Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1

Options
  • 23-05-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Ok, so in my school, we've done absolutely nothing for paper 1 except the mocks... Any general advice? If a letter comes up, how long should we have it? How much are yis planning to write for each section? Is it true that its impossible to get a high mark with a short story, you're better off just making up an essay on the spot? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

For the Section B (letters etc.) I usually do a page of exam paper front and back and that suits me fine.
    For the essay I recommend exploring each type of essay you can do - I used to do short stories until I realised that I was TERRIBLE at them and that I was much better off doing another type. I personally like doing the persuasive essay/speech/debate/article, for me personally it's a lot easier to write and, unlike short stories, it's easier not to go off on a tangent and completely deviate from what you originally planned to write.
    Our teacher hadn't done any Paper 1 with us either but I practiced a few essays and comprehensions which helped. Look through the past papers to see the sort of things you're asked. Maybe hand your teacher up a couple of sample answers if you get the chance. Read newspaper articles/short stories to help you, trust me it really does help to read read read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

zam wrote: »
    For the Section B (letters etc.) I usually do a page of exam paper front and back and that suits me fine.
    For the essay I recommend exploring each type of essay you can do - I used to do short stories until I realised that I was TERRIBLE at them and that I was much better off doing another type. I personally like doing the persuasive essay/speech/debate/article, for me personally it's a lot easier to write and, unlike short stories, it's easier not to go off on a tangent and completely deviate from what you originally planned to write.
    Our teacher hadn't done any Paper 1 with us either but I practiced a few essays and comprehensions which helped. Look through the past papers to see the sort of things you're asked. Maybe hand your teacher up a couple of sample answers if you get the chance. Read newspaper articles/short stories to help you, trust me it really does help to read read read!

I actually prefer to do short stories for that particular reason. I find that once I start on a short story, my creativity starts to really work overtime and I start to get more and more ideas as I'm going along, while still keeping my original story the same, just with a few more twists that, in my opinion, help the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Reckoner91 wrote: »
    I actually prefer to do short stories for that particular reason. I find that once I start on a short story, my creativity starts to really work overtime and I start to get more and more ideas as I'm going along, while still keeping my original story the same, just with a few more twists that, in my opinion, help the story.

Sounds good! May work for some people, but I personally just start to get silly :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

I think the key to Paper I is just practise practise practise! If you have a spare half hour/ forty five minutes do a Section A or B, they're worth the same amount of marks as the prescribed poetry question! There's a very good revision book Shortcuts to Success: English Essay Writing that covers all of Paper I in detail, I recommend buying that and spending a few hours reading it cover to cover, it seriously helped me. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

fauxshow wrote: »
    I think the key to Paper I is just practise practise practise! If you have a spare half hour/ forty five minutes do a Section A or B, they're worth the same amount of marks as the prescribed poetry question! There's a very good revision book Shortcuts to Success: English Essay Writing that covers all of Paper I in detail, I recommend buying that and spending a few hours reading it cover to cover, it seriously helped me. Good luck!

I might buy that just for a read before the exam. And yeah we havnt done paper one stuff either I got 94# in tge mocks though,.. I got seriously lucky with the short story I feel and I need help on question B's lol. I hate writing letters so I probs won't do that. I can't remember where the address goes half the time. I normally score high in the paper 1... An A1 in paper 1 and a c1 in paper too can give you a B1 overall! That sounds nice doesn't it? :D

Would the letter be easy to get marks in? :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement