Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzle ? True South

• 23-05-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to install a Moteck 2100A.

I need to get true south.
    I understand that this could be where the sun is at solar noon.

Now the puzzle ...

Using Dishpointer .com....

I click on the map on exact spot the dish is and select motorised systems Motek 2100 -
    it displays a line indicating true south.....

If I select all sats and select METOESAT at 0.0E , the line points to a different location - to the west of the earlier line.

Id METORSAT is at 0.0E , is that not TRUE SOUTH ?

Why the difference ?

And which is true south ?

Today at 12.47 the sun was in the sky at the point indicated by the METORSAT position. ie to the west of what I thiought is true south. :confused:

I'm in Cork
    Long. 51.9292
    Lat. -8.3956

Anybody can clarify ?

A,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Apogee

0.0E is true south only for people living on the Greenwich Meridian. At your location, true south runs along the 8.39W longtitude line, so Atlantic Bird 2 at 8W is your closest satellite.

http://sites.google.com/site/freetoairinfo/home/how-to-install-and-align-a-diseqc-motor

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Slightly embarassed :o

I should have figured that out

Thanks.

I know I'll come back with other issues before this is done :)

A.

Aligning the Motor - The 'True South' Method

This method relies on aligning the motor with true south using a satellite which is positioned at or near true south for your location. In this case, we will use Atlantic Bird 2 located at 8 West as our reference for true south.

When you decide to use Atlantic Bird2 , does/should the receiver adjust dish's position to 8W ? or does it stay at the reference point in the centre of the motor scale = 0 ?

A.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

With your receiver at 8W, your motor position will be at 0 or very close to it (fine adjustments will be required).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 moc63

This might help http://www.moteck.com/product.asp?idproduct=91.
    I done my moteck last week and set it .5 deg w.
    As already said, use Atlantic bird 8w.
    make sure also you have an active transponder.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help.
    I't finally clicked with me that I had no transponders( well just 1) defined for the SATs at 8 W . I downloaded a file of transponder data and keyed in a few .
    Bingo :) . channels pop up all over .

I was struggling with a signal strength of 54% and no signal quality. Clearly now it was lack of transponders.

I did, at an early stage, see the 'innocent' little sentence ' Make sure you're on an active transponder' and did not realise the full significance of it :o

I've been adjusting all kinds of angles and now find I'm back at my original settings and it works :)

I'm all ready to tackle the next stage tomorrow ;

set up other sats
    put on rest of transponders - maybe a TP editor helps here ?

and then begin the search/scan for the others

Cheers :):)

A.

Advertisement