Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusion over wireless packages for Skype

Options
  • 23-05-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I am a student in Dublin and would like to get an easy wireless that is strong/fast enough for Skype with videocalls. I have been told not to go for some of the cheaper packages as they are not strong/fast enough.
    Trying to find out is very confusing with all the jargon. Also due to leave in 6 months so do not want a contract longer than that.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Maria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I have a Meteor 3G stick and it works quite well with Skype. They offer a "pay as you go" so you're not tied into a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Avoid any of the mobile phone companies midband products (its called that here as it isn't really broadband, see here, it has its own forum) as the best pingtime You're going to get is 120ms+ which is far too high for good Voip (and gaming).
    A decent half mbit (512kbps) up and down fixed wireless connection is fine for Voip

Advertisement