Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanted: Carbon Clincher Road Wheels

• 23-05-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a pair of Carbon Clincher Road Wheels available?
    Ideally Mavic Carbone's or similar, I doubt I can afford Zipps but you never know! :)
    Shimano compatible please.

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Neither Zipp nor Mavic do carbon clinchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I thought zipp did? or is it carbon with alu braking surface and so not considered a carbon wheel?

abcdggs wrote: »
    I thought zipp did? or is it carbon with alu braking surface and so not considered a carbon wheel?

Generally speaking, the "carbon clincher" is used for full carbon as opposed to "aluminium rim with carbon fairing".

It's not just the braking surface, it's the whole clincher section of the rim that matters, in terms of lightness (carbon better) and impact resistance (carbon worse).

Not trying to be pedantic, just think it's important when asking for stuff to make the correct distinctions. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

These ones are cheap and cheerful, I know nothing about them but they are certain to just be one of those generic brands. Similar in design to the Mavics and a couple of hundred cheaper. Jedi-Sports.de will do the Cosmics shipped for about €725 as well.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Wheels-Factory-Road-Triathlon-CSN-Pair-Wheels-Superleggera-XL50-Clincher/CSNAWHFR100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Thanks Quigs, they look pretty good.

Oh btw, full carbon or carbon/alloy is fine with me! :)

EDIT: I'm looking at clinchers as I believe tub tyres are a nightmare to change??

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Well, tubs are pricey I would say and a little impractical for every day purposes, especially if you are a mechanical moron like me. I have Zipp Tubs on my (yet to be used this year) race bike, but I use Reynolds Assault Carbon Clinchers on it for training purposes because that way I don't have to fiddle around with brake pads.

My training bike that I am using right now has Cosmics on. Great wheel. Heavy but tough. No idea what the CSN's are but they look like the cheapest entry to deep section clinchers that I can see around right now unless you can pick up a second hand set somewhere. I think the CSN's will be heavy around 1900 grams, but if you buy a wheel like that then you expect it. The older model Cosmic Carbone SSC was about 2050 and I still see fellas riding them in A1 races, so you should be fine.

The Ribble wheels are out of stock. :(

Found these while googling, look ok..anyone heard of 'em?

http://fuertebici.com/site/?p=734

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Found these while googling, look ok..anyone heard of 'em?

http://fuertebici.com/site/?p=734

Amazing price. Mentioned here recently. 4-5 week lead time apparently.

I think carbon clinchers are still considered non-mainstream in terms of impact resistance, wet braking issues and alpine descending overheating, but used appropriately and bought with a sense of humour I think they're a decent choice.

.......and of course there's always our friends in hong kong........

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    These ones are cheap and cheerful, I know nothing about them but they are certain to just be one of those generic brands. Similar in design to the Mavics and a couple of hundred cheaper. Jedi-Sports.de will do the Cosmics shipped for about €725 as well.

I noticed that the Cycle Superstore are doing them for 742 at the moment:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=89&idproduct=36751

Unfortunately not in stock, or fortunately as I almost bought a pair only for they didn't have thm in stock!

They seem to have good prices on the website, picked up a pair of shifters for 60 euro less then chainreaction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

These ones are cheap and cheerful, I know nothing about them but they are certain to just be one of those generic brands.
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Wheels-Factory-Road-Triathlon-CSN-Pair-Wheels-Superleggera-XL50-Clincher/CSNAWHFR100
    No idea what the CSN's are but they look like the cheapest entry to deep section clinchers that I can see around right now unless you can pick up a second hand set somewhere. I think the CSN's will be heavy around 1900 grams, but if you buy a wheel like that then you expect it.

I was looking at getting something like you a while back and came across the CSN's and if I remember correctly I saw some pretty horrific reviews of them....I may be wrong but I think they are claimed to weigh 2kg + or something like that....may be worth looking into yourself if you are serious about getting them...saying that I know nothing about them myself and can't vouch for the accuracy of those reviews...just a heads up more than anything else...best of luck! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Lumen wrote: »
    Neither Zipp nor Mavic do carbon clinchers.

Zipp are now doing a 404 carbon clincher - looks good, but not for our roads methinks!

spyderski wrote: »
    Zipp are now doing a 404 carbon clincher - looks good, but not for our roads methinks!

Ooooh, so they are (and here).

Suggested retail price on the new 404 Carbon Clincher is $2,700. Normal 404 clincher is $2285, which would suggest UK/Ireland prices for the carbon clincher of....?.

I see CRC are out of stock, and Wiggle have the "special edition" alloy 404s for just over €1k. Wonder whether they'll be phasing out the alloy rim altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

They shouldn't. I can't see the carbon clinchers being anywhere near as strong as the Aluminium version. I've ridden a pair of the latter all winter. I'm now 12.5 stone, but was 13.5 stone before Christmas, and have never had a problem. I'm actually now looking at buying a new set of Zipps, 'cos i'm using these everyday & would like to have a pair for racing & "good wear"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

183 grams difference between the new carbon 404's and the Cosmic Carbon Sl's, however a very significant price difference.

Advertisement