Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full suspension or hardtail mtb

• 23-05-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am looking for a mtb for 50/50 roads and trails.

Whilst cycling along the Royal Canal towpath from Dubin heading west, the bike I was riding was quite rough. It had front suspension only.

I think a full suspension bike would be smoother in this situation, but am I losing anything on the road with a full suspension bike?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am looking for a mtb for 50/50 roads and trails.

Whilst cycling along the Royal Canal towpath from Dubin heading west, the bike I was riding was quite rough. It had front suspension only.

I think a full suspension bike would be smoother in this situation, but am I losing anything on the road with a full suspension bike?

Thanks in advance.

A hardtail would be much more suitable for the riding you're describing. A full-sus will be heavier, (probably) less efficient to pedal and more difficult to maintain.

If you're looking for a bit more comfort I'd recommend a steel frame, decent fork and high-volume tyres (best run tubeless).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thanks for the response!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm about to buy a bike to get back into mtb after a long time out. Some of my mates still do it and they all begged me not to get a hardtail. Most of them got hardtails at first and ended up selling them after a few months to get a full suspension. I'm not into the hardcore x-country stuff just fun trails and some downhill really. I talked to loads of people about it including guys in several bike shops I went to and they all agreed full sus is the way to go.

These days the technoloy is so much better than it used to be. 5 years ago climbing on a full sys would kill you, the bounce took so much of the energy. Nowadays the bikes are so much better - you have full lock-out on many suspension setups, and some you don't even need it. I'm going for a Giant Trance X3 and these are regarded as excellent all rounders. For me at least the benefits of full suspension will far outweigh the negatives of it being slightly heavier and maybe a tiny bit more difficult uphill.

Depends on your budget really, prob less point in getting a budget end full sus though. What is your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Isn't roads/trails a bit different to trails/downhill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

dunno if this is a good deal or not but B&Q got mt bikes (no suspension) in on saturday night and were put out on display there yesterday.

Both for male and female. €100 each.

seem alright to me but i'll let you guys judge :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

bso!!! bike shaped object. no dont go there

Advertisement