Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child busker in Galway yesterday

Options
  • 23-05-2010 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

Was in Galway yesterday. Did anyone see the young lad singing outside River Island in the city yesterday? I think he was also there at Christmas time.

Saw members of his family dropping by to collect some of the takings.

Just didn't look right. Just an observation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

any worse than child tv/music stars are done sometimes tbh if anyone has tallent exploit it thinking ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

This the lad of about 6 wearing a suit with a portable mike and amp? saw him a few weeks ago on a Saturday night being towed around through the smoking crowds outside The Dew Drop, Buskers and down through Spanish Arch... this was 9 or 10pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Saw him a while ago, outside easons. the little sh*tbag was using an amp and taking up the whole street. I had to go as far as quay street before his wailing was quiet enough that I could play myself. I have no respect for that little knacker. He can't sing at all and he has no respect for any other musicians on the street.

On a related note, I'm not certain but as far as I know, you need a licence to use amplification on the street...does anyone have any info on it? I'm getting into busking in Galway and Ive gone a few times and it seems kind of unfair for people to be using amps/speakers when playing. now don't get me wrong, there are a few notable performers who are using them well within respectable limits but it only takes one kid like this guy to ruin everyones experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Not sure he has a choice personally, I wouldn't have instigated singing in the street at his age... It's his parents just putting him to work at an early age to supplement their own incomes (I will cast no aspersions on his background;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

aido179 wrote: »
    Saw him a while ago, outside easons. the little sh*tbag was using an amp and taking up the whole street. I had to go as far as quay street before his wailing was quiet enough that I could play myself. I have no respect for that little knacker. He can't sing at all and he has no respect for any other musicians on the street.

On a related note, I'm not certain but as far as I know, you need a licence to use amplification on the street...does anyone have any info on it? I'm getting into busking in Galway and Ive gone a few times and it seems kind of unfair for people to be using amps/speakers when playing. now don't get me wrong, there are a few notable performers who are using them well within respectable limits but it only takes one kid like this guy to ruin everyones experience.

He can be very loud, but then again it's the summer and it's just going to get louder.
    On the point about the amps. I hear you. I know friends who busk say they nearly *had* to get them, as (particularly in summer) a lot of buskers who just do it for the weekend or whatever, would land in, no respect for other performers, and set up with their amps five feet away. If you're a lad/girl with a guitar, you can't usually compete with an amp or six drums right next to you. One friend said if they did ban amps he would be just as happy (he uses one himself).
    There is no law banning the amplification, you don't need a license for a battery amp, and most of the regular buskers are respectful and keep it as low as they need, but in the summer it gets cutthroat. Sometimes the *worst* are those show/magicians who don't give a fcuk about noise or other performers, or indeed the businesses that they block.

In terms of the little fella giving his earnings or some of them to his folks, I don't have as huge a problem as some with it, as long as *he* enjoys it and gets something out of it himself. Years ago, particularly if a family wasn't as well off, everyones earnings were all chipped in. My friends daughter has started busking recently, Dad often comes by and takes her money to keep her safer, and hangs out for a coffee nearby. Sometimes she's even borrowed a few quid on the strength of the days earnings. She's a teenager, and it makes her feel great to earn her few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 girlfromwest

That child has been busking across from Easons for about 3 years, sometimes by himself but mostly he has two teenage girls playing the guitar and singing with him. What I mostly worry about when I see him is that it appears he hasn't grown an inch in height since I first noticed him years ago!

Also, most annoying busker has to go to the ginger haired crooner who plays in that same spot outside River Island every day.. she murders many a Tom Waits song, and also does an even more annoying version of "Don't Stop Believing" than the Glee lot! I work on Shop St., and she really effin annoys me!

That child has been busking across from Easons for about 3 years, sometimes by himself but mostly he has two teenage girls playing the guitar and singing with him. What I mostly worry about when I see him is that it appears he hasn't grown an inch in height since I first noticed him years ago!

Also, most annoying busker has to go to the ginger haired crooner who plays in that same spot outside River Island every day.. she murders many a Tom Waits song, and also does an even more annoying version of "Don't Stop Believing" than the Glee lot! I work on Shop St., and she really effin annoys me!

Maybe that little lad has a series of brothers, all a year apart, lol!:D

Have to disagree with you about the woman that sings, I think she's one of the best buskers. She does her own stuff at her gigs that I've been at and they are great songs. Like many of the musicians who write their own stuff , sometimes covers yield more coins for busking, at least according to the lads I know.

In terms of being annoyed by certain buskers, that's a funny one. there are really only about 8 'pitches' where people play. The buskers rotate on them. My old flat was smack in the middle of town, right over one of those spots. There was a guitarist who busked in the evening, every evening for about 4 or 5 hours. He was actually a really good musician but he drove me *cracked*. I would hear any bum note and every inflection he did. It's different if you work or live in a place every day than if you walk by or stay for a few songs. I find a lot of the nighttime buskers way chancier tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Is this the wee guy in the top hat wailing away 'Danny Boy' and other such pish for the tourists? He can't sing for toffee but they obviously make money from the 'awww' and 'oirish' factors from the visitors. There's usually a couple of gypsy-looking women lurking in a doorway nearby watching the takings :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Was in Galway yesterday. Did anyone see the young lad singing outside River Island in the city yesterday? I think he was also there at Christmas time.

Saw members of his family dropping by to collect some of the takings.

Just didn't look right. Just an observation.

he can not have too much money at any one time.was he a gypo?
    I remember the Sinti wan a few years back who had a tin whistle and could not play o svae her life.
    there used to be a spannish guy who could only play two songs, La bamba was one of them, but as his english improved so did his repetoire.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Given a choice between kid-in-suit and the drummers who virtually live in Shop St in summer, I'd take the kid any day.

I don't really approve of the way he's been "adult-ized" in a suit. But really it's no different from the Traveller community folks who pierce the ears of girl children who can barely walk - or indeed from the members of all ethnic groups who dress pre-pubescent girl-children in sexualised clothing. I disapprove, but obviously some other people don't.

As to the family taking the proceeds away: I'd certainly hope so! The child is far too young to be managing amounts of money, or to be alone in the street with a lot of cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

If I'm in town, I usually try to keep a few euro loose change in my pockets specifically to give to buskers. i love buskers! But on principle, I don't give anything to anyone who uses an amp. I think it's just plain unfair on the other buskers, the businesses, and the shoppers! Way too loud, takes up 3 - 4 good busking pitches, and totally not in the spirit of busking.
    Boycott the amps!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

JustMary wrote: »
    But really it's no different from the Traveller community folks who pierce the ears of girl children who can barely walk .

Cultural clash here. In Argentina, people of any social level do that to their baby girls, even the nurses offer this service in the maternity wards...Sounds strange but it's a very common practice.
    I remember my father opposed to this about my sister and then some relative secretely did it! :rolleyes:

This is not about busking itself, but I noticed on Saturday a woman on a wheel chair asking for money in Tesco's car park. I wonder if she really needs to do that and what one should do besides ginving her some change.If she is in a risk situation whou should you call?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did anyone hear the band down at the Townhouse? They were there between around 2/3 and 5. They were awesome!
    Townhouse probably made a mint off em.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have no respect for that little knacker
    If I see this language again I will ban you.

On topic, I've seen him and his sisters many a time when I live in the centre. He used to do a little dance routing too, cute but I still didn't give any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

you cant beat the lad with the spoons for street entertainment

or does anybody know the lad down high street that comes out for race week and he has a paper guitar and just goes "bling bling bling bling"

legend

as for the your fella, I can see the point re family expoliting him and i'd say in the height of the tourist season he prob makes the most of any on shop street in taking

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Did anyone hear the band down at the Townhouse? They were there between around 2/3 and 5. They were awesome!
    Townhouse probably made a mint off em.

Very good. I thought myself that townhouse had put them there, were they collecting money?

EI111 wrote: »
    Very good. I thought myself that townhouse had put them there, were they collecting money?
    Yup. Had a sign saying "give generously, rent is due", and people did. At one stage a girl went around with one of the lads hats and collected change off people. There were a few notes in it too, a few 20s at that!

Not sure if it was the townhouse that put em there, but they certainly didnt mind! Gave them great business so it did.

biko wrote: »
    If I see this language again I will ban you.
    I can hardly argue...I suppose I did get a little ahead of myself. Appologies to anyone offended.

Its great to see so many people in support of the buskers in Galway.

I didn't see the band but I wish I had. On the topic of handing about a hat, I was playing on Quay street last week and recieved a round of applause from patrons of a bar/restaurant but I didn't think it would be fair to hand around a hat...would that be acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

I've seen that little fella around the last two summers, usually just during race week. He wouldn't be the greatest of singers but he was cleaning up on the 'cute' factor. He used to sing with two older girls at the start but he got easily bored and distracted because he was so young. It was funny.
    I don't think they kept him out singing too long and they were good to him.
    They could be teaching him worse things.
    One of the older girls has a fine fine old style singing voice of ballads and country songs and a good repertoire. It reminded me that some of the older travelling people had the gift of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

shaggykev wrote: »
    or does anybody know the lad down high street that comes out for race week and he has a paper guitar and just goes "bling bling bling bling"

No, he doesn't go "bling bling"
    He goes "plink plink plink plink"
    You wouldn't want to go misrepresenting him:).

I was hoping to organize cardboard coins for people to give him
    but I never got around to it.

Cardboard coins for a cardboard performance!

• Advertisement

. On the topic of handing about a hat, I was playing on Quay street last week and recieved a round of applause from patrons of a bar/restaurant but I didn't think it would be fair to hand around a hat...would that be acceptable?

Good for you :). A lot of the buskers get whoops for a good set on Quay St, it's a fun place to play. I don't see a problem with handing round a hat if a crowd has gathered around you on the street, but I don't think it's the best idea to pass it round a captive audience like the people sitting at a restaurant. They can tip you as they leave. The Townhouse might be the exception as it has more space and is taking up a lot of the street with tables. Dunno how the proprietors would react tho.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I don't see a problem with handing round a hat if a crowd has gathered around you on the street, but I don't think it's the best idea to pass it round a captive audience like the people sitting at a restaurant. They can tip you as they leave.
    noted :) i may very well try play outside the townhouse...:rolleyes:

inisboffin wrote: »
    The Townhouse might be the exception as it has more space and is taking up a lot of the street with tables. Dunno how the proprietors would react tho.

Could be wrong here, but the girl who was going around with the hat looked like she was in her pub working clothes, could easily of been Townhouse bar staff, and IMO was.
    Id go to the townhouse more often if those lads were there.

Good for them. I did see a band busk there a week or two ago and they were just busking, not hired by TH. Usually venues won't have their staff 'bottle' (collect money) for a band they have. It has to do with liability etc, so they just pay them. But maybe they were in this case, dunno?

No, he doesn't go "bling bling"
    He goes "plink plink plink plink"
    You wouldn't want to go misrepresenting him:).

I thought there were some plonks in there too, as in "plink, plink plonk ..."

Last year I was involved in a bit of the Macnas parade. The group was rehearsing in the Fisheries Field workshop one day, and in a break he came up in conversation. Five minutes later we'd started work again - and he walked in the door! Apparently he needed to do some work on his guitar.

I'm told he has a (brother? someone) who's involved in Macnas, and that he comes to Galway for the arts festival every year.

Fair play sez me: if others can make money by painting themselves blue/grey/whatever and just standing still, he deserves it more for making noise.

lucianot wrote: »
    This is not about busking itself, but I noticed on Saturday a woman on a wheel chair asking for money in Tesco's car park. I wonder if she really needs to do that and what one should do besides ginving her some change.If she is in a risk situation whou should you call?

"Needs" is an interesting word. If she's in Ireland legally, then she does not have to beg in order to get money to live - the welfare system will provide a minimum standard. If she's illegal, then she may have to. But depending on her culture/education/background, there may be an expectation from her community that begging is what everyone does for a living - it's just a day in the "office".

I always advise NEVER giving money to anyone who asks in the street. Offer to buy food or bus-tickets, but always hand the cash over to the shop/ticket-office yourself. ('Tis amazing how many people suddenly don't need the money any more when you offer this) If you've got spare cash, there are plenty of legitimate charities around.

If someone is in an immediate risk situation, you call the garda: 112 from your mobile.

If a woman is being abused, you point her towards Women's Aid (http://www.womensaid.ie/) - but she's the one who has to do the calling etc.

JustMary wrote: »
    I thought there were some plonks in there too, as in "plink, plink plonk ..."

Last year I was involved in a bit of the Macnas parade. The group was rehearsing in the Fisheries Field workshop one day, and in a break he came up in conversation. Five minutes later we'd started work again - and he walked in the door! Apparently he needed to do some work on his guitar.

I'm told he has a (brother? someone) who's involved in Macnas, and that he comes to Galway for the arts festival every year.

Fair play sez me: if others can make money by painting themselves blue/grey/whatever and just standing still, he deserves it more for making noise.

He does indeed have a bro involved with Macnas. I believe the story was that he did it (the cardboard guitar) for a lark/bet one year while visiting during the fest, and he had a ball/such a success that he made it into a yearly visit! He looked like he was having fun in the parade last year too!:)

Advertisement