Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the PB last weekend, great running and great report...onwards to DCM!!(jealous.com):o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

...and a spot of bouldering for the ladies on Wednesday evening once I'd finished my run. The menfolk were otherwise occupied, and as mini-me had no gym, we headed over for some quality girl time. It was Free Ladies Bouldering Coaching so the place was full of the weaker fairer sex (weaker definitely does not apply in that company!) and we had a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

just catching up - nice running in Athlone. PB City by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats on the pb Emer, sounds like you ran a very strong race in Athlone, sets you up nicely now for the last few weeks of training :)

Thursday
    Late for the club run so just did a few miles on my own-e-oh. Threw in some strides at the end, just to shake u the legs a bit.
    3.8 miles

Friday Rest day

Saturday
    20 miles in the plan and I'd arranged to meet 3 of the club girls who were doing 16. I brought a 250ml bottle of water with me and packed a gel and a half bag of sports beans. Nice early start again for this as I had a wedding in the afternoon and had to get back to get the hair done before that. Oh the pressure :rolleyes:

Warm one out there too. We headed towards Cabinteely via the back route and we were all planning on using the facilities in the park, but when we got there we noticed the new toilets they've built are all coin operated! :eek: And who carries 20c coins when they're out for a run?! Doh! So onwards to the shopping centre for the loos there. I'm sure we looked a sight walking through the shop, but needs must :D
    On again and around the 12 mile mark I took a gel and was chatting along with one of the girls when, out of nowhere, she got violently and unexpectedly attacked by a lamp post. Boom! and she was flat out on the ground. I know it sounds like a joke, but she got a right bang and we were all a bit worried. We called her hubbie to come get her and walked her up to the corner where he was going to meet us, while she repeatedly told us to go ahead...
    - she's fine now, a bit bruised but OK -
    ...resuming the run, we had an incident with an old dear trying to mow us down at a crossroads (sheesh!) but kept going and got back to home base in one piece and with 16 on the clock for the girls. I headed on for the last 4 on my own, after getting my water bottle refilled by one of the girls. Needed that!
    The last few were not pretty (and of course that's when I get a shout out from a work colleague :rolleyes:). I got to the house with 19.58 on the watch, but with the walk earlier (about .5 mile) and the run over to the meet the girls (not on the watch) I was happy enough to call that 20.

Only one more of these before the taper. Woo hoo!
    Hopefully the next one will be less exciting! :confused:

• Advertisement

Sunday
    Woke up sneezing! And sneezed for most of the day... at which point I thought my head was going to fall off. Even my teeth were sore :confused:
    So I didn't go for a run. But I did join the crew for some top rope climbing and bouldering in the afternoon. I was still sneezing but managed to hold it off for long enough to get some climbing done.

Monday
    Still feeling like sh1te I supped on lemsip for the day and didn't do anything strenuous at all.

Tuesday
    I did go to the lunchtime Pilates - with a handful of tissues in tow - and managed to survive it. Feeling a bit better but still took a rest day from the running. Don't want to go pushing myself at this stage and be out for a fortnight later?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

wise decision Emer to rest up, lots if headcolds and sniffles going around so take care out there!!;)

Wednesday
    3 days off was quite enough, so even though it was foggy and damp and raining that soft mist that just wets you through in seconds, I decided to join some of the girls for a few miles. They had a 10 mile loop planned, so I reckoned I'd do the first few with them and turn back.
    Which is what I did. Ended up with 6.5 miles done, including some proper hills.
    Grand stuff.

Thursday
    Club run night, so just an easy 40 minutes around the park. 4 miles covered.

Friday Rest day

Saturday
    Nice early start (again) to do some of the Dublin route with a few running mates. We only went wrong once - which wasn't bad, considering we hadn't a clue where we were and were taking our directions from the written out road names in my (soggy) back pocket :D
    All was going great and then an old injury made a reappearance for one of the girls and she was doing a bit of walk-running for a mile or so before calling it a day. We left her with some taxi money and headed on, in through Terenure, Rathfarnham, Clonskeagh and finishing up on Fosters Avenue, with 'Heartbreak Hill' conquered (Ah sure it's only a wee thing! What's all the fuss about?)
    I had turned off my watch when we stopped and didn't notice it was still off until about 2 miles later, so the Garmin track, time and average pace is a bit off, but according to the others, it was about 15.5 miles covered.
    A good run. And all finished and home by 11:30. :D

• Advertisement

Sunday 29th Sept

The Club had decided to 'Represent' at the Tipperary (Womens) Mini Marathon so a gang of us headed down to Clonmel bright and early.
    These early mornings are becoming a habit. I'm definitely treating myself to a lie in some weekend soon...
    The plan was to take this handy enough at about marathon pace. Ran with two of my marathon buddies and was very comfortable at a nice easy pace for the first half. I let the legs go a bit from about the 6k mark and passed one runner after the other all the way in to the finish. Very happy with that. Felt very comfortable throughout and easily upped the pace for the last few kilometres.
    Splits per mile were 8:27, 8:31, 8:45, 8:35, 8:01, 7:45 , 7:21 /mi (0.22)

6.22 miles in 51:40 (51:37 chip time)
    Average pace 8:19 min/mi (hmmm, a wee bit faster than pmp then :rolleyes:)

Total of 8 miles for the day with the warm-up and cool-down.

...and then went to the climbing centre with the family for a few hours just to finish off the day. A spot of bouldering, some really good top rope climbs and I even managed to do two full chin ups, all by myself (whoop whoop!) :D:p

Today was a good day.:cool:

Did nothing on Monday. Was too knackered when I got home (late) so just ate dinner.

Tuesday
    Pilates at lunchtime was cancelled but I'd scheduled a yoga class with my favourite yoga instructor (who is back from Germany) for the evening, so didn't mind so much. As I left work I thought I might squeeze in a few miles before the yoga, but had some unexpected visitors and couldn't escape in time.
    Yoga was... interesting. I haven't done any in ages (years?) and didn't know if I'd manage to do anything. Now it wasn't exactly graceful, but I managed most things and even got into a headstand for the first time in about 3 years :eek:.
    Good though. Great to have her back.:D

Wednesday
    9 miles in soggy, grey, blah weather. It wasn't raining when I left, thankfully, but I was dripping when I got back home. Ran this with a few club mates and the time flew by. Nice to get a decent few miles done. The hamstrings were a bit tight after the yoga yesterday but they eased out after a few minutes.

...now time for a bickie, I think? :P

Thursday
    Club run day. Easy enough today. We had some juveniles joining us for this, and with the 10K race last sunday for some, and a cross country race this coming sunday for others, it was nothing too strenuous. Some intervals of 30s, 45s, 1min, 2, min, 3 min, 4 min and a few others thrown in too... I wasn't really paying too much attention.
    So just shy of 4 miles covered in total.

Post running I headed over to Awesome Walls for an hour and a half of fun bouldering. Hands are in bits now - but it's all good :D
    I even did a few chin ups in the training room - all by myself :D:cool:
    I guess the weedy girly arm muscles are getting stronger :o

Friday
    Rest day.

Saturday
    Last long one. 20 miles done and dusted. Really early again, but as the day wore on the sun got brighter and stronger, so I was very happy to be finished and home by 11am. What is up with the weather? Bright, sunny and 18c on a Saturday in October - in Ireland?!
    The girls were doing 22 (:eek:) so the plan was for me join them after 2. But I was late out and they'd done 3 by the time I met them, so ended up doing the last mile solo. Ah well.
    An uneventful run this week, thankfully. Aside from a loo stop after 10 or so, it was steady and pleasant enough. Still a bit knackered now but that's to be expected.

23 days to D-Day.
    Let the taper (madness) begin :D

Sunday
    Out for a few recovery miles and I bumped into some of my 'long run' pals who couldn't make it yesterday, so joined them for a bit of a chat and ended up doing a mile or so more than I'd planned. 5 slow ones in total. Boy it was warm out there too. Glad I got my long one out of the way yesterday.

Followed this up with a couple of hours bouldering with mini-me. Got some good climbing in, and even managed to finish a route that has defeated me up to now. Nice feeling to finally conquer my 'nemisis' :D

Monday Rest day

Tuesday 4 miles easy on the grass in the park. This felt way harder (and slower) than it should have, but I guess that's just what happens at this stage in the plan...

Wednesday 8 miles with the club mates in the park. It went better than I expected and it was great to have the company while we went round and round and round the fields and paths.

Thursday
    All go today.
    Lunchtime Pilates - rescheduled from Tuesday. Ouch! Legs were in BITS after this.

Club Run in the evening. Last evening in the park (no lighting) so we did a pyramid session. 200, 400, 600, 800 and back down again. It was cooler than it has been so I had gloves, hat and running jacket on for this, and though I unzipped the jacket I never really got too warm.
    Didn't really have any expectation for this. Ran it 'controlled' and a few of us were very similar paced. so it was good to have someone to follow / stay ahead off / work off. Recovery was about 2 - 3 minutes between reps. Splits were:

No.|time|distance (mi)|pace/mi
    1| 0:51.7 |0.12| 7:09
    2| 1:32.9 |0.23| 6:45
    3| 2:27.8 |0.35| 6:58
    4| 3:25.8 |0.47| 7:16
    5| 2:31.6 |0.35| 7:14
    6| 1:39.6 |0.24| 6:56
    7| 0:42.0 |0.12| 5:50

Looking back on this now I'm kind of surprised with myself . I didn't really feel too pushed for any of these (except the last 200 - that was all out!) so it's nice to see the pace was (for me) pretty reasonable.

Warm up, cool down and all got me to about 4.5 miles for the day.

And to finish up for the day, we headed out for some top-rope climbing. Only got 2 climbs done but I was wrecked after that so we called it a day once mini-me had a blast on some of the more challenging bouldering routes.

Busy day! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Emer911 wrote: »
    23 days to D-Day.
    Let the taper (madness) begin :D

17 sleeps!! :eek::D

claralara wrote: »
    17 sleeps!! :eek::D

Not long now.... ;)
    Hope your training is going well. See you in the aftermath. You can have a seat in McGrattans warmed up for me :D

• Advertisement

Saturday
    Long Run Day
    So this is really the last long(ish) run before the big day. :eek: 16 miles done and dusted this morning with some of the club girls. There was a good gang of us for this one and we caused quite a stir with our array of colourful luminous attire on the back roads of south Dublin. :D
    The legs were feeling very tired this morning and my hamstrings and calf muscles felt tight and stiff. Lets just say I was not feeling the love. They didn't bother me when we got going (except for the tiredness) and I'm going to book a massage for later this week to give myself a bit of a treat (or maybe a torture session would be a better description?).

We did some miles on the grass in the park to start and then headed out on the backroads towards Kilteernan, Carrickmines, Cornlescourt and back along the N11. It's a challenging route with some nice drags and steep bits (both up and down!) but I was happy to see that our last 3 miles were all at around marathon pace. So even though we had a reasonably hard day, on tired legs, we could all up the pace for the last few. Nice to know. :cool:

So some R&R this evening.

16 sleeps to go.

Sunday
    Super Slow recovery run on the grass this morning. Just did 30 minutes. Legs are still feeling a bit heavy and the knees are starting to ache a bit, but sure we're nearly there now.

35.5 miles for the week
    74 miles for the month so far
    884 miles for the year to date

Monday
    Missed the climbing on Sunday so went today instead. Some really good (new) routes on the walls so we had a blast. 2 good hours of top rope climbing and some a good bit more difficult that I thought I'd be able for, so felt really proud of myself for getting them done (though I was SOOO slow and probably made it look SOOO much harder than it was :D:P)

Tuesday
    Pilates at lunchtime and I was wrecked for the afternoon - jelly legs and everything.

Wednesday
    6 mile run in the plan. Steady one and decided to do it around the pmp. First one slightly slower, next one slightly faster, and repeat... Found it tough to dial in the correct paces but think I started to feel it towards the end.

I had to do this one later that expected and boy was it dark! At least the rain had stopped though. Looks like the winter is closing in :rolleyes:

Thursday
    Club Run. Doing hills - well, mini-hill, but it was good. 6 reps with jog back recovery. Felt good - bit of a blast.

Friday rest day

Saturday
    The last LSR before D-day (or should I say M-day?) Nice day for it, and the chat was flowing. Everyone was in good spirits and we finished our 12 miles feeling well up for the big one - NOT! I think the old 'taper madness' sickness has set in, cause we were all doubting ourselves and our planned paces. Sniffles, sore throats, headaches, upset tummies - they were all hitting one or other of us at some stage this week... total phantoms of course! I think we're a crowd of hypochondriacs :D :P
    Sure we'll be grand :rolleyes:

Went top-rope climbing with the OH (we were abandoned by the other pair) and the centre was jammed. There was a juvenile climbing competition on (wow! some very very impressive kids and teenagers out there:eek:) and lots of groups doing tasters. We managed to get some good (new) routes in and I even attempted (badly) a higher level climb - though I had to bail out of it pretty early - but at least I tried it! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If you and the Clown tear up DCM (and I'm sure you both will!!! :D), bouldering locations may become mysteriously packed with endurance runners!!! :) Looking forward to meeting you and the hubby over happy endurance refreshments. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    If you and the Clown tear up DCM (and I'm sure you both will!!! :D), bouldering locations may become mysteriously packed with endurance runners!!! :) Looking forward to meeting you and the hubby over happy endurance refreshments. :)

Ha Ha - that would be 'new thing' then, would it:D?

Don't think I'll be tearing anything up, but an uneventful, smooth run, unaffected by random injury or freak weather would be nice (for a change;))

Looking forward to meeting you in a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck on Monday Emer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck Emer, no doubt you'll have a stormer! (Pardon the weather pun)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Best of luck tomorrow Emer, have a great day!

Hopefully the bus will get us in in time to see you both smash it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

Best of luck tomorrow Emer. I'll be following progress from in front of the fire :)

(from the artiste formerly known as lb:cool:)

Advertisement