Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stork Christmas leaflets

Options
  • 23-05-2010 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone

I am new here - just came across this site while doing an online search. When I lived in Ireland in the 80s (I'm in Canada now) I acquired a couple of Stork Christmas leaflets which contained gorgeous recipes. In fact, I have been making Christmas cake, pudding and mincemeat from them ever since. Also the best sausagemeat stuffing you ever tasted. I moved house recently and those leaflets have gone missing - yikes! Does anyone have those same leaflets and would be happy to copy them for me? I'll pay for the copying and postage, of course.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭sjaakie

hi, I happen to have a Stork leaflet named: "christmas baking" . would that be one of use to you?

regards, Jackie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

have a look on the odlums website they may be similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I don't have the leaflets but I do have a stork Good Food Cookbook by paula daly from the 80's that is my most cherished cookbook in my collection! I know it has the sausagemeat receipe in it and I'd bet it's the same.

I don't mind typing out recipes for everyone's benefit if you can tell me which ones you want apart from the sausagemeat stuffing?

Sufficient for a 10-12 lb. 4.5-5.5 kg Turkey.

Ingredients:
    2lb/900g sausagemeat
    2oz/50g Stork Margarine
    1 large onion chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    1 teaspoon mixed herbs
    4oz/125g breadcrumbs
    1 egg lightly beaten

Method:
    Place sausagemeat in mixing bowl.
    Melt the stork and fry the onion until soft but not coloured.
    Add to this the parsley, mixed herbs and breadcrumbs, mix well.
    Add this mix to the sausagemeat, and mix well.
    Bind together with the beaten egg.
    Use to stuff the body cavity of the turkey.

That's one, let me know if you want more!

Racoon Queen pm'd me asking for the Stork Christmas recipe, so I thought it would be worth my while to post it up for everyone to enjoy.

Christmas Pudding from the 1978 Good Food Cookbook,
    recipes by Paula Daly.

Ingredients:
    8oz/225g Stork Margarine (or butter)

8oz/225g Dark Brown Sugar
    7oz/200g Plain Flour, sieved
    12oz/350g currants
    8oz/225g raisins
    6oz/175g sultanas
    2oz/50g mixed cut peel
    1oz/25g chopped almonds
    1oz/25g glace cherries
    6oz/175g fresh breadcrumbs
    grated rind of 1 lemon
    grated rind and juice of 1 orange
    1 rounded teaspoon nutmeg
    1 rounded teaspoon mixed spice
    2 large eggs
    3-4 tablespoons beer/milk
    2 tablespoons of whiskey or rum

Method:
    Melt the stork/butter and then add all of the other ingredients and mix very, very well.
    Place the mixture in a 2.5-3L pudding bowl.
    Line and cover the pudding bowl in the usual way (I found a place online that descibes this here)
    Steam for 5-6 hours. (My mam used to use a pressure cooker for this)
    Cool, re-cover with clean greaseproof paper and store in a cool dry place.
    On christmas day re-cover with greaseproof and foil. Steam or boil for 2-3 hours.

That's it folks, hope the recipe is of use!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grasshopper1

I can't seem to get this through. Thank you for posting the recipe. I use to have it but it got lost in all the moving around. Do you have her mince pie recipe? Would rally appreciate it if you posted it.

Thank, grasshopper1

Can't see a recipe for mincemeat itself in the book, but if you want the mince pie recipe it's here.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 funbaker

Hi,

I was home recently and spotted my mother's copy and decided to take photos of certain recipes. Everything's perfectly legible on my phone but trying to view them on the computer wasn't a success. So I've typed this one in for you. I've attached the photo of the pudding recipe as I don't have the time at the moment to type it in,sorry, but maybe it's good enough to make out. This mince pie recipe is delicious and make sure you use good spirits, makes quite a difference.

Stork mincemeat

makes 2 1/2lbs / 1.1kg

Ingredients:

1 large lemon
    8oz/225g cooking apples, peeled and chopped
    8oz/225g currants
    4oz/125g raisins
    4oz/125g sultanas
    4oz/125g mixed peel
    2oz/50g glace cherries
    4oz/125g brown sugar
    1/2 level tsp. mixed spice
    1/2 level tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/2 level tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 level tsp ground ginger
    8oz/225g stork margarine
    4 tbsp brandy whiskey or rum

Method:

1. Wash the lemon and grate the rind finely. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice
    2. Place all the fruit, sugar and spices in a bowl and add the lemon rind and juice and mix well.
    3. Melt the stork and pour over the fruit mixture. Mix well then stir in the spirits.
    4.Put in jars and cover as for jam. Leave for 2 weeks before using.

Thank you so much for your efforts. I really appreciate it. I have a really nice recipe for Carrot cake, I'll post it if your interested. Bye, and Happy Xmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 funbaker

You're welcome!:)

I'd love to try your carrot cake recipe. Thanks! My sister makes a great Carrot cake but I'd love to try a different recipe and compare them.

• Advertisement

This recipe if from 'Irish Traditional food: Theodora FitzGibbon, 1983-1992

175g. (6oz) wholemeal or white, or a mixture sifted
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    pinch of salt --your choice--
    2 generous tablespoons raisins
    100g. (4oz) grated carrot
    grated rind and juice of 1/2 an orange
    100g. (4oz) butter
    150g (5oz) brown sugar
    2 eggs.

Sift the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and reserve.
    Mix the raisins, carrots, orange rind and juice and reserve.
    In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar, and add the eggs, one at a time.
    Finally combine with the flour and carrot mixtures. Mix all together very well. The mixture should be nice and wet.

Bake in a greased and lined 20-cm (8-inch) tin for 40-60 minutes at 180ºC, 350º, Gas Mark 4. (I use an electric oven, and I find 45~48 mins is good, so trial and error is the way to go.
    After removing from the oven leave in the tin for 15 mins. to cool before taking out.
    Enjoy :)
    grasshopper1

Wow grasshopper thanks for the blast from the past! Theodora fitzgibbon was fantastic, my mam has a stack of her clippings somewhere. :)

It's a great book, some amazing recipes. My aunt was up the other day and I was showing her the book, so I typed out about 10 that she really liked : one was for pigs head, not my cup of tea, but she was thrilled to find it.

grasshopper

Advertisement