Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Company Oust Cheating Spouse.

Options
  • 22-05-2010 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Alrighty y'all this story comes fresh out of canada.
    Gabriella Nagy lives with her husband but she has a boyfriend on the side. Anyways she goes to her cell phone company over in Canada and gets a mobile phone in her maiden name. Her husband has a landline and Internet service with the same company in his name, two different names living at the same address. Anyways the mobile phone company goes ahead and merges the two bills, anyways long story short, the husband obviously was looking at these bills and discovers all the wife's calls to this unknown number. Anyways he dials the number up and finds that his wife is cheating on him, all hell breaks loose ect.

Now most people including myself would say that she deserves that, but is it fair or right that the mobile phone company merged the two bills ?

Whats your opinions on the matter ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/gabriella-nagy-claims-cel_n_578699.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

t4k30 wrote: »
    Alrighty y'all this story comes fresh out of canada.
    Gabriella Nagy lives with her husband but she has a boyfriend on the side. Anyways she goes to her cell phone company over in Canada and gets a mobile phone in her maiden name. Her husband has a landline and Internet service with the same company in his name, two different names living at the same address. Anyways the mobile phone company goes ahead and merges the two bills, anyways long story short, the husband obviously was looking at these bills and discovers all the wife's calls to this unknown number. Anyways he dials the number up and finds that his wife is cheating on him, all hell breaks loose ect.

Now most people including myself would say that she deserves that, but is it fair or right that the mobile phone company merged the two bills ?

Whats your opinions on the matter ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/gabriella-nagy-claims-cel_n_578699.html

well that is her sorted financially for life.
    The mobile phone company could be in serious do-do over that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

why would they do that? isnt it more likely from the company's point of view that they were 2 people sharing a house?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

i think its the lesser of two evils

she cheated so thats the bad part and got caught. she used an alias for another phone and it caught up on her.

maybe she was using the same account and documentation and forgot her own story

karma.

its a bit ronanesque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

CDfm wrote: »
    i think its the lesser of two evils
    Rubbish. What is important is not to focus on the adultery (and by extension some idiotic karma train of logic), but the actions of the phone company.

What they did can only be explained in two ways; either they somehow knew that they were married (an assumption that needs explanation in itself) and automatically combined them, without consent, or someone just screwed up.

Either way if the action to combine the accounts was initiated by the phone company, then it was either gross incompetence or a combined breach of privacy, personal rights and example of chauvinism. Neither of which would necessarily be limited to merging accounts in future.

As trite as it would be to justify it in this adulterous scenario, we would be ignoring many other cases where this moralistic fig-leaf would not apply - such as cohabiting couples who have chosen to keep their finances separate, or even flatmates.

I really think that excusing it as "the lesser of two evils" trivializes a serious breach that can affect all consumers, not just the ones that you think 'deserve it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,248 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I wonder did the company asked the husband when he was signing up the account if the other mobile account at the address was his or should be included. The company should keep account under different names seperate of course but sounds like accidental breach of privacy, so company should just get slap on wrist... can't blame them for the fall out from the cheating

• Advertisement

I wonder did the company asked the husband when he was signing up the account if the other mobile account at the address was his or should be included. The company should keep account under different names seperate of course but sounds like accidental breach of privacy, so company should just get slap on wrist... can't blame them for the fall out from the cheating
    Depends on how liability works in Canada. Just because someone was involved in immoral or even unethical activities does not invalidate their right to claim for damages. If you injure a burglar in the process of robbing your home, they actually can successfully sue you for damages.

I remember a lawyer wistfully mooting that in such a scenario it is actually cheaper to kill them; damages for unlawful killing are capped at something like 20k, while if you, for example, paralyze them - you will end up having to pay considerably more.

if she hadnt had the affair she wouldnt have gottencaught.

a bit like ronan keating really

if she hadnt had the affair she wouldnt have gottencaught.
    And if the phone company had not undertaken to merge the accounts she would not have gotten caught. And if she had used a different phone company she would not have gotten caught. I really don't see the relevance of all this karma BS.

Whatever are the circumstances of this particular case, the bottom line is that something appears to be seriously wrong with what the phone company in question did. To suggest that the phone company acting in an incompetent manner or with disregard for customer privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

If she had been in an open relationship the phone company would have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'd say the company asked the guy if the bills should be merged and it was pretty much an accident,

However, they shouldn't have assumed he knew about the bill. Imagine the implications if a bank asked a guy if he'd like his wife's bank statement merged with his. There's no tangible difference here. How "immoral" she is out and out irrelevent, they compromised her privacy and should face the consequences.

• Advertisement

When you sign up for a phone and broadband package you sign lots of forms.She was fairly silly to use her home address.

But the consequences of having the afair were hers.

Now you can argue that the phone company were wrong and they were but he didnt divorce her for having a mobile phone he did not know about.

And the phone bill probably only confirmed his suspicions

Now you can argue that the phone company were wrong and they were but he didnt divorce her for having a mobile phone he did not know about.
    OK, now I'm lost. Is this thread about corporate misbehavior or adultery? If it is about the latter it should be marked better.

OK, now I'm lost. Is this thread about corporate misbehavior or adultery? If it is about the latter it should be marked better.

I think it is a bit of both.

The OP concerns a lady sueing for the fallout from her marriage concerning a merged phone account.

Its a bit like Mrs Ronan Keating picking up Ronans second mobile phone.

Read PI any day and you will see people saying, I picked up his/her mobile, he she/left their email/facebook open and emotional cheating (which i dont get)

She is claiming damages for the financial loss she incurred as a result of her affair being discovered as a result of a clerical error by the phone company.

If a bank mistakenly puts a million in my account and its a mistake it is not my money. I cant sue them for their mistake as such. It is not my money.

Look at it this way.If judge judy had this in her court what would she say

Advertisement