OK. Since last Tuesdays sluggish run I've been battling a cold (in hindsight I should have know something was brewing)

Of course, heading to London on Friday with a temperature probably didn't do me any favours, and at this stage it's gone to my chest, I can barely talk above a whisper, and it feels like people are talking to me through a tunnel of cotton wool ...so no running.

I'll check back in once I'm right again and have some running to log.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Get well soon Emer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Hot Whiskey's ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah no...sorry to hear its got worse :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The Clown posted on his log that after several days of Clown TLC and catering to, you are feeling much better. Hope that's the case!! :)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The Clown posted on his log that after several days of Clown TLC and catering to, you are feeling much better. Hope that's the case!! :)

Getting there - thanks for asking. Still not 100%, but I'm sure I'll be back on top in the next couple of days. :rolleyes:

Tuesday
    First run in two weeks - fourteen whole days!! Two and a half miles around the park at snails pace. Had to take it easy - felt a bit off at the start, so slowed it right down and once I warmed up the yuckee feeling went. No watch so did one big loop.
    Finished the antibiotics now, but obviously it'll take a few days to get back to normal. Don't think there will be any PB at the Kildare 10k in a week and a bit! :rolleyes: I'll be lucky to get around in an hour at this rate :eek:

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Pilates at lunchtime. Catching up on lost classes.

Evening Club Run. I kept with the easier group, which was definitely the best option for me at the moment. Tempo session was planned, but I just took it handy. 5 miles covered in total and though te legs felt a bit leaden, the breathing was mostly ok.

Late evening Bouldering. Quick shower and bite to eat after the run and we headed out for some fun. About an hour or so bouldering had me hanging but feeling good.

Nice days activity :D

Saturday
    Trip over to Malahide for the Parkrun. Not racing this - just went for a look see and to see if the lungs / legs, etc were recovering ok. Lovely sunny morning, a lovely route and really friendly people. I'd reckon this is a faster course than the Marlay route. Of course my stats don't agree - it was my slowest parkrun - but I felt good and the pace steadily increased over the 3 miles. It was a nice little progression training run for me, I guess.
    Had to dash home after so didn't get to try out the coffee and scones in the cafe and didn't get a chance to say Hi to anyone (I hear we were spotted...;))
    Summary: 3.07 mi in 25:55
    Avg Pace 8:27 min/mi
    With a bit of a cooldown jogging back to the car.

Monday
    A driver to assist in a recce of Leg 7 of the Wicklow Way was called for, so I dropped himself at iron bridge where we unexpectedly met up with a couple of runners who were also liaising with some friends at the end of leg 7 (they had finished leg 6).
    I slavishly followed the GPS woman's instructions to the other end of the leg (near to Tinahely) and waited for the guys. We set off back along the leg 7 route (thanks for the company guys!) until they met up with their friends and I tootled along for another mile or so alone. A very hilly path and lots of gates to manhandle, so it was NOT a fast few miles, but I really enjoyed it. Turned around after a bit and ran back to the car to await his Lordship.
    Six lovely, sunny, hilly, relaxing (:rolleyes:?) miles - just what was called for :p.

Finished off the afternoon with a hour or so of rope climbing.

Great way to spend a bank holiday Monday :D
    Summary: 6.00 mi 1:04:57
    Avg Pace: 10:49 min/mi

Thursday
    Club run. Doing 3x2minutes, 2x3minutes, 2 minutes. Roughly 1.5 to 2 minutes rest between.
    And I wasn't allowed to run with the slower group :o
    And it was W I N D Y!

Tough session, but what I needed.
    Time| Pace / mile
    2:06| 7:24
    1:57| 7:22
    2:02 |7:47
    3:00 |7:44
    3:16 |7:18
    2:03 |7:18
    Summary 4.75 mi in 46:06
    Avg Pace: 9:43 min/mi

Sunday
    Kildare 10K
    Rainy and windy and miserable when we got out of bed at 6:30am :eek:, and it was still goddamn awful when we reached Kildare. As himself was pacing the Marathon, we had to be there nice and early so I had 3 whole hours of hanging around before the start of the 10k race. At least I had a nice warm place to hang out...

...and eventually it was time to get ready. Feic me it was chilly - and windy - but the rain had (more or less) stopped and we trotted over, en masse, to the start line. Corralled into the space behind the gantry, the organisers had arranged for a group warmup person to keep us warm as we waited for the start - but it didn't really work given the limited space, and the mucky underfoot conditions meant that we were all mud splattered before we even took off. The crowd started getting restless as we passed the designated start time and the guy declared we had 2 more minutes. They were actually starting to chant when the starter took over the loudhailer and set us on our way. It was only about a delay of 4 or 5 minutes but I guess everyone was starting to get cold.

Off we went, and the path for the first 2k was a hard packed surface with a sandy top which was pretty mucky after all the rain - eucky. But once we got past that it was tarmac all the way. The first mile or so was pretty uneventful. It was a bit congested and I did find myself passing LOADS of people, but I wasn't stressing. Took the pace as it came and didn't look at the watch for the whole thing. Half way into the second mile we turned onto the road and into the wind for 2 miles, lovely:rolleyes:. There was a bit of a drag here too and the pace dropped off quite a bit. At about the 4 mile mark we turned again but the wind STILL seemed to be head on?! It was only when we turned into the last mile - the home straight - that the wind was behind us. Once we got into the last stretch in front of the stands I put the foot down and headed for home. A brief moment of 'almost....' after I crossed the line :o but I managed to hold onto my breakfast :D.
    Not my fastest 10K, but I guess it's a good reflection of where I'm at at the moment and seeing as I'm just 2 weeks after a chest infection, I'm actually very satisfied with the way it went.

Splits:
    8:15/ 8:17 / 8:35 / 8:40 / 8:14 / 8:11 / 7:38 (0.26)

Must say that the organisation was spot on. A few minutes delay at the start, but seeing as they had to get all 1300 or so runners 1k from the assembly / bag drop area to the start, that was a pretty good feat. Plenty of marshals around the route, bottles of water at 6k, roads closed (mostly) and plenty of goodies (sweeties) in the bag. And a nice medal and t-shirt too. Good job guys!

I know the traffic can be a pain around there sometimes, but we got there in no time, and sailed home with no delays.

Time for Macaroni & Cheese and a beer now (total indulgence :D:P)
    Summary : 6.26 mi in 52:09
    Avg Pace: 8:20 min/mi

Monday
    Legs were a bit tight after the 10k so went bouldering instead of a run. Good fun.

Tuesday
    Had to squeeze in a run so lunchtime was the preferred option. Not the most ideal time for me, but needs must. Did a 3 mile loop over to Cabinteely and back - all I could manage with limited time. Just enough time to shower, grab a bite and get back to the desk. Nothing to write home about... but I did were a t-shirt for the second time this year!? :D
    Summary 3.20 mi in 29:00
    Avg Pace: 9:04 min/mi

Wednesday
    Short run around the park in the sunshine - though it was a wee bit chilly. A grand run.
    Summary 3.10 mi 29:03
    Avg Pace: 9:23 min/mi

• Advertisement

Summary of things since last I logged in (being a bit lax on this log recently :rolleyes:)

Thursday 16th
    Pilates
    Lots of leg work. Felt it afterwards. Was intending to go for a run, but wussed out and met some friends out instead :o .

Weekend 17th -19th
    Was in Limerick at a gym competition - 2 days sitting on plastic benches for 6 hours at a time. But it was all worth it for the medal haul.
    Went for a spot of Bouldering when we got back - just for the craic.

Monday 20th
    Woke up with a bit of a stiff neck. But I reckoned the lunchtime Pilates would probably help. However, the class was with the stand in instructor and we did a few different poses which were not so comfortable. My neck started to stiffen up as the day wore on and I could barely turn my head by evening.
    Heat packs and scarves for the next 48 hours... so no running on Tuesday.

Wednesday 22nd
    Tried an easy 3 miles on the grass. Very tentative as the crick was still there, but not so prevalent. Went OK.

Thursday 23rd
    My company had a few teams entered in the Dublin Staff Relay - 5x5K - and I was on one, so headed to Phoenix Park for 5.30. Freezing day with lots of blustery wind, clouds and intermittent showers. We were lucky that the rain stayed away for the event, but it was pretty cold hanging about. I was doing the first leg, and after checking out the change over area with runner #2, I did a brief warm-up, picked up a baton and headed over to the start area.
    Route started in the field in the 25 acres, down the Khyber and up and around Military road, back up to acres road and the last bit was on the grass through the 'race village'. I passed under the finish gantry with 20 minutes just gone, so knew there was a serious overstatement in the route distance! Turns out it was just over 2.6 miles (or 4.3km). As well... Good fun, but definitely more of a 'team building' event than a 'race'. It would have been great if the weather had cooperated, but 10c and 30kpm winds were not much fun.

Saturday 25th
    WWR Driver. Kept meaning to fit in a run as I pottered around some of the stages of the Wicklow Way Relay, but never actually managed it... And after the sun (sun? yes, sun!) and the fresh air and the driving and the waiting around I really didn't feel like it by the time we got home 9 hours later - wrecked. But hey - enjoyed the day! :p

Sunday 26th
    After being absent for most of Saturday, Sunday morning was spent on the usual house management and kid organisation stuff, so by the time we got out for a run, it was after 1 and the summer sun was high in the sky (what - sun 2 days in a row?!) KC was on recovery from his WWR challenge so decided to join me - at my pace - for a few miles.
    We headed out to Bray and along the cliff walk. Nice on the way out, slight headwind kept us cool. I turned around after 4 miles (he continued on for a bit) and immediately the temperature went up. The run back along the prom was not pleasant and by the time I climbed back up castle street I was really feeling it. KC passed me - looking very chipper and fresh! - and I though I might even have to stop off to get water... but I was only a mile or so from the house so kept going.
    The road home from that point was thankfully tree lined and was blessedly cool and very welcome. The hundreds of cars lining the road (cemetery Sunday) was not so welcome. Lots of weaving and scooting around cars and people... 8 hard earned miles. And as if I needed any evidence - I am NOT good in the sun :(

Followed up with a spot of climbing and bouldering. Fun :D

Monday 27th
    Seemed to have bruised my foot (laces too tight maybe?) and couldn't put a shoe on, so ended up going to work in sandals (while it was raining!)
    Went for a swim instead of running barefoot. Not too much effort expended, but it was a nice change.

Tuesday
    Still in the sandals, so I took the executive decision to give it another day before lacing up the runners again. Made a nice dinner for all my hardworking students instead.

Advertisement