Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSFIV - Pay2Play Tournament

Options
  • 23-05-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Nothing is set in stone yet but I've been working together with the staff of www.euesports.com in trying to get a pay2play tournament set up for the European SSFIV community. Depending on interest it can be run on either PS3 or 360 or both.

This thread is just to get a general number of players who might be interested in the event. Hopefully it can be a success.

Please c+p these lists with your name placed under your preferred console.

PS3:

360:

Both:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I believe there was a free to play online tournament there not too long ago... for both consoles... =/

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

im in for both...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Odgey

Xinkai wrote: »
    I believe there was a free to play online tournament there not too long ago... for both consoles... =/

Play all the free tournaments you want, no one is stopping you.

As for this we're going to need at least 32 people to get it off of the ground, since it's a Europe wide tourney hopefully that shouldn't be too difficult to get. Entrance fee would be around €10 meaning a €320 Euro prize pot. Of course the more players who enter the bigger the prize pot will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Sairus Illumina - xbox 360

Would totally be up for this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd never pay to enter an online tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Yes, pay-to play online tourneys are a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I'd never pay to enter an online tournament.

Agreed
    Very little positives and a huge amount of negatives
    surrounding online tourneys.
    I've beenin two lately and both were woeful and full of cheating and so far removed from an offline tourney that they cannot even be compared
    €10 also seems way over-priced.
    Why not start a lot lower around €1 to gauge both interest and viability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I couldn't get decent games against Irish people the other night.

I'm out
    /Duncan Banatyne

So what exactly is it that isn't appealing about this for people? the fact that it's online and lag etc may factor into it?

If it has anything to do with trust regarding money then feel free to visit the site and talk to the management. They're currently running a p2p Modern Warfare 2 tournament and I can vouch for them.

Also the suggested entrance fee is so high because it would guarantee a large prize pot for the winners.

As I said as of now this is not happening, what I'm doing is seeing how much interest I could muster up for this and any future SSF tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lag is a massive factor in fighting games and online play is generally considered just for fun as stuff works online that'd never work offline and it'd be pointless to put your money on the line when the connection could beat you instead of your opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I like this idea, infact i like it so much that i am going to steal your idea and make some money from it :)

Thanks buddy!

you do realise that I nor the site managment stand to make any money from this if it was to happen, the entrance fees would all be put towards the prize pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Odgey wrote: »
    you do realise that I nor the site managment stand to make any money from this if it was to happen, the entrance fees would all be put towards the prize pot.

I don`t care what your plans are, but am telling you my plans, am gonna use this idea and make it into something, hopefully make a bit of cash.

I got 5 kids to feed and am unemployed, times are hard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Odgey wrote: »
    So what exactly is it that isn't appealing about this for people? the fact that it's online and lag etc may factor into it?

If it has anything to do with trust regarding money then feel free to visit the site and talk to the management. They're currently running a p2p Modern Warfare 2 tournament and I can vouch for them.

Also the suggested entrance fee is so high because it would guarantee a large prize pot for the winners.

As I said as of now this is not happening, what I'm doing is seeing how much interest I could muster up for this and any future SSF tournaments.

For me it is purely lag.

It'd just frustrate me as I sail by someone I should have air thrown with my usual flair/ frustrating bastardness (delete as appropriate) when money/ a tournament place is at cost.

Also, I am in and out of Ireland, so I prob wouldn't be able to commit to the amount of matches you'd need.

Thirdly, we have real life tournaments, so you have established competition :)

It's a good idea but in general I think it might attract more casual players.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'd also be relunctant to commit money to an online tournament.

Can't garuntee a lag free experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't even pay for a GGPO tournament, and that has superior netcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah, there's no chance I'd enter something like this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

@ Odgey

I'm hope you understand we're not being dismissive here and we appreciate you asking us and what your trying to do.

I don't know how much you know about fighting games but its really down to the nature of the game, or at least mid to high level play of the game.

The genres pretty unique compared to others. I mean your really need everything to be absolutely perfect as it requires perfect controls , perfect timing and speed and frame rate and a perfect level on concentration. Anything that disturbs any of these factors can cause a lot of damage to peoples ability to compete at their top level.

We're even picky about TV's causing lag in the fighting game scene because it is an issue.

From an outside perspective this might seem a bit mad but when you play at a certain level it all makes perfect sense.

The issues people have here have nothing to do with worrying about the credibility of the site with their money etc its just way too risky to put money on an online fighting game tourney.

Well that's fair enough and I can see why you have your reservations as the lag can be bad at times. Maybe a free/casual tourney would work better but I'll let this drop for now anyway.

I myself never got into fighting games competitively until SF4..easy access to online etc but have been playing them since the SNES days. I'm more of a shooter player but everything that's out atm is boring so really that's why I wanna get into the SF scene a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Yeah its really good craic , this scene is great you should deffo take part, where abouts are you from?

There's meet ups in Dublin twice a week , 2 big tournies coming up these next 2 weekends. Meet ups in Limerick and theres meet ups and tournies in Belfast also.

Getting stuck in with the scene improves your game very fast plus it just really adds to the fun factor of these games and personally in my opinion its what their all about in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement