Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my F-IN wall

• 23-05-2010 8:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

The plasterboard on a wall in my house has cracked and parts have fallen off leaving a large area not covered by the plaster board..........its on an interior wall but the other side of the wall is exterior and the problem may be due to dampness............anybody have any ideas how i could solve this d.i.y style.........or is there even any builder style person about who can do it cheaply.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Could be movement dampness would not do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Are there any signs of mildew or dampness on the inside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH->DIY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

denballs wrote: »
    The plasterboard on a wall in my house has cracked and parts have fallen off leaving a large area not covered by the plaster board.......

Whats causing the plasterboard to fall off?
    How is the plasterboard slab fixed to to wall?
    Is it fixed to timber battens or is it fixed directly to the wall?

Any chance of a photo?
    Plasterboard slab doesn't usually just crack and fall off a wall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

RKQ wrote: »
    Plasterboard slab doesn't usually just crack and fall off a wall!

That's my thought too.

Pictures please, possibly you're talking about just plaster has fallen off the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would be fairlconfident that its due to movement of some sort. is there cracks on the other side of the wall? how old is the house.

damp would not effect plasterboard like this. it might how ever effect a skimcoat . it effects the bond and can make it come off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

Well there are signs of rot/dampness {a black colour under the paint} further up the wall...........and i live at a junction of 2 main roads so there is always alot of traffic......the house is a couple of hundred years old think.

heres a few pics

this is the full damage to the wall
    dsc00066vi.jpg

this is the thickness of a piece that has fallen off
    dsc00068nv.jpg

heres the back of the piece that fell off
    2poejrl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

either way. You are going to have to reskim that wall .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

gsxr1 wrote: »
    either way. You are going to have to reskim that wall .

hum.....how do i go about that and can i get the stuff i need in woodies or do i need to go to a builders provider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

b&q will have stuff to reskim it. its a lot harder than you think to get a perfect job. i reckon though that the houes is over 10 years old settlement is not the issue. damp is more likely it.

you may want to treat the wall to prevent this occuring agin. when was the last time it was plastered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Just going by your photos, that is plaster rather than plasterboard.

If it is an old house, I would get someone who knows something about old houses to look at it. It may be just that the plaster is old, or it may be damp coming from inside or outside or from below, or something else again. The important thing is to find the cause and deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

After new skim is applied polybond it before you paint it. Its probrably damp so in my view its your cheapest option without drylining again on new battons with damp proof course. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is not a DIY job. it needs a professional plaster or it will be noticed.

it also needs to be established why it came off and this might involve a bigger hole being made.

Advertisement