Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Fibre Power Broadband Availability

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

lynchie wrote: »
    They are upgrading Clondalkin at the moment. They have been busy digging up and laying fibre along the old nangor road the past 6 days.

cool , I'm right beside the fonthill road so looking at that map I my never get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

And you don't think the drop in service may have had anything to do with the fact that two companies servicing hundreds of thousands of people were merging?
    And that such a merger isn't going to be free of problems.

No it was pretty much overnight. There were many problems that went with the merger, the call centre was the shock one.
    You ask the vast majority of Chorus customers, going back decades, and you'll see that until UPC bought them out they were never though of badly.

They're the ones I asked. I had always assumed when UPC took over things would improve on both fronts. No one I ever asked (admittedly very few) about Chorus had good things to say.
    As I said, the center in Limerick and the one in Waterford were both vying for the overall job, and the one in Limerick got it for a reason.

Lower cost?
    Unfortunately it doesn't make a difference, as UPC came in and changed everything anyway.

And now we're getting somewhere.

Anyway, other than your slightly OTT defensive answer. Do you have a source for that? I was curious as to where / what it was printed in, or if people outside Limerick agreed with this. In my experience, the NTL call centre was leagues better. I am only looking for where it said Chorus > NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Anyone have a better map then there blue & green 1 ?

I looked up my area on google map
    but it didn't help much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

paulm17781 wrote: »
    No it was pretty much overnight. There were many problems that went with the merger, the call centre was the shock one.

They're the ones I asked. I had always assumed when UPC took over things would improve on both fronts. No one I ever asked (admittedly very few) about Chorus had good things to say.

Lower cost?

And now we're getting somewhere.

Anyway, other than your slightly OTT defensive answer. Do you have a source for that? I was curious as to where / what it was printed in, or if people outside Limerick agreed with this. In my experience, the NTL call centre was leagues better. I am only looking for where it said Chorus > NTL.

I don't have the paper.
    I'm not a paper reader, and only bought it due to the fact that I was going on a plane/train journey.
    It would have been on 29/04 as I was heading over to the Liverpool Atletico game (to see that cnut Forlan!:mad:).
    I read about it in both the Mirror and the Irish Times.

Also, as I said, I've had dealings with both companies, and know a few accountants who used to work with Chorus.
    Financialy they were a joke.
    They made so many mistakes and cost themselves so much money, you wouldn't believe the stories I've heard.
    (Millions worth of equipment purchased and never used but instead let to rot in boxes).

But as for custoemr care they were much better.

This is Ireland, and everyone complains about everything, but Chorus had a much better public face.

As I said, they were well known for same day service calls.
    They wouldn't disconnect service until way after the due dates.
    Waiting 10 minutes to get through to them was an extreme aberation.

They were always thought of as a lesser service, but a better staff.
    Which is ironic to me, as in the space of 5 years, UPC have pretty much reversed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I read about it in both the Mirror and the Irish Times.

Sadly nothing about it in the Irish times archive. I really would like to have read that, I've never heard a good thing said about Chorus before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

They were always thought of as a lesser service, but a better staff.
    Which is ironic to me, as in the space of 5 years, UPC have pretty much reversed it.

How is that the case? Better service lesser staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

How is that the case? Better service lesser staff?

Well Chorus offered 6MB BB and UPC offer 30.
    Chorus offered a carrier phone service using Eircoms lines, UPC ahve their own.
    Chorus had a fairly average channel line up, and UPC's - while no world beater - is better.

However a lot of the "local business" feel that Chorus had is gone.
    UPC are more of a faceless multinational comparativly.
    Also the wait time when getting through to them is much higher, and call outs are slightly longer away.

UPC have a lot more staff than Chorus I'm sure, but have a hell of alot more customers.

Advertisement