Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How easy is this to DIY?

• 23-05-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Have been taking the path out from the back of the house with a jackhammer and all was going well, took out the bit along the back of the house no problem, but when I started to take away some from the side a bit of the concrete render on the side of the house cracked off (pic below).

Is this something I can re-do myself? In which case I'm inclined to keep going and let any bits crack off as I go. Or is this something I would need to get someone else to come in and do?

Any and all advice\thoughts appreciated!

Photo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its totlally fixable yourself.

i would however minimise the amount you break.

what i would do is remove all loose material and frame off the damaged area by mounting a baton benaeth it forming a smal shutter . using a render mix then you can patch up the areas. make sure the areas are free of all dust. and you will also want to wet the area you are going to repair so the dry render wont leech the water from your wet mix making it crack.

looking at the finish too, just beofre the repair cures totally you would want to run a brush over the surface to match the finish. something like the brush off a dust pan and brush will do.

how this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Thanks for that. Should I avoid using the jackhammer to break the path near the wall or just go carefully?

Happy to do the repair if it's as straightforward as that.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

to be honest the jack hammer is fine . no need to use the jack hammer against the house.

the concrete footpath should be seperate from the house so if you break close to the house you should be able to pull the footpath away then break it up smaller with the jack hammer.

one thing i would be wary about using the jack hammer is that services could lie quite close to the underside of a footpath. so be carefull there is not electricity or water or gas around where you are jack hammering!

Advertisement