Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler shoes

Options
  • 23-05-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

I know there's no VAT on childrens shoes so why are they so expensive? I paid €35 and €42 for my little girls first two pairs of clarks.

I was visiting a friend the other day and she said she never spent more than €10 on her childs shoes as she bought them in Dunnes. I think she would get them measured first or maybe she just get her to try the shoes on. Anyway does anyone know of a way to get the right shoes at the right price? I always had Clarks as a child so i hadn't considered anything else.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

childrens feet are still developing so Clarks are probably the best.i wouldn't buy anyhting more then beach shoes anywhere else for now.
    The price is ridiculous though.
    Fit is really important and that includes width and length and of course shoes can be the exact same size and 1 pair will slip on the ankle and the other won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Thanks, That's what I thought. I got her a really cute pair of crocs on amazon for a tenner but they are for the beach etc.

Anyone know of other shoes than clarks as I see some really cute soft looking shoes on toddlers but I don't know where to get them fitted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are kids shoe shops too,i forget the name of them though.Little Piggys i think is one.
    Clarks sell the soft shoes for 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

I get my toddler measured in Clarks, but buy the shoes online for about 30% of the price - use a website shoesforkids.co.uk and have found them great so far, some friends have been using them too and so far no complaints - I've bought a few pairs in Ebay online shops too. He grew out of the last pair we bought in a real shop in a matter of weeks so I'm a bit dubious about how much to trust their sizing when spending 55 euro on a pair of toddler shoes. Luckily he is mouthy enough now to tell us when his shoes pinch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

emmiou wrote: »
    I'm a bit dubious about how much to trust their sizing when spending 55 euro on a pair of toddler shoes. !

Don't trust their sizing! i had a nightmare experiance when i took my daughter for her first shoe fitting,

she had just started walking on her own when i got a clarks card thing in the post, so i decided to try their nearest stockist in my local shopping centre, she measured my daughters feet at 4F but as its a small shop only had one pair of boots in that size, it was shoes i was looking for so she suggested the next nearest Clarks store (im not sure if i can name them)

i went there where a shop assistant there measured my daughters feet at 3G, however the shoes would not go on my daughters feet, she told me my daughter was curling her toes and that until my daughter stopped doing so she couldnt fit the shoes, she then stared at me leaving me with the choice of buying the shoes and trying again later or leaving without a purchase, i was very confused at the two sizings and didn't know what to do.

i left without purchasing and ended up driving an hours drive to the third and final clarks stockest in cork, there i met a wonderful sales assistant who i explained the story to, she told me not to tell her the previous measurements and see what she got, she measured 4F (and found shoes that size that fitted my daughter perfectly), and was shocked when i told her the 3G measurement i was given in the clarks store,

in the end i wrote a very angry e-mail to clarks about the sales assistant who tried to convince me my daughter was a full size smaller than she is, and all i got was a reply telling me they had spoken to the manager there and i could too if i wished, and they would re-train this staff member (who they trained to be allowed to fit childrens shoes wrong in the first place)

all i know is i will never again trust one of clarks employees, you are better off measuring yourself or get a few measurements to get the right one and buy the shoes yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JuliePhotoArt

I'm a happy user of shooshoos.com :)
    They have a sizing chart that you can download and print to measure your baby's foot to match their sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

I get our son's shoes at Paul O'Connor shoes, on Princes Street. The sales staff are very knowledgeable about the unique care and keeping of developing kids' feet, and the selection is very good.
    I'd be hard pressed to go anywhere else.

Advertisement