Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real world friends and gaming

Options
  • 23-05-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

Just curious about how many of your real world friends play video games? For me
    it is a big fat zero, not even one. This of course leads to plenty of slagging me off (especially in front of women) I could care less and hold my head high and just say yes i enjoy saving the world/universe regularly. What about you guy's do you have plenty of real world friends to enjoy your hobby with or do you, like me have to come to boards to partake in gaming conversation.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A big fat zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Funny I should happen upon this post. Gaming friends are real people too! Just had 4 gaming m8's up for the weekend. Lots of beer, gaming and a BBQ. Dont worry about your other m8's they aint cool gamers!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well only 3/4 play games games like real games, and everyone basically plays fifa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

mayordenis wrote: »
    well only 3/4 play games games like real games, and everyone basically plays fifa

No my mates don't even play any of the sport or fighting games. I've tried to get them interested with a bit of Guitar hero but to no avail. I will always drag them into the sitting room and show them a particularly good part of a game e.g The assault on the oil rig in MW2 went down well or the opening sequence in Uncharted 2, but if they try and pick up the controller it just gets frustrating the most recent example being spec ops. They just don't get that left thumb is for movement and the right is for camera. Idiots!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

loads. nearly all my friends do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

None here either , luckily for me boards has proved to be very good for getting like minded folks to join a game or 10 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Three. Not bad. But it's just a massive pain when I get a game that's mostly focused on co-op, but not one of my friends have the same game. That's the entire experience gone then. (e.g. Left 4 Dead...it was a fun game, but kinda useless without friends)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Most of my friends play games which is good with life going on we dont play as much together but i remember the saturday nights and 10 to 15 of us around 4 tvs playing halo 2 oh the long nights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only 2 of my mates would game nearly as much as me. Everyone else either doesn't at all or just the odd game of PES/FIFA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I had the pleasure of converting 5/6 of my friends to the dark side though :D we ended up forming a clan and that lasted a few years until we all got serious jobs. now we play the odd time for fun when we're free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The only reason I became friends with my RL friends is because we all game constantly. Though some of my female friends arent as big into it, you just get them talking about Pokemon or the LEGO games and they wont stop :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Quite a few,but all on different platforms..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Very few as well... Was good friends with a mate who introduced me to WoW, but haven't really spoken with him recently... (since I gave it up)
    Know a few guys in work who play, but they pretty much play CoD and nothing more.
    Any other friends are more up for the session than they are for picking up a controller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Quite a few,but all on different platforms..

Same here, always so much bitch fighting about which console is better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just 5.

1 on PS3
    4 on Xbox

they barely do be on though. And when they are it's usually MW2 or L4D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Not very many (3 or 4), and everyone, including myself game only fairly casually. Different platforms too, so little hope of multiplayer.
    Reckoner91 wrote: »
    (e.g. Left 4 Dead...it was a fun game, but kinda useless without friends)

Yeah, I agree there. That's why I wouldn't be bothered with those games. They look like they'd be great but you really need to know the people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only one of my regular group of friends is a gamer. There are plenty of acquaintances who game, just had a good long chat with an old friend from school about Alan Wake t'other night. I'd say the majority don't though, many have moved on from gaming to other hobbies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Most of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Most of my friends play games to some degree, there are quite a few who'd join me for monster sessions of left 4 dead or civ 4 or the likes, a few who aren't seriously into games and have a DS or wii or what have you, most of the rest will gladly join in the guitar hero or wii sports during a get together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

a few, not a huge amount though. they know what i do for a living though so i dont get much guff about it. they all recognise that its a savage job

my fiancee is a gamer too actually which is pretty sweet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

All my friends game, even the ones that dont like it, always do when they call over to my gaf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

weiland79 wrote: »
    They just don't get that left thumb is for movement and the right is for camera.
    Could never get used to the consoles. In saying that, I've been gaming since the mid 90's, so meh.

Mates who have been mates for 15-20 years don't game that much. They may play the odd console game, but mainly play RL games like darts, golf, etc. Have a good few mates who also play pc games, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

the_syco wrote: »
    Could never get used to the consoles. In saying that, I've been gaming since the mid 90's, so meh.

Mates who have been mates for 15-20 years don't game that much. They may play the odd console game, but mainly play RL games like darts, golf, etc. Have a good few mates who also play pc games, though.

God I've never even considered trying to get anyone into PC gaming, I think their brains would melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

Most of them didn't, but I've corrupted them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

My best mate is big into PC gaming. He bought a PS3 purely for MGS4 and GTA4 and after completing those, has never turned it on again i think!
    He got me into PC building too.
    Most of my others friends are alot more casual about it, but a good few own consoles and like their FIFA / PES etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Some of my friends are 'semi-professional' gamers. Sometimes I even wish they spent more time in the real world because there are so many things we could do together without any consoles or PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Most of my mates play games but i wouldnt call them gamers although im sure that would be the first word they used to describe me

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Topsnakebite

all of y frends lay games alot i would hate o hve friends that dont play games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

my best mate and I used to always play the same games as teenagers/early to mid 20's. But he never bought a PS3 or a gaming PC as he has "outgrown it" now that he's hit 30. The idiot. We had an epic co-op resident evil 5 session where we completed it in 1 night with a box of beers and grub from first play to last boss and I thought I had him back in the gaming swing of things and almost convinced him to get a PS3 but strangely enough after having a chat with his girlfriend he decided against it. The thing is I know he'd love Bad Company and all the current crop of good games, he's just denying his true self to keep some young wan happy.

He says its called growing up, I say its selling out.

Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Most of them do.
    Pretty much.

Advertisement