Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This mentality............

• 23-05-2010 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Time and time again I read these panic threads............. "my test is in 3 weeks HELP"

Now that's fine and perfectly understandable if people have actually prepared properly with, dare I say it, proper driving lessons. But, the number of times these threads appear when the OP has had no proper instruction. Invariably a lot of folk leave it too late. Why not start out from scratch?

Even with the set up of the RSA and their initiatives it'll take a generation to reverse (pardon the pun) the attitudes that exist regarding learning to drive.

I really don't understand why people don't properly prepare for what is an expensive test. The same people generally will moan to whoever will listen to them when they have failed.

Bottom line is is you prepare properly for your test you greatly increase your chances of passing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Because lessons can be expensive, and so get taught in other ways.

Not everybody is rich you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I wasn't rich 17 years ago when I took my lessons and they were £14, it's comparable to the cost these days.

I'm questioning the mindset, not the cost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

People are not smart. Common sense is not common. I'm not sure what more you want.

People are not smart. Common sense is not common. I'm not sure what more you want.

:D I'll take the 5th

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hahaha, fair enough :)

• Advertisement

hahaha, fair enough :)

I aint arguing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Time and time again I read these panic threads............. "my test is in 3 weeks HELP"

Now that's fine and perfectly understandable if people have actually prepared properly with, dare I say it, proper driving lessons. But, the number of times these threads appear when the OP has had no proper instruction. Invariably a lot of folk leave it too late. Why not start out from scratch?

Even with the set up of the RSA and their initiatives it'll take a generation to reverse (pardon the pun) the attitudes that exist regarding learning to drive.

I really don't understand why people don't properly prepare for what is an expensive test. The same people generally will moan to whoever will listen to them when they have failed.

Bottom line is is you prepare properly for your test you greatly increase your chances of passing it.

Because people are stupid. They think they can save money by not taking lessons. It's a false economy because you end up picking up the bad habits of whichever boyfriend/friend/parent "taught" you and then failing the test.

Of course, it's always the tester's fault when they fail.
    "They have to fail X amount of people"
    "They failed me cos I'm a young man and they are prejudiced against me"
    "They failed me cos I'm a young woman and they are prejudiced against me"
    "The tester was a prick"

Blah blah blah...

Magenta wrote: »
    Because people are stupid. They think they can save money by not taking lessons. It's a false economy because you end up picking up the bad habits of whichever boyfriend/friend/parent "taught" you and then failing the test.

Of course, it's always the tester's fault when they fail.
    "They have to fail X amount of people"
    "They failed me cos I'm a young man and they are prejudiced against me"
    "They failed me cos I'm a young woman and they are prejudiced against me"
    "The tester was a prick"

Blah blah blah...

That's pretty much my thoughts on it. That said, the fact that it's gone on here for years it's almost like learned behaviour. The authorities are at fault for not clamping down on it years ago and people who continue to do it are at fault for not learning correctly despite knowing the obvious benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I'd say people cram for exams all over the world. With exams of an academic nature at very least you will have done the coursework and therefore have some clue about what standard you might expect to come up against in the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So are cars and motoring in general. If you can afford to run a car you can afford lessons. If you can't afford both you shouldn't be driving. Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

Everyone is trying to save money at the moment and you can’t blame people.....

Driving Lessons are 30 – 40 euro an hour, that’s a lot of money to most but very little for a driving instructor who is quite and only getting 10 – 20 lessons a week.

Ask a driving instructor about a deal..... Tell them you need lessons but are short on cash..... Do two lessons a week and GET a better price on the lessons because you’re doing TWO lessons in the week.

Driving Instructors are not making money sitting at home so LOOK FOR A DEAL and if the instructor can do it, “well and good”.

If you have a car you can travel greater distance for work, so more chance of a job. Get lessons, look at the videos on our website, pass your test and hopefully get a job because you have a FULL licence.

This reminds me of a conversation I had years ago on how training can save you money.
    Most people pay big money on insurance, cars, fuel but don’t spend on training/lessons. This means they spend a lot of money getting experience before they pass their test. Test dates were 12 months apart at the time, which means if you fail you will be driving two years before you pass (if you pass on the second test).

So let’s look at the figures, DO THIS UP YOURSELF based on your situation.
    I’ll base it on one test.
    Insurance = 1500 per year
    Tax on a 1.3 = 278
    petrol = 20 per week

TOTAL €2.818 per year (to get experience) not including cost of car, NCT, Driving test and if you get caught for a fine.

New RSA rules states you can only sit a driving test if you have held a learners permit over 6 months. But test dates are been giving within six months. Which means you can get two tests in a 12 month

Based on one test. (6 months)
    TOTAL = €1.409 + 10 lessons @ €35 ph = €1.759
    (10 lessons added to the driving gained with people you know)

Don’t forget when you pass your test you save money on insurance, normally about the value of ten lessons, €300 - €400.
    So when you spend money on training you safe a lot after you pass you test.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

^ Good post, Brian.

However, you don't always save a lot when you pass the test. For me, an 18 year old male (obviously insurance is very expensive), I passed the test this morning but I won't get any considerable money off my insurance (if any!) as I am still an 18 year old male, but now I can drive on my own and on motorways etc. If anything I'm more risky to the insurance company now than I was when I was on a Learner Permit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Tinker_Bella

I did my test this morning (passed) and I had a month from booking to prepare. I had been driving since just before christmas but in that month I drove with my boyfriend everyday and had pre tests.

I felt i learnt more from when i went out with my boyfriend than the €40 an hour pre test with an instructor. The instructor didnt give me much guidence, i think they just wanted me to book more pretests but i couldnt because of the cost, and checking their phone during the lesson and when i asked a particular question about my driving the instructor would be like "uh yeah thats fine" and when i asked the same question to my boyfriend he gave me an answer which i helped me on the test.

I think i learnt more from my boyfriend because he did his test last year so it was relatively fresh in his head. How long has it been since the instructors have done their test? do they get regular checking? I no its their job but little things could slip their mind that if it is done persistently through a test you will get a grade 2.

I think it is good to get lessons but for the cost of them you should ask a friend/family member/partner that you trust will give you an honest answer on your driving. I may have lost my temper at times with my boyfriend for his honesty but i thank him for it because i didnt get that from an instructor and plus my boyfriend didnt charge for lessons :)

Hi Tinker

• There are a lot of driving instructors like me out there who work very hard to help people and don't get anything back. I know your boyfriend helped but where did he get the information to pass on to you?
    • All professional driving instructors get checked regularly (I myself, last month)
    • What you think of your instructor is very understandable BUT we are not all like that.

Thank you for your comment and if you don't mind was your instructor one of the sponsors on my site. You can PM me their name.

I did my test this morning (passed) and I had a month from booking to prepare. I had been driving since just before christmas but in that month I drove with my boyfriend everyday and had pre tests.

I felt i learnt more from when i went out with my boyfriend than the €40 an hour pre test with an instructor. The instructor didnt give me much guidence, i think they just wanted me to book more pretests but i couldnt because of the cost, and checking their phone during the lesson and when i asked a particular question about my driving the instructor would be like "uh yeah thats fine" and when i asked the same question to my boyfriend he gave me an answer which i helped me on the test.

I think i learnt more from my boyfriend because he did his test last year so it was relatively fresh in his head. How long has it been since the instructors have done their test? do they get regular checking? I no its their job but little things could slip their mind that if it is done persistently through a test you will get a grade 2.

I think it is good to get lessons but for the cost of them you should ask a friend/family member/partner that you trust will give you an honest answer on your driving. I may have lost my temper at times with my boyfriend for his honesty but i thank him for it because i didnt get that from an instructor and plus my boyfriend didnt charge for lessons :)

Getting addition lessons from someone can be a great help which I'd always encourage unless it started to affect their progress.

Just for your info your boyfriend has to hold his licence for 4 years before you should have been out with him.

It sounds as though you had bad luck when you chose your instructor.

ADI's must have a "Check Test" within 2 years of qualifying and within every 2 years thereafter. So yes, we are checked.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Just for your info your boyfriend has to hold his licence for 4 years before you should have been out with him.

I thought it was 2 years? Or has it been changed? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought they only had to have their licence for 2 years.

I thought it was 2 years? Or has it been changed? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought they only had to have their licence for 2 years.

Pretty sure it's 4. Eg. I'm almost certain that you can't teach anyone until you turn 21 and have held a full licence for 4 years.

If someone can correct me then fair enough ;) BUT you said he'd only passed last year :D I only said it in case he decides to help someone else and ends up in bother with the cops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Pretty sure it's 4. Eg. I'm almost certain that you can't teach anyone until you turn 21 and have held a full licence for 4 years.

If someone can correct me then fair enough ;) BUT you said he'd only passed last year :D I only said it in case he decides to help someone else and ends up in bother with the cops

No it's 2 years and there's no age restriction

brian076 wrote: »
    No it's 2 years and there's no age restriction

Sound, I couldn't find the info for here. It definitely is as I described in Scotland where I'm from

• Advertisement

According to This Site
    The holder must be accompanied by a driver who has had a full licence for at least two years.

(I'll try and find a more reliable source)

All learner permit holders, with the exception of those who hold a learner permit in category A1(Motorcycles), A(Motorcyle,no greater than 125cc), or M(Mopeds), must be accompanied by a qualified driver at all times while driving. A qualified driver is one who holds a full licence for a continuous period of two years in respect of the vehicle category being driven by the learner permit holder.

A person holding a category W(work vehicles/land tractors) learner permit is not permitted to carry a passenger unless the vehicle is constructed or adapted to carry a passenger and the passenger is a qualified driver – ie, a person who has held a full licence for the vehicle category for at least two years.

SEE HERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I find it odd that these people who can't be bothered studying for the test and taking lessons would actually take the time to ask for help on these boards??
    I haven't seen many posts tbh of people asking for help who have actually had no lessons and lack interest in paying for some...I do believe a lot of people are taking it more seriously these days, you can tell by the disappointment after some fail. And the blaming the tester thing, well I understand it..when certain testers make you feel uncomfortable and add to your pressure, it's easy to blame them for stupid little mistakes you make due to stress. I said it's easy, not neccessarily right.
    A lot of people do the blame thing everyday in different situations when things don't turn out right.

Advertisement