Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

review this please

Options
  • 23-05-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

What do people think of this clip of my band? All constructive criticism welcome. It's not the best rendition of that particular song but I think you get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHgh_5PhWnw

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

KevBass24 wrote: »
    Hi,

What do people think of this clip of my band? All constructive criticism welcome. It's not the best rendition of that particular song but I think you get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHgh_5PhWnw

just that tune?

It's pretty.. umm... dull...

I don't know... not really for me though...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KevBass24

That's not very constructive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I thought it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Bit late.. but I liked it..

Difficult to tell with the bad recording..

But..

Really like the singer.. but the band didnt really didn't create an interesting backdrop for the song (or its lost in the recording).. the bass plodded along and the guitar can't be heard.. there were points in the sound which were just crying out for more intensity (or tempo).. but it plodded along..

And drop the solo at the end :) .. it was disjointed.. and well pointless.. that sped up tempo could have been used for a verse (and the solo behind).. on it's own, it just seemed out of place..

Really nice basis for a song.. need a few tweaks though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

I think it was pretty good :) but the guitarists need to do more to be honest :o but otherwise pretty impressive :D

• Advertisement

I like the singer.

But. . eh, I agree with above comments.

That "solo" job, is completely pointless.
    Why is it even there. . kinda came outta the blue.

It took a lot for me to keep listening tbh.

Dull, could only hear bass.
    Ehh. . faster tempo maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

more work needed on the songwriting...reminded me of stone roses with the loud bass, so thats not a bad thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I loved the solo!! Nice song - although I think the guitarist could do something a bit more in the verses to make it interesting. Kinda boring just listening to the bassline after a while! Cool singing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

IMO, its got potential, but I agree mostly with the above posts.

I like the solo / tempo increase section it works, though I would perhaps get the guitarist to add some delay and reverb to ambient it up, but thats just my taste creeping through! :)

The biggest problem with it, as I see it, is its length. The band kicks in at about the 30s mark and stops playing at about 5:55. Thats 5:25 of a song which is a whopper length to hold peoples attention without changing things up.

Basically what I would do if I were you guys would be to break into the ending section at the 2:30 mark of the song and finish it at latest at the 3:30 point. Its just too monotonous to sustain the length of the song.

Dont get me wrong, I listen to alot of prog and Ive nothing against song length, but I do have an issue about song length if it gets boring! :)

To finish on a positive note though, the bassist and singer are pretty decent. Drummer is good too...the guitarist is virtually non-existant on the recording, but I will blame the recording on that one! :)
    Hope this helps, and remember, in the end the people who have to play and enjoy the song the most so if you aren't enjoying the song then there is something wrong with it.
    Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

I liked it but it (the song) didn't have enough musical presence. I'd consider getting a rhythm guitarist and changing the tone of the bass. Right now the bass has far much too treble. I think a deeper, truer bass sound would fill things out because in that song it sounded like you had only 2 guitarist but one was only picking one at a time really slowly. No real resonating bass tones there. However, all of this could also just have been how it sounded on that video.... It's hard to say.
    Good singer and musicians all round though the bassist could have done something a little more interesting while the solo is happening in my personal opinion. Look at other bands that have only 1 guitarist and a bassist. The bass needs to become not only the bass but also the rhythm guitarist,like Primus. They could nearly just be a bassist and a drummer. I'm getting off the point. And I am just going off one song. And I'm a bassist so I'm naturally gonna have more to say about that. Do you have a Myspace with more material?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Virgin prunes music
    Grunge vocals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

Again, great singer but the music wasn't up to much. Maybe the sound was, as somebody else mentioned, lost in the recording. Everybody bar the singer looked bored and if he had not been there I would have fallen asleep. The lead guitarist had zero presence and I would say zero talent, but who am I to judge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

Also, the singer reminded me of Billy Idol at times :) (not a bad thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JennyOB

This sounds very different to me, which is very refreshing, really like this song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 thered

i liked it :D

Advertisement