Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first DIY success !!!

• 23-05-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭

apart from topping up oil and changing a flat wheel I had never gone near the mechanics of any car I have owned, until recently!

I have a bit of a project car, a e36 323 coupe, generally in good condition and was driving well, until it started overheating. Out of the blue, needle hit the red, fortunately I was just about home and parked it up.

The thoughts of having to plough money in to it to get it towed, looked at, parts etc .. especially considering I hadn't a clue what was wrong or needed to be done. In essence (with a bit of persuasion from my wife - who can't understand why I need two cars!!) I decided I was going to try and sort this out myself.

Que, google ..... eventually I decided it had to either a thermostat or a waterpump. I popped in to my local motor factors picked up both for about 80 quid. Enlisted the help of my auld boy (has is own workshop for vintage motors).

Armed with a Bentley BMW workshop manual, a box of tools from the auld fella I went at it last week.

Removing the fan, belts, thermostat housing, water pump. Managed to change the lot in a day ..... plenty of mistakes and searching had to be done.

Topped up with coolant and alas the thing was still overheating. Left it for a week, pondered what to do and then after further reading realised that the 6-pot engine actually had to be bleed properly and more than likely was air locked.

Went at it again yesterday, drained the block & rad, topped up very slowly and eventually all the air worked it's way out.

Took it out for a 10 mile spin this morning and the needle is dead centre and the six pots are humming like a dream !!!

What is it about oil, dirt, tools and dirty rags that makes spending a day working so much fun? Still the wife can't understand ... but the satisfaction from driving my own work is savage !!!

... can't wait for the next job that has to be done !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

well done would reconmend an oil change for your next diy job ,because got over hot as well when she hit the red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Well done!

A lot of the bm's have bleed screws, very easy to miss them:( Did you have any trouble removing the old water pump from the engine block?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

oil change due in the next week or two I reckon, at least I will be able to do it in my auld boy's place, tools at hand and proper axel stands etc...

Originally I missed the bleed screw on the block, even after finding pics online I found it near impossible to locate !!!

The water pump was actually quite easy, mind you I found some great 'how to' guides online otherwise I would never have guessed having to insert bolts into the 'empty' threads to ease the pump out.

I have realised that there isn't anything mysterious beneath the bonnet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

Its a great feeling when the job goes right,and you cant beat the feeling of satisfaction when you fix the problem.Keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

no better feeling than that.... fair play..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I can relate. I fixed my reverse light switch all on my tod the other day, then she went in for NCT and passed with flying colours.

Effing great feeling!!

*hi5*

Advertisement