Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the really bright star / planet in the northwest sky at dusk ?

Options
  • 23-05-2010 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi. Total amateur here. Just was looking at the sky last night at dusk, and wondering what was that very bright star or planet that is in the North-west direction (from south dublin). It was very bright, and I was just wondering if any one could tell me what it was ?

Thanks. Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

mikedublin wrote: »
    Hi. Total amateur here. Just was looking at the sky last night at dusk, and wondering what was that very bright star or planet that is in the North-west direction (from south dublin). It was very bright, and I was just wondering if any one could tell me what it was ?

Thanks. Mike
    That would be the Planet Venus my friend.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

Kewl. Thanks very much. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 number 26

is that the one thats in the south west in the evening and then it moves to the north west in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Nope 26, the one in the northwest in the morning is Jupiter, it rises in the northeast in the evening at the moment

NM

thank you novaman. Our daughter has been asking on the school walk to school. I have an answer to tell her :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

And you can also tell her that there are 4 bright moons around it, you can even see them with binoculars if they're steady.

NM

wow! we will have to now look. Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

may need to rest the binos on a stand or a fence post or something to keep them steady No.26

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Orion36

number 26 wrote: »
    wow! we will have to now look. Thank you so much.

Here is the original report of the discovery -

http://archive.org/stream/siderealmessenge80gali#page/44/mode/2up

The reason Venus is so bright is that the faster moving planet is approaching the Earth at our closest orbital point and therefore looks bigger and brighter to us on a slower moving Earth -

http://www.masil-astro-imaging.com/SWI/UV%20montage%20flat.jpg

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar/action?sys=-Si

Galileo more than anyone before or since made most use of a telescope and these observations -

" But the telescope plainly shows us its horns of Venus to be as bounded and distinct as those of the moon, and they are seen to belong to a very
    large circle, in a ratio almost forty times as great as the same disc when it is beyond the sun, toward the end of its morning appearances. " Galileo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I got this with my compact camera, i put it on a cheap camera tripod and set it to go off on a 2 sec timer to stop it shaking, its not great but i was amazed i could see the moons.

DSC02731.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

A real cool app for iphone is available from Celestron here

You can point your phone camera at an object and it will tell you what it is.

wow! that photo is amazing
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

Would I be correct in assuming that the four moons in that photo are Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Carne wrote: »
    Would I be correct in assuming that the four moons in that photo are Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto?

You sure would.

Definitely Neptune.

Advertisement