Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the German or Austrian army ?

• 23-05-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I see there is a thread on joining the French Foreign Legion ( reckon I would not be up to it myself ) but since the Irish army are not recruiting, I wonder does anyone know about joining some other army on the continent and their experiences ? I have done German for the Leaving and have a Higher Cert in Electronics form Tallaght IT. Naturally I would have to improve my German but this could be done for say, working in a civie job for 6 / 12 months to meet the statndard needed to join their armed forces. Being in the EU I would imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to join the Austrian or German army and with my electronics background I was hoping to get invovled in possibly a signals corps. So anyone know anything about joining a continental army ?

And BTW, I'm not interested in joining the British army, it's just my own nationalist views.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Do you have a German parent? Otherwise you can't because EU countries have a treaty in place that won't allow them to recruit from other members states so you'd need citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mcmickey

piby wrote: »
    Do you have a German parent? Otherwise you can't because EU countries have a treaty in place that won't allow them to recruit from other members states so you'd need citizenship.
    Well thanks. So that knocks that on the head. Dumb rule, all a man wants to do is voluntarily serve in the army of a fellow EU state, it's not like he's been conscripted or something if he's living in that state. Have to wait until our own army are recruiting it seems :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

If outside the eu doesnt bother you, you could go for the aussies, they have a way round not having citizenship, you basically sign on for 3yrs(thats what it was when i looked into it) and then apply for citizenship whilst still enlisted. If you go to their recruitment site, it takes a bit of looking, you can talk live to a recruiter and they can talk you through it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 pixel 41

I'm not interested in joining the British army, it's just my own nationalist views.

But want to join the Germany's :rolleyes: two world wars six million Jews amazing.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

pixel 41 wrote: »
    But want to join the Germany's :rolleyes: two world wars six million Jews amazing.......

And for the exact same reason, it's not an issue. It's historical, and these things need to just be left in the past.

• Advertisement

Well, Germany never occupied any part of Ireland, nor did it imply it would invade it in WW2 unlike somewhere else too close to us. And as for concentration camps, well Britain gets the prize for inventing them - the Boer war.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

mcmickey wrote: »
    Well, Germany never occupied any part of Ireland, nor did it imply it would invade it in WW2 unlike somewhere else too close to us. And as for concentration camps, well Britain gets the prize for inventing them - the Boer war.

really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

jesus when are people going to get passed all this bull its been 88 years grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

newby.204 wrote: »
    If outside the eu doesnt bother you, you could go for the aussies, they have a way round not having citizenship, you basically sign on for 3yrs(thats what it was when i looked into it) and then apply for citizenship whilst still enlisted. If you go to their recruitment site, it takes a bit of looking, you can talk live to a recruiter and they can talk you through it!!

yeah if you have the right to live and work in Oz permanently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Just wondering op, what makes you think the German or Austrian armies are going to be any less difficult to serve in than the FFL?

There seems to be some sort of myth surfacing over the past while that joining a foreign military is almost a case of turning up at the embassy saying here i am, where do i sign/take the oath?

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote: »
    yeah if you have the right to live and work in Oz permanently

i was explaining that they have ways around that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I think there might be similar rules for joining the US army - you can apply for citizenship after a number of years. Might have to work alongside those dastardly Brits (including many Irish) mind.

Not sure leaving cert standard, 'Ich Komme aus Irland' would have been enough anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

smcgiff wrote: »
    I think there might be similar rules for joining the US army - you can apply for citizenship after a number of years. Might have to work alongside those dastardly Brits (including many Irish) mind.

Not sure leaving cert standard, 'Ich Komme aus Irland' would have been enough anyway ;)

US military rules are as follows - Green Card ( at a minimum ) to enlist and full citizenship required for a commission. The military will NOT sponsor you for immigration purposes - you must get the Green Card under your own steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Do you not have to have a certain trade that they are looking for though? and afaik they are reluctant to take people who don't already have military experience.

Having a trade is an advantage and as far as mil experience goes you need to be sergeant rank or higher to transfer over, but they do take you directly in, you are then a permananet rezsident, but its on a military base, and afetr three years(afair) then you get citizenship!! Its not ideal but its better than workin in oubs or so for 3 years waitin on citizenship then enlisting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

If you are not currently serving in a military you must apply like everyone else. You must be either an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of the country (ie, hold a visa allowing you to live and work permanantly in Australia) in order to join the ADF. If you hold such a visa you may be granted a waiver on the citizenship requirement but must apply for, and be granted, Australian citizenship after serving a minimum of 3 months full-time or 6 months part-time. If you fail to apply, or are unsuccessful in your application, you will be discharged.

gatecrash wrote: »
    Just wondering op, what makes you think the German or Austrian armies are going to be any less difficult to serve in than the FFL?

There seems to be some sort of myth surfacing over the past while that joining a foreign military is almost a case of turning up at the embassy saying here i am, where do i sign/take the oath?
    Well I don't think I'd be up to the Legion, they are among, if not the toughest regiment in the world, I certainly don't think I'd have it to make it through to be honest.

Hi dope, you should have read the OP " I have done German for the Leaving and have a Higher Cert in Electronics form Tallaght IT. Naturally I would have to improve my German but this could be done for say, working in a civie job for 6 / 12 months to meet the statndard needed to join their armed forces." ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Is there not an exception for UK armed forces ? I thought that all 3 branches of the UK armed forces took Irish citizenship as meeting the relevant citizenship requirements.

With the OP's specific technical background should there not be a shedload of possibilities for a good career in any of the 3 branches with good additional training and career prospects ?

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Is there not an exception for UK armed forces ? I thought that all 3 branches of the UK armed forces took Irish citizenship as meeting the relevant citizenship requirements.

With the OP's specific technical background should there not be a shedload of possibilities for a good career in any of the 3 branches with good additional training and career prospects ?

No you're right the UK are different in that regard. They allow people form the Republic in nearly all trades in the BA, RAF and RN, including officers although certain positions (thoses on nuclear subs/intelligence etc.) do require citizenship and residency requirements.

The only reason I didn't mention it was that the OP said he was against joining the Brits out of his own political views!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

They have ways around the citizenship requirement. They possibly may also take in serving soldiers from the UK etc with experience they require like a transfer arrangement.

However they do not recruit people from different world countries into the aussie army that are just newbies.

What do you believe the way around it is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

. . . you can't because EU countries have a treaty in place that won't allow them to recruit from other members states so you'd need citizenship.

Evidently the Irish Naval Service is unaware of this treaty:

The first two foreign national recruits to the Naval Service -- one Portuguese and the other Polish -- will make history when they graduate next week.

Grzegorz Ciszek (24), from Poland, and Fabio Conceicao (18), from Portugal, will officially pass out with their fellow Irish recruits on February 7 next, at the Irish Naval Service base at Haulbowline, Co Cork.

Irish Independent, 30/01/2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

gizmo555 wrote: »

The first two foreign national recruits to the Naval Service -- one Portuguese and the other Polish -- will make history when they graduate next week.

Grzegorz Ciszek (24), from Poland, and Fabio Conceicao (18), from Portugal, will officially pass out with their fellow Irish recruits on February 7 next, at the Irish Naval Service base at Haulbowline, Co Cork.

MAybe the treaty prevents a branch of armed forces from ACTIVELY recruiting, but if you want to join a foreign military through your own choice, off with ya...

What piby wrote was that there is a treaty stopping citizens of EU countries joining the armed forces of other EU states unless they have citizenship of the other country too. He is mistaken.

gizmo555 wrote: »

Yeah but they'd been living here a for a few years already had they not? Perhaps I am mistaken but my understanding was that you'd need citizenship if you wanted to join straight away i.e. go over and start training more or less immediately as the OP was suggesting. Ok he said he might take 12 months or so to improve his German but you undertand the point. Maybe if, as the Independent articles seems to suggest, you spent a number of years fulfilling residency requirements then it would be possible.

Either way OP your best bet is to contact the German embassy. They could give you the the definitive answer!

Yeah but they'd been living here a for a few years already had they not?

They had, but that doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't have joined up if they hadn't.
    Maybe if, as the Independent articles seems to suggest, you spent a number of years fulfilling residency requirements then it would be possible.

I can't see any such suggestion in the article and, in general, freedom of movement for work purposes is a fundamental right of all EU citizens. So far as the Irish military is concerned, there is no mention of any citizenship or residency requirement in their General Service Information Booklet.
    Either way OP your best bet is to contact the German embassy. They could give you the the definitive answer!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

"The Brits are the brains behind the US army." as quoted by many Taliban leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 angry_bob

Well I don't think I'd be up to the Legion, they are among, if not the toughest regiment in the world, I certainly don't think I'd have it to make it through to be honest.
    ;)

One of the biggest myths out there, and is perpetuated by the ignorant macho classes.
    I've worked with them on active duty, and on various exercises, and they are certainly no better than the avearge British squaddie.
    They do have a very strict disciplinary code tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 supersportq

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    "The Brits are the brains behind the US army." as quoted by many Taliban leaders.
    Somehow I'm very, very skeptical about that, have you a link or is it once again British BS about their greatness ? And how long do you think Britain would last out over there without the Americans ?

angry_bob wrote: »
    One of the biggest myths out there, and is perpetuated by the ignorant macho classes.
    I've worked with them on active duty, and on various exercises, and they are certainly no better than the avearge British squaddie.
    They do have a very strict disciplinary code tho.
    Really :eek:. An FF Legionnaire, or for that matter a US Marine or Spetsnaz soldier, been up to the level of the average British squaddie. Is it possible ? ....................:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

There is another way into the IDF you can join the Naval Service & then get a transfer at a later date. I know people who have done this but there is no guarantee of getting the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I see there is a thread on joining the French Foreign Legion ( reckon I would not be up to it myself ) but since the Irish army are not recruiting, I wonder does anyone know about joining some other army on the continent and their experiences ? I have done German for the Leaving and have a Higher Cert in Electronics form Tallaght IT. Naturally I would have to improve my German but this could be done for say, working in a civie job for 6 / 12 months to meet the statndard needed to join their armed forces. Being in the EU I would imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to join the Austrian or German army and with my electronics background I was hoping to get invovled in possibly a signals corps. So anyone know anything about joining a continental army ?

And BTW, I'm not interested in joining the British army, it's just my own nationalist views.

you need to a citizen. they are soemwhat more narrow minded than we are in this reagrd. it was not a problem in the 18th century but we no longer have these times. marry a native?

waht about the Sapnnish legion. does that recruit foreigners?

the americans will take anyone who has a green card. action guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

better than the brits 800 years , famines, massacres, a 'conflict' every decade

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

Fuinseog wrote: »
    waht about the Sapnnish legion. does that recruit foreigners?

The Spanish stoped recuiting foreigners for their foreign legion years ago. Yes, it ceased to be foreign and became the legion.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    better than the brits 800 years , famines, massacres, a 'conflict' every decade

Please let's not start this again :cool:

At the end of day both the British and German armies have done thing in the past that aren't exactly exemplary but give me a country or army that hasn't at some point in history? At present both are serving in Afghanistan under NATO and both are highly professional. I wouldn't necessarily base any decision to join on the historical angle!

Really :eek:. An FF Legionnaire, or for that matter a US Marine or Spetsnaz soldier, been up to the level of the average British squaddie. Is it possible ? ....................:rolleyes:

Again, I've worked on operations, and trained with the US Marines, they are nothing special. Spetsnaz are SF, please tell me you are not comparing the legion to SF, LOL.

• Advertisement

angry_bob wrote: »
    Again, I've worked on operations, and trained with the US Marines, they are nothing special. Spetsnaz are SF, please tell me you are not comparing the legion to SF, LOL.
    Just post in the Walter Mitty forum please :rolleyes:

pertinax wrote: »
    The Spanish stoped recuiting foreigners for their foreign legion years ago. Yes, it ceased to be foreign and became the legion.
    Interesting, so the regiment is still in existance - without foreigners of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Avgas

What about joining the Canadian military....could an Irish guy or girl do that..... prob have to have Canadian citizenship. But they have a pretty good/professional defence forces.

Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Nope , Canadian citizenship is a pre-requisite.

Just post in the Walter Mitty forum please :rolleyes:

LOL.
    22 years in the Royal Marines mate, when you can match that I'll take your advice.

Just love it when a sad little no life tries to insult me.
    LMFAO at you ..... ROFL

• Advertisement
Advertisement