Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another wedding outfit thread :)

• 22-05-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a wedding to go to of an old school friend very soon, I just bought two amazing Gunne sax style vintage dresses from the 70s and would love to wear one as they pretty much epitomise summer to me.

I don't have a working camera at the mine so have to make do with these pics I found, it's along these lines in terms of cuts and overall style. The sleeves are like the second dress though billowy and tie in at the wrist with a line of pearl buttons. Theres lots of lace around the neck and lace tiers down the skirt.

6a00e553bc5256883401156fbead17970c-200wi

4112859271_5c1f502278.jpg

But more like this one in terms of the fabric and pattern.. It's cream with a really delecate floral pattern on it and cream lace.

3-18.jpg

So what do ye reckon? The bride is very cool and owuldn't be massively bothered about convention or anything (she's wearing red sequined platforms from a burlesque website herself) but I'm wary of the whole out dressing the bride thing and it has a lot of lace detail. I would love to wear it so much though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If it is cream and lacy and full-length ... well, personally, I wouldn't wear it to a wedding.

It's not really about "outshining" the bride or anything ... but the thing is, she might be quite unconventional herself, but there may be friends/relations from the other side of the family attending only the afters, who might not know the bride, and will assume that she's the one in the long flowing cream dress!

I know that I myself would not be in any way offended by pretty much anything that my guests might wear to my wedding. But at the same time ... well, if I were attending a wedding, I'd hate to even run the slightest risk of offending or putting out the bride, in any way. So I personally would steer clear of a dress like that, just in case.

That's just my own 2c though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

If it is cream and lacy and full-length ... well, personally, I wouldn't wear it to a wedding....

I have to agree, it sounds like a beautiful dress but if it were me I would steer clear of anything cream/white/ivory for a wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Crap thought as much, jesus never thought of being mistaken for the bride holy crap that'd be embarassing! Dammit was hoping everyone would tell me it was grand and to go for it :D Can't think what else to wear thats summery enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Crap thought as much, jesus never thought of being mistaken for the bride holy crap that'd be embarassing! Dammit was hoping everyone would tell me it was grand and to go for it :D Can't think what else to wear thats summery enough.

Use it as an excuse to treat yourself to something new! :D

Seems like a gorgeous dress by the way, really unusual, hopefully you'll get a chance to show it off somewhere soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Use it as an excuse to treat yourself to something new! :D

Seems like a gorgeous dress by the way, really unusual, hopefully you'll get a chance to show it off somewhere soon!

he he any excuse! ;)

Ya they're amazing it's a bit of a pet obsession of mine, I plan on starting a proper colelction of original vintage dresses by the designer that created the style in ths 70s at some point I'd love the space to actually display them on proper dress makers manicans though.

There's actually a blog just for pics of different styles of gunne dresses:

http://gunnesonparade.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=5

Only problem is one with a waist size over 28 inches is very rare and 30 would be comfier on me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement