Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to Tramore

• 23-05-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm planning on moving to waterford for the summer. I was just wondering what is the distance from the city to tramore? If i was moving down there it'd be great to be able to go for a swim in the sea out there. If its not far I'd nearly buy a bike and cycle there the odd time. Or would there be a closer location to go for a swim in the sea?

Thanks a million,
    Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

About 13km, 10-15 minute drive on an easy road.
    Tramore probably has the best places to swin in the sea - The beach obviously but also the pier/gillomine (However you spell it :p).
    A lot of people cycle the road, or even walk it, no cycle lanes as such but in most places a decent hard shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm planning on moving to waterford for the summer. I was just wondering what is the distance from the city to tramore? If i was moving down there it'd be great to be able to go for a swim in the sea out there. If its not far I'd nearly buy a bike and cycle there the odd time. Or would there be a closer location to go for a swim in the sea?

Thanks a million,
    Ger

From the tower hotel to the beach is around 8 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Nice one lads. I'll look into it a bit more now in a few days. Roll on the summer :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tramore to Waterford is a very popular route for cyclists, runners and even walkers, totally do-able as a commute to work on a bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Hello all,

Thanks a million,
    Ger

Definitely cycleable.

Its a safe route too, there is a big hard shoulder or cycle track almost all the way.

• Advertisement

Jaysus yer a sound bunch down in Waterford in fairness to ye! :)

It'd be lovely to cycle out there for a swim on a sunny day when theres nothing else to be done. Glad to hear its cycleable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ahh sure you had nothing to worry about when it comes to the locals, we are a friendly bunch down here..

Its getting the sunny days I'd be worrying about.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Tramore is a great place to swim,but if you decide to go for a walk in the sand dunes do not be tempted to swim off the beach in the dunes as there are some very strong and unpredictable current's,swimming off the main beach is a joy,if you enjoy diving find your way to Newtown cove and have fun.:cool:

Tramore is a great place to swim,but if you decide to go for a walk in the sand dunes do not be tempted to swim off the beach in the dunes as there are some very strong and unpredictable current's,swimming off the main beach is a joy,if you enjoy diving find your way to Newtown cove and have fun.:cool:

Off the main beach it is so, thanks a mill :cool:

Would it be safe to leave the bike chained to a rail down there?

And if anyone on here cycles the route from the city to Tramore - roughly how long would it take, and would i need to get a helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Depends on what type bike you ride. 20 mins or so to get in to the cork road if you want to go in at a nice pace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Would it be safe to leave the bike chained to a rail down there?

You could expect some opportunistic thieves, but there would not be any professional bike thieves. So long as its a half decent lock you should be fine.

A little off topic, but I'd definitely recommend a D-Lock over a chain. Just to allow some extra security (but then I normally put 3 locks on my bike).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

and would i need to get a helmet?

Thats down to your personal preferences to be honest, somepeople like wearing them others don't.
    Your not required by law to have one

Yer all legends lads, thanks a million

Advertisement