Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blasted dog poo nazis.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ngoyvaerts wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you more! Sure have you ever seen a someone riding a horse or a garda get of there horse and clean up the poo it leaves behind? I'm sure one of those many of pounds of poo has a alot more parasites than a doggies, not that they'll kill ya unless you start playing with it. =/ Like you find it in the middle of a road, beach, path, field. Manky aye?

But if a dog does poo in the bog arse of no where or in a bush, why bother? It's healthy for the environment! Sure where does our poo go? Or used to go. >< Don't wanna even think about that one! Paths and places people would be though, then it's understandable.

When we were children, we would be sent to pick up any horse droppings as manure for the garden.

It is carnvivore poo that has parasites and cannot be used on gardens etc. Grazing animals are a different matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

morganafay wrote: »
    I've only seen dog poo bins is in Cobh, they have loads. I might steal some and stick them up around here :D

Cobh does seem to be quite a shining example... I moved here several months ago from Mallow, and before that having lived in Dublin.
    Cobh has to be one of the cleanest places, and the number of bins provided is just great.

Having said that, I notice here as I have in Mallow that "taking the dog for a walk" for many people just means opening their front door, and then letting the dog back inside after an hour or so... the amount of dogs running around with no leash and no human is utterly ureal. So of course, in those cases nothing gets picked up at all, I've had to repeatedly shoo the feckers off my lawn and even out of my vegetable patch at the back of the house!
    Not an easy task for a person who's has a certain phobia of dogs, after having been attacked by one as a child, I can tell you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ngoyvaerts wrote: »
    Sure have you ever seen a someone riding a horse or a garda get of there horse and clean up the poo it leaves behind? I'm sure one of those many of pounds of poo has a alot more parasites than a doggies.

"In the mid-1990s, scientists perfected methods for tracking the origin of nasty bacteria in streams and seawater. From Clearwater, Fla., to Arlington, Va., to Boise the trail has led straight to the hunched-up dog — and to owners who don't pick up after their pets."

"All dogs harbor so-called coliform bacteria, which live in the gut. The group includes E. coli, a bacterium that can cause disease, and fecal coliform bacteria, which spread through feces. Dogs also carry salmonella and giardia.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2002-06-07-dog-usat.htm

In addition to this 50% of the dry mass of dog faeces is made up purely of bacteria from the gut.

Horse faeces is mostly pure fiber and will disintigrate with the first shower of rain. Horses do carry a certain amout of worms but all responsible horse owners will be carrying out responsible pasture management programs to keep the worm count minimal. Dogs carry all the same parasites am I'm sure you aware but worms are not the main problem with dog poo.

How sure are you now about your expert knowledge of the difference in parasites between dog and horse faeces?

I live in the absolute middle of nowhere. If I'm walking my dogs I pick it up, if I'm riding out, no I don't get off and pick it up as it clearly isn't feasable. When I get home I get in the car with a bucket and go back for it! The only reason I do so is that neighbours can't use it as an excuse for not picking up their dog dirt. I can assure you that trying to remove all traces of some dirty ******s dogs poo from your horse's hoof isn't plesant :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

And farmers let their cows poo on the road! Of course that'd be much harder to clean up :) . . . but still not pleasant when you're walking and trying to dodge cow poo, or when it's outside your house and you can smell it for a few days after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I live in kilkenny and in the only park(castle park) I constantly have to avoid dog poop. I am the only one I see with bags.
    But my main problem with dog poo is I live in a housing estate and my dog isn't allowed out the front. Therefore her poo is confined to my back garden. Unfortuanlty a family a few doors up from me leave their dog out all day and he's toilet is my front garden. Its foul and I don't really know what to do about it. I have caught him in the act and given him a swift kick(didn't connect) but I cannot patrol the place 24/7.

• Advertisement

And farmers let their cows poo on the road! Of course that'd be much harder to clean up :) . . . but still not pleasant when you're walking and trying to dodge cow poo, or when it's outside your house and you can smell it for a few days after.

Funny.. Have you ever tried to stop a cow doing what a cow has to do!!! Or trying to pick up after it!!!!!:D

With the amount of rain Ireland gets it is soon washed away anyways.

And it is great stuff for the garden...

We can get too squeamish etc can't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Just to quote out of that same article from USA today:
    Dogs are only one of many fixtures of suburban America that add to water pollution. Lawn fertilizers, rinse water from driveways and motor oil commonly end up in streams and lakes.

Not that I am against your argument, just against cherry picking.

Of course dog droppings are just a drop in the bucket when it comes to pollution. But in principle you should just pick up after your dog. It's your mess, your responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have no issue at all with cleaning up after my dogs, as a responsible dog owner I feel it is totally the correct thing to do.

I have noticed recently though glares from people when my dogs wee as we go for a walk!! How on earth am I supposed to stop them doing that or clear up after them?:rolleyes:

Graces7 wrote: »
    Funny.. Have you ever tried to stop a cow doing what a cow has to do!!! Or trying to pick up after it!!!!!:D

With the amount of rain Ireland gets it is soon washed away anyways.

And it is great stuff for the garden...

We can get too squeamish etc can't we?

I was joking :D But it is different in the country than in towns, there's gonna be poo in the country, not much anyone can do about it :)

I have noticed recently though glares from people when my dogs wee as we go for a walk!! How on earth am I supposed to stop them doing that or clear up after them?:rolleyes:

If the dog is sitting down weeing then they might thinking it's pooing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just to quote out of that same article from USA today:

Not that I am against your argument, just against cherry picking.

Of course dog droppings are just a drop in the bucket when it comes to pollution. But in principle you should just pick up after your dog. It's your mess, your responsibility.

I was using that article as a source for what dog poo consists of in answer to the people who seemed to be unaware of any difference between dog faeces and that of horses/livestock. I'm not sure what you mean by cherry picking? This thread is about dog poo, not motor oil or lawn fertilizer or any other type of polution or polution at all for the most part. It's about lazy buggers not picking up their own mess and using excuses like:- it doesn't do any harm/is no different from horse poo/ why should I? When really what they mean is I'm too lazy, I don't care what it does to anyone else and I can't be bothered :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

No matter where I am I always pick up after my dog, doesn't matter whether it's on the streets or in the back arse of nowhere.

The way I see it is if you don't like stepping in dog poo, coming home and dragging it all over your house to stink for days in the carpets, then pick it up, otherwise your leaving it there for someone else to stand in (or yourself if you walk the same route and forget where your dog crapped). If you enjoy stepping in dog poo for it to stink your shoes and house to the high heavens well then your part of a small minority of people who are very weird. :eek:

Unfortunately both my mother and my aunt are one of these people who seem to think that dog poo is natural and will break down after a number of days, and I quote my mother ''I don't see coillte out picking up after their deer in the woods'', and this is a wood that is a very popular walking spot for dog owners, dogless people, children, joggers, cyclists and people with buggies. I can't seem to get through to these type of people, even my own mother who thinks its ok to leave dog poo on the beach once its been covered up with a bit of sand. :mad:
    What they need is to be hit in the pocket with a fine, but I can't see that happening any day soon. :rolleyes:

When we were children, we would be sent to pick up any horse droppings as manure for the garden.

It is carnvivore poo that has parasites and cannot be used on gardens etc. Grazing animals are a different matter altogether.

Can't cows have worms and stuff too? I know they probably get wormed, but so do my dogs.

I know that carnivore poo is more dangerous though . . .

Shenshen wrote: »
    Having said that, I notice here as I have in Mallow that "taking the dog for a walk" for many people just means opening their front door, and then letting the dog back inside after an hour or so... the amount of dogs running around with no leash and no human is utterly ureal. So of course, in those cases nothing gets picked up at all, I've had to repeatedly shoo the feckers off my lawn and even out of my vegetable patch at the back of the house!
    Not an easy task for a person who's has a certain phobia of dogs, after having been attacked by one as a child, I can tell you that!

I live in a town near Mallow, and it's the same. People just let their dogs wander around town, poo everywhere. Nobody picks up their dog's poo. Well some people might, but I've never seen it happening.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't (in the countryside, no in the town) because you can't walk anywhere here without there being poo. If I was walking in the town though then I would (I have dog poo bags in case I do feel like going to the park with the dogs). They did put up signs recently saying people will be fined, but doesn't seem like they're enforcing it.

I know there is a tiny tiny chance that a kid will go near my dogs' poo in the middle of nowhere, but if a kid is walking on those roads unsupervised then they have worse dangers . . . and if a person is walking where my dogs poo then they'd already have very dirty shoes. And it's such a tiny chance they'd step on it, because why would they be walking there (off the road) . . . they're much more likely to step on dog poo in the town where it's everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I can't seem to get through to these type of people, even my own mother who thinks its ok to leave dog poo on the beach once its been covered up with a bit of sand. :mad:
    What they need is to be hit in the pocket with a fine, but I can't see that happening any day soon. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I have lost count of the number of times I stepped in poo on the beach, that just had sand kicked over it.

I bring bags with me everywhere, and had an argument with someone at the beach one day after their dog took a dump in the middle of the path onto the beach, I offered them a bag and they said No 'cos there was no bins???
    Bring it home with you like I do!

Can't cows have worms and stuff too? I know they probably get wormed, but so do my dogs.

I know that carnivore poo is more dangerous though . . .

Cows don't eat meat.

It is carnivores that carry eg the worms and eggs that cause eg toxoplasmosis which comes from meat.eg birds and rodents. Hence cat and dog poo...filthy stuff....

And not to be put thus in compost heaps in gardens whereas other droppings are great. We used to steep sheep droppings... and chicken manure is great.

Cows don't eat meat.

It is carnivores that carry eg the worms and eggs that cause eg toxoplasmosis which comes from meat.eg birds and rodents. Hence cat and dog poo...filthy stuff....

And not to be put thus in compost heaps in gardens whereas other droppings are great. We used to steep sheep droppings... and chicken manure is great.

Yes I know that cows don't eat meat, and that herbivore droppings are not as harmful as carnivores. But can cows not get worms and other parasites? Or can their poo not carry bacteria, such as salmonella? I'm genuinely asking because I thought that it could.

Anyway, I wasn't saying cow poo is dangerous, it was mostly a joke, but also it's not pleasant to walk on a road covered in cow poo. But that's how it is in the country so I don't have a problem with it. I was just saying that if my dog poos at the side of the road in a ditch in the countryside, it's not a huge deal, since people are much more likely to step in smelly cowpoo.

In the countryside it is just different. I really can't imagine anyone in the middle of nowhere picking up dog poo, whether that is right or wrong . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Ptotty

If there is even the smallest chance of someone stepping in it then pick it up.No bin well bring it with you or carry a shovel & bury it deep.Just like you would if you had to go.
    That's what I've done down through the years.
    I always have bags on me even if I have no pets.
    This excuse that a lot of people seem happy to use "there's no bin" is a poor one.Thats what a lot of people say when they leave rubbish on the mountain,park and beach walks.Sure hey why not throw my rubbish out my car window "there's no bins" so its OK.
    Huh?
    What's that all about?
    A person will look down there nose and scowl at a person littering while their own dog takes a big dump on a footpath!!
    I see no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yes I know that cows don't eat meat, and that herbivore droppings are not as harmful as carnivores. But can cows not get worms and other parasites? Or can their poo not carry bacteria, such as salmonella? I'm genuinely asking because I thought that it could.

Anyway, I wasn't saying cow poo is dangerous, it was mostly a joke, but also it's not pleasant to walk on a road covered in cow poo. But that's how it is in the country so I don't have a problem with it. I was just saying that if my dog poos at the side of the road in a ditch in the countryside, it's not a huge deal, since people are much more likely to step in smelly cowpoo.

In the countryside it is just different. I really can't imagine anyone in the middle of nowhere picking up dog poo, whether that is right or wrong . . .

Drawing on biology lessons from when I was 9 years old, cows do carry worms as intermediate hosts, but usually not in their intestines.

They can pick up the eggs of worms when munching on grass that had poo with the eggs on it. The worms larvae will then infest the cows muscle tissue, rather than the gut; they cause more damage to this host than the intestinal form to its final host. The parasite completes its life cycle when the grass-eater is eaten by a compatible carnivore, where they'll grow into the tapeworms in the intestinal tract.
    In this stage, the worms start reproducing again and will shed their eggs along with the poo if the infected animal, to be picked up again by herbivores.

So while cows carry the parasite, you need to eat the cow to get infected, it can't leave through the intestinal tract in that phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

hi just wondering from reading this thread...should you actually be carrying your dog licence with you when your walking your dog?i bring bags with me to clean up after my dog but never my licence...what would happen if i was stopped by the warden ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Cows don't eat meat.

Just to clarify something. Any animal can become infected with toxicplasmosis (herbivore or carnivore), which they will get by coming into contact with infected feline faeces or by a carnivore eating infected meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sassychick wrote: »
    hi just wondering from reading this thread...should you actually be carrying your dog licence with you when your walking your dog?i bring bags with me to clean up after my dog but never my licence...what would happen if i was stopped by the warden ???
    You have no obligation to carry your dog licence with you. If the warden stops you, he can ask if you have a licence, but he cannot demand to see it on the spot - and no actual warden will.
    If someone purporting to be a dog warden demands to see your licence on the spot, then you can assume that it's some form of scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

seamus wrote: »
    You have no obligation to carry your dog licence with you. If the warden stops you, he can ask if you have a licence, but he cannot demand to see it on the spot - and no actual warden will.
    If someone purporting to be a dog warden demands to see your licence on the spot, then you can assume that it's some form of scam.

There was a van going round some counties, sligo and limerick among others from what I remember, asking people to produce a licence, if they couldn't show them one they would ask for an on the spot fine, and since most people don't carry wads of cash around with them they would say they will seize the dog until you pay the fine. The dog then got taken away to be sold elsewhere.
    If someone asks you to produce a licence ask them for ID before showing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

i do not understand how you could ever pick it all from a footpath/grass. would there not be some left enough to slip on and carry germs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I worry about that also, one of my dogs suffers a bit with her tummy, which can make poo pick up a messy job, but I just clean up as much as I can, without going out with a steam sprayer there isn't much else I can do unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Not being a smartass but how is a warden going to enforce a fine? Are they going to follow you home to make sure you gave the correct address?

btw, I always pick up after our dogs and can't understand people not doing it, but if a warden confronted me accusing me of something I didn't do then I don't see how he/she can a) prove it or b)enforce it. What are they going to do, physically restrain you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

I worry about that also, one of my dogs suffers a bit with her tummy, which can make poo pick up a messy job, but I just clean up as much as I can, without going out with a steam sprayer there isn't much else I can do unfortunately.
    even if not messy a pooper scooper type thing could not pickup all the poo there would still be enough to get on shoes etc. have they never heard of micro organisms. i am not excusing it i see people every day alowing dogs to mess the footpath and think if they cannot be responsible they should keep the dog from pooing off public areas. if the dog has a bad tummy then do not bring him where he will mess. like when kids have an infectious illness they do not go to school

Advertisement