Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66023981#post66023981

It has zero effect on PayTv Cable & Satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

watty wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66023981#post66023981

It has zero effect on PayTv Cable & Satellite.

You are living in the dark ages. UPC and Sky, companies focused on squirting low quality Anglo Saxon dominance on victims, force their customers (ie victims) to wait for a certain time to watch the programme. The book industry has been around since the 15th century – earlier if you go back to the book of Kells, and the pages of books may be consulted at any time one wishes. Time the TV industry grew up – the customer is king, and should be able to watch whatever they wish, whenever.

There is no alternative to IP TV and fibre, for the average country. Providing a free open market for everyone to make/sell/display video material and make it available to the public at a mouse-click.

UPC is an American company. Sky is a British company – run by a Rupert who is an Australian who pretends to be American. No other European country would allow these creatures take control of their electronic media – ie TV and broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Dont you need broadband to use them??...Sure where in Ireland would you get broadband??
    :rolleyes:

IPTV Not equal Free TV.

Google's TV is just a search engine on the TV. No extra content.

I don't subscribe to pay TV.

Also straight Internet Based TV can never be economical to deliver. Absolutely all broadcast quality IPTV/VOD are pay TV.

Real IPTV needs fibre and a dedicated infrastructure. You pay extra for it and often pay per program. Paying for Broadband only from your ISP will never give more than the BBC player/RTEplayer YouTube rubbish quality. Even that if used by everyone needs a x10 better backhaul than exists in Ireland and no Cap and no FUP.

Google TV is absolutely NOTHING to do with solving the problem of quality of content, cost of content and delivery of content. Other than for Video on Demand there is no point to "real" IPTV. Video on demand other than YouTube rubbish quality and often copyright infringement is very expensive service. Successful Fibre TV is not primarily "IPTV" in the normal sense.

This is just a User interface to search. And give Google more info. Of course Google own YouTube and don't care about anyone else's rights, privacy or copyright.

There are more and more HDTVs with ethernet and web browser. Like Google's equivalent of iPad, "Chrome", Google wants control.

Anyone that thinks Google TV is about "more quality content" and avoiding Pay TV for extra non-free broadcast is deluded. It's about Google levering their search engine to get more personal information and more targeted Adverts. On TVs and Media Streaming systems as well as PCs / netbooks and laptops.

Which is more useful?
    Netbook with whatever Linux or Windows apps you want + browser of Choice
    OR
    Google Chrome Tablet/Netbook (only apps that are in Cloud/Chrome Browser).

TV / Media centre with Web browser (google can be home page), free broadcast TV, option for payTv and option for VOD ppv etc from ISP/fibre supplier and normal channel listings EPG on broadcast (free and Pay).
    OR
    TV / Media centre with Google Search as default interface, Web browser, free broadcast TV, option for payTv and option for VOD ppv etc from ISP/fibre supplier and normal channel listings EPG on broadcast (free and Pay).

Verizon FIOS is REAL VOD and Broadband on fibre (fiber in USA) It costs $89 a month. Almost twice a broadband package.

I get 4 channels via aerial, I buy Cheap priced DVDs to have good quality VOD and have all the available Free to Air Satellite TV (from 4 satellites) on up to 16 receivers from one dish.

Google TV doesn't add one iota of content any Internet enabled TV/Media centre doesn't already have. It adds Google control and monitoring of your viewing.

You can get PVRs with enough storage and tuners to record 25 channels simultaneously for over two weeks.

Summary
    Two issues:
    1) IPTV and VOD. Not the same thing, needs to be provided by your own ISP on Fibre or coax (HFC) otherwise not even 405 line TV quality (though in Colour). YouTube HD is a joke quality wise compared to DVD. Decent free content with quality is only via Aerial/Dish and will remain so. Via Broadband and you will pay extra.
    2) Google TV adds nothing other than a Google controlled GUI and Google monitoring if you have a real HDTV that has Web browser and can view Internet streamed content.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    IPTV Not equal Free TV.

Google's TV is just a search engine on the TV. No extra content.

I don't subscribe to pay TV.

Also straight Internet Based TV can never be economical to deliver. Absolutely all broadcast quality IPTV/VOD are pay TV.

Real IPTV needs fibre and a dedicated infrastructure. You pay extra for it and often pay per program. Paying for Broadband only from your ISP will never give more than the BBC player/RTEplayer YouTube rubbish quality. Even that if used by everyone needs a x10 better backhaul than exists in Ireland and no Cap and no FUP.

Google TV is absolutely NOTHING to do with solving the problem of quality of content, cost of content and delivery of content. Other than for Video on Demand there is no point to "real" IPTV. Video on demand other than YouTube rubbish quality and often copyright infringement is very expensive service. Successful Fibre TV is not primarily "IPTV" in the normal sense.

This is just a User interface to search. And give Google more info. Of course Google own YouTube and don't care about anyone else's rights, privacy or copyright.

There are more and more HDTVs with ethernet and web browser. Like Google's equivalent of iPad, "Chrome", Google wants control.

Anyone that thinks Google TV is about "more quality content" and avoiding Pay TV for extra non-free broadcast is deluded. It's about Google levering their search engine to get more personal information and more targeted Adverts. On TVs and Media Streaming systems as well as PCs / netbooks and laptops.

Which is more useful?
    Netbook with whatever Linux or Windows apps you want + browser of Choice
    OR
    Google Chrome Tablet/Netbook (only apps that are in Cloud/Chrome Browser).

TV / Media centre with Web browser (google can be home page), free broadcast TV, option for payTv and option for VOD ppv etc from ISP/fibre supplier and normal channel listings EPG on broadcast (free and Pay).
    OR
    TV / Media centre with Google Search as default interface, Web browser, free broadcast TV, option for payTv and option for VOD ppv etc from ISP/fibre supplier and normal channel listings EPG on broadcast (free and Pay).

Verizon FIOS is REAL VOD and Broadband on fibre (fiber in USA) It costs $89 a month. Almost twice a broadband package.

I get 4 channels via aerial, I buy Cheap priced DVDs to have good quality VOD and have all the available Free to Air Satellite TV (from 4 satellites) on up to 16 receivers from one dish.

Google TV doesn't add one iota of content any Internet enabled TV/Media centre doesn't already have. It adds Google control and monitoring of your viewing.

You can get PVRs with enough storage and tuners to record 25 channels simultaneously for over two weeks.

Summary
    Two issues:
    1) IPTV and VOD. Not the same thing, needs to be provided by your own ISP on Fibre or coax (HFC) otherwise not even 405 line TV quality (though in Colour). YouTube HD is a joke quality wise compared to DVD. Decent free content with quality is only via Aerial/Dish and will remain so. Via Broadband and you will pay extra.
    2) Google TV adds nothing other than a Google controlled GUI and Google monitoring if you have a real HDTV that has Web browser and can view Internet streamed content.
    IPTV opens your TV set to the global internet, making it free for anyone to broadcast to your TV and for you to select what you wish to watch, and when . The present set-up with Sky and UPC combo is just a con game - designed to make mono-lingual ejits of your kids, virtually unemployable anywhere in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Probe, I love your posts.

You are the personification of the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Probe, I love your posts.

You are the personification of the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Where is the danger in providing people with the option to watch anything they wish, or allowing content producers to deliver their content, in any language to anyone?

The present infrastructure has been "yob-izing" Ireland with rubbish, creating a socially and intellectually under-class country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

probe wrote: »
    IPTV opens your TV set to the global internet, making it free for anyone to broadcast to your TV and for you to select what you wish to watch, and when . The present set-up with Sky and UPC combo is just a con game - designed to make mono-lingual ejits of your kids, virtually unemployable anywhere in Europe.
    What, and IPTV will suddenly provide vast amounts of intellectual and intelligent programming? If anything, it'll provide us with more youtube style, low budget programming. Everyone will want a "tv channel".

And free? Come on, you aren't serious, right? Backhaul, infrastructure and bandwidth costs for the States alone would cost an enormous amount, never mind extending service to Europe too.

Kensington wrote: »
    What, and IPTV will suddenly provide vast amounts of intellectual and intelligent programming? If anything, it'll provide us with more youtube style, low budget programming. Everyone will want a "tv channel".

And free? Come on, you aren't serious, right? Backhaul, infrastructure and bandwidth costs for the States alone would cost an enormous amount, never mind extending service to Europe too.

There is almost nothing on the present cable/SKY satellite that I can see -aside from crap which appears to be totally devoted to the anglo-saxon oil grab terror agenda.

There is no need for IPTV to promote the bulk of youtube.com style material. It exists already. But an IPTV platform will lead to a big bookshop of choice and quality. Perhaps 20 floors of 20,000 m2 size equivalent over time.

You stink of an UPC/Murdoch vested interest to me. Evil in my books. Monopolistic. Probably in breach of European, if not Irish laws, if the issue was examined closely. You are living in the last century.....are you not? Be honest with yourself. Either that, or you are tech-clueless perhaps.....

• Advertisement

You are cross posting the same ill-informed nonsense and Propaganda on CableTV/IPTV forum too.

Do some research Probe instead of insulting people.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66029702#post66029702

Real IPTV can't be delivered on Public Internet. That would make all backhaul x10,000 more expensive. Real IPTV and VOD is only delivered by servers at your own local ISP via their internal network to you.

Streaming video can't really be much better than it is. Calculate the bandwidth on undersea fibre needed if everyone in Ireland watched all their TV via Internet from USA at real TV quality, (not even HD).

BBC & RTE & youTube realtime VOD, even so called HD YouTube isn't even basic cable digital quality.

Also despite Google's tendency to ignore copyright, simply sticking a Google GUI on an Internet enabled HDTV doesn't add one iota of content.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Probe, you are one step away from being banned, some of the tone of your comments are rather provocative and well out of order. Consider yourself warned, if I see another post of this nature you are banned.

I'm not sure this thread belongs in Cable/MMDS/IPTV anyway, but I'm hesitant to move it to Broadcasting since, well it isn't really about broadcasting either...
    probe wrote: »
    UPC is an American company. Sky is a British company – run by a Rupert who is an Australian who pretends to be American. No other European country would allow these creatures take control of their electronic media – ie TV and broadband.

UPC may be owned by an American company (and ultimately by John C Malone), but it is based in Holland and is Europe's biggest cable operator. News Corporation is also active in pay-TV in the UK, Germany, Austria, and Italy. So I think you'd find that Ireland is not the only European country that these companies are active in. Incidently, Rupert Murdoch no longer has any paid position in BSkyB (although his son is Chairman), and News Corporation only has a 38% stake in the company.

But onto Google TV. As far as I can tell, its an operating system/firmware for TVs and set-top-boxes, though I can't see it appearing in the latter form here (given Sky and UPC's attachement to their own platforms). Google doesn't from what I can see actually plan on launching any hardware itself and it would appear to be up to the television manufacturing industry to implement it.

Its main benefit would appear to be giving access to the internet and YouTube via telly. Both are or have been available here before - Independent News and Media's Unison service was a flop and I'd imagine that Apple TV (which offers YouTube access) has not sold well here. Now you might argue that both these products were add on devices and this will be built on to the TV. But how many people actually want to access the TV on the web? Very few if Unison and the no-longer-marketed WebTV is anything to go by. And I don't think YouTube will replace broadcast television - its a different type of experience, good for watch short home-made clips, but not for actual TV programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think this has gone far enough. probe, enough with the anti-UPC posting, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement