Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wow What a Day!

• 23-05-2010 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi

Was just in Marlay Park and saw a guy with a camera and I came to the conclusion that I want one, what should I get, I hear Canon and Nikon are the best, dont really want to spend any more than 10k to start with until I get used to it! I suppose I will need to upgrade my Comp aswell, so maybe 15k

Suggestions please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

is that 10,000 on a camera? more money than sense if you ask me even a nikon doesnt cost that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SouthDublinMan

Camera, Lens, Bag, Flash Tripod!

Would I get much for under 10K

http://www.nikon.com/

try site above but really 10k unless your going to be a professional that is excessive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

2K would get you a very decent kit but you could easily spend way more or way less.

Don't spend too long deciding - especially while the weather is good!. Nikon or Canon are good bets but you can't rule out others. They do provide the best options for 2nd hand gear though.

Visit your local camera shop and get you hands on the goodies so to speak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Not really, but you seem like a nice guy so I'll sell you all my gear for €9,999. I'm feeling generous today.

• Advertisement

foto joe wrote: »
    Not really, but you seem like a nice guy so I'll sell you all my gear for €9,999. I'm feeling generous today.

hey not fair i was just going through all my stuff and could do a better deal hows €9,998 sound :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I don't know what the nikon equivalent is so I'll suggest buying a 5D Mark II (it's a good camera and isn't cheap but is worth the money). If you have 10k to spare on a whim then head into the camera shop on grafton street and ask for one there with a nice wide/zoom lens and have a look at the bags on display and pick whichever one you want that costs around 100 quid and looks cool - same for a tripod.

Don't worry about a flash for now - the built in one will do you fine until you've had some practice - otherwise a separate one will just add a level of complexity that will probably put you off.

If you've any common sense you'll browse a few photography tutorials for beginners - here's loads to get you started: http://digital-photography-school.com/tips/popular

Once you have a camera and have taken a few snaps and played around with Adobe Lightroom (which you can easily afford I presume) then come and post some on the Random thread here so we can all laugh at you - I'm kidding. It's very encouraging when you take a nice shot and the good people here let you know about it. Not to mention that there are some very, very good photographers in this forum so you could easily learn a thing or two without even trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

SouthDublinMan are you rich?! Not wanting to adhere too much to social stereotypes about South Dublin people but 10,000 Euros for a starter kit as a bit of craic???:eek:

Seriously just check out adverts.ie and get yourself a cheap second hand DSLR such as a Canon 400D (have one but not trying to plug a sale here :pac:) or something. Toy around with that and figure out what it is you are looking to do with the photography before spending 10K on a load of gear!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Nikon D3x
    ***Professional Price: €5514.40**
    **Includes Free Upgrade to 2 Year warranty. Click here to visit the Nikon Website for details**

**Professional Price: €1390.95 ex VAT**
    Professional, extreme wideangle zoom NIKKOR lens, with14-24mm zoom range

Our price : €1,650.00 Price: 24-70mm zoom range

Price : €2,199.00 Price: 70-200 f2.8 VR II

Professional, fast aperture, telephoto zoom lens with Vibration Reduction, and Nano Crystal coat. Boasts superb edge-to-corner sharpness and fast, quiet autofocus that offers outstandingly sharp images under any lighting conditions. Weather sealed magnesium body to meet the most challenging professional needs

I think you will be very happy with these,
    I think you might have to save up for a Nikon SB900 flashgun :D

I've got an Olympus E-420, 14-42mm F3.5-5.6, kit lens, 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 lens, a Canon 20D with it's 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, a Metz 48 Flash Gun, a Slik 400DX tripod, Joby Gorillapod with ballhead, seperate bags for almost each piece of equipment and a spare memory cards/batteries. Including books on photography, camera straps, cleaning pen/blower and other such misc. items, I've spent no more than €1,500.

That stuff isn't exactly amazing, but it does more than I'll ever need it to!

To be honest, as a beginner in the world of photography, I have more equipment than I'll ever actually use. Some of the stuff I bought (Flash gun, for example) has seen little to no use and the only things I want to buy in future are a camera backpack, viewfinder eye cups and a 50mm lens for the canon. I don't actually need them, just want them.

If you spend €10,000 starting out then, unless you have money to burn, you're just throwing it down the drain. What if you go out and spend an absolute fortune on camera gear and decide you hate photography?

OP, if i were you, I'd get yourself a cheap-ass DSLR, a prime lens, a telephoto lens and a tripod. You shouldn't get bored for a long time.

As you get more interested in different things, you can tailor your future purchases to whatever it is you want to photograph. There's no point spending €5,000 on a lens that is made for pro's who shoot sport, when you're only going to be taking photos of buildings at night, for example.

A solid, good desktop or laptop can be gotten for about €1,000 these days, too (unless you're into really hardcore gaming or something). OP, Adjust your budgets downwards by 70% and stick the left over into the Credit Union or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

lol, InB4LocK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Think its time to lock this one, I am amazed people took it seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

the_monkey wrote: »
    Think its time to lock this one, I am amazed people took it seriously!

It stuck out a mile:sunstroke and first post under that nick :D

I was at the Game tonight in the RDS, some of those sports guys have huge lenses were any of the boardsies at the game would love to see some pics, was thinking again bout the camera but tbh there is so much choice I dont know where to start, I am sorry f I came acress arrogant bout the spons but I really would like to get some good gear!
    A guy I know told me that the lenses dont really go down in price if second hand is this truE?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

A guy I know told me that the lenses dont really go down in price if second hand is this truE?

not in the slightest... second hand market for good quality lens... i'd say youd be paying between 75-90 percent retail... prob closer to higher end of those figures.

tbh starting out... a d40(400 euro) and a d3x(5000 euro), youd have no clue the difference, aside from weight and buttons. If you really wanna buy 'good gear', by simple so you can learn, kinda silly going into a new hobby from the top, by the time you get to grips a with d3x, you'll be playing with a 5 year old slr, and you'll be obsolete, and being a gear hound that you seem, it'd be wasted money... but then again... you seem to want that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Wether ur genuine or not I'd recommend....

5D mk II or 7D (if u want sports)
    50mm 1.4
    24-105L IS
    70-200L IS f4
    100-400L IS

You're covered all the way up to 400 or as you said if you have money and like footy maybe substitue the 100-400L for a 300 2.8L which is expensive but your 10k budget will cover it.

PM me if u need more advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi

Was just in Marlay Park and saw a guy with a camera and I came to the conclusion that I want one.

You want a man or a camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

Promac wrote: »
    I don't know what the nikon equivalent is so I'll suggest buying a 5D Mark II (it's a good camera and isn't cheap but is worth the money). If you have 10k to spare on a whim then head into the camera shop on grafton street and ask for one there with a nice wide/zoom lens and have a look at the bags on display and pick whichever one you want that costs around 100 quid and looks cool - same for a tripod.

Don't worry about a flash for now - the built in one will do you fine until you've had some practice - otherwise a separate one will just add a level of complexity that will probably put you off.

You know what they say, you learn something new every day...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Obviously you want to spend your money on something that is not only expensive, but which also LOOKS expensive, and will attract admiring glances from women and envious ones from men. As a bonus, it also takes fine photographs !

What you want is a Leica. Specifically a ..

Leica M9
    Leica 50mm Summicron

And that's pretty much it really. For your €10000 you might be also able to buy some accessories, a lens hood for €160 or so for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Obviously you want to spend your money on something that is not only expensive, but which also LOOKS expensive, and will attract admiring glances from women and envious ones from men. As a bonus, it also takes fine photographs !

Leica M9
    Leica 50mm Summicron

And that's pretty much it really. For your €10000 you might be also able to buy some accessories, a lens hood for €160 or so for example.

In this case you'll also only attract the women that know how much that little red dot costs... extra bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Mmmmm... red dooooooootttt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If you have 10k to spare on a whim then head into the camera shop on grafton street

Picture happy camera shop owner when someone walks in saying "I have 10K to spend, help me"!

Why spend 10k on a camera when I have some magic beans here for €100...

sineadw wrote: »
    Mmmmm... red dooooooootttt....

<__<
    >__>

-sticks red dot on front of nikon-

I have red lines around all my lenses. Permanent marker actually *does* make the optics better OP. Yours for €9995.

Wooo,

Check out about 2/3rds of the way down this page ...
    http://www.leitax.com/leica-lens-for-nikon-cameras.html

Spare Leica red dots ! Only a euro a pop. I'm actually half tempted to buy a pile of them now and bling up all my nikkors :D

I am sure you are all having fun with your in-jokes but I am looking for some serious advice re-photography, can you all go to twatter and have your red dot conversation and leave my thread alone!

Thanks in advance for your co-operation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Well since you're apparently in the position to set yourself up with some serious kit, it might help if you help us point you in the right direction by letting us know what you are interested in photographing.

The recommendations for landscape photography will be different from sports, portraiture etc. Although for 10K, you can probably cover pretty much all the bases :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I am sure you are all having fun with your in-jokes but I am looking for some serious advice re-photography, can you all go to twatter and have your red dot conversation and leave my thread alone!

Thanks in advance for your co-operation!

OP, I know from your other thread regarding cars that you obviously do have money to spend, however as the advice given has said, just because you have 10k doesn't mean you should spend it.

Most beginners looking for a DSLR (professional looking camera) like the Canon 450D or the new 550D (Has HD movie ability). They generally come with a kit lens 18-55mm IS(Image stabilization) and then you can get a zoom lens for as little as €250 for the 55-250mm IS. I have this setup and there is plenty of kit there to take excellent photos. All together in a shop should cost you less than €1200 including a good bag and tripod.

You could jump right in and get a 5D and L series lenses (Professional equipment) but just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should. You'll learn a LOT on the cheaper kit and the pro camera will just have more buttons and features that will just get in your way until you grasp the finer points of aperture, exposure, ISO and metering.

If you really want to spend the rest of the 10K then spend it traveling to nice places to use your new camera.

Best of luck.

NothingMan wrote: »
    OP, I know from your other thread regarding cars that you obviously do have money to spend, however as the advice given has said, just because you have 10k doesn't mean you should spend it.

Most beginners looking for a DSLR (professional looking camera) like the Canon 450D or the new 550D (Has HD movie ability). They generally come with a kit lens 18-55mm IS(Image stabilization) and then you can get a zoom lens for as little as €250 for the 55-250mm IS. I have this setup and there is plenty of kit there to take excellent photos. All together in a shop should cost you less than €1200 including a good bag and tripod.

You could jump right in and get a 5D and L series lenses (Professional equipment) but just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should. You'll learn a LOT on the cheaper kit and the pro camera will just have more buttons and features that will just get in your way until you grasp the finer points of aperture, exposure, ISO and metering.

If you really want to spend the rest of the 10K then spend it traveling to nice places to use your new camera.

Best of luck.

What car was I talking about, I have no recollection of posting about cars, hope I was not sleep posting again....... Using the PC while asleep almost ruined my marrige last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you want to do sports - Canon 1D MkIV and a 400mm f/2.8 lens. That might be closer to €15k than €10k.

dakar wrote: »
    Well since you're apparently in the position to set yourself up with some serious kit, it might help if you help us point you in the right direction by letting us know what you are interested in photographing.

The recommendations for landscape photography will be different from sports, portraiture etc. Although for 10K, you can probably cover pretty much all the bases :)

mmmmm good point, maybe a bit of sport, some hotties of course and maybe some kinda street stuff out and about in the City and when I go to Banus for the summer!

No to landscapes as Jimmy Rabbite might say thats photographic *****ng

Paulw wrote: »
    If you want to do sports - Canon 1D MkIV and a 400mm f/2.8 lens. That might be closer to €15k than €10k.

My mate who used to play for Blackrock in the AIL said that most of the good photographers use Nikon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My mate who used to play for Blackrock in the AIL said that most of the good photographers use Nikon!

The official provider of images to the IRFU, Munster Rugby and Leinster Rugby use Canon.

But, you could go for a Nikon D3 and a 400mm lens either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Leica M9
    Leica 50mm Summicron

You can't get an M9 and a 50mm Noctilux for ten grand, maybe fifteen grand, but you could probably swing the Summilux for ten.

Anyway:

Pentax 645D - €8,000
    Pentax 55mm f/2.8 - €1,000
    Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripod - €500
    Acratech Ultimate ballhead - €200
    Billingham Bag - €300

Total - €10,000

In all honesty though, spending thousands of Euro on your first serious camera would be a huge mistake. One to two thousand Euro should be enough to buy a very nice beginners set up, and it doesn't sound like you'd have much trouble spending more money whey you're ready to upgrade.

You need to consider the kind of photographs you want to take. For general photography you could do a lot worse than a Nikon D90 that costs around €700 and a 35mm f/1.8 lens that costs around €200. If you want to start shooting sports/wildlife/portraiture, you can add a 70-200mm f/2.8 for an additional €2100.

Canon have very similar cameras and lenses for more-or-less the same amount of money, it'd be hard to go wrong with a setup like the one I've suggested.

charybdis wrote: »
    In all honesty though, spending thousands of Euro on your first serious camera would be a huge mistake. One to two thousand Euro should be enough to buy a very nice beginners set up, and it doesn't sound like you'd have much trouble spending more money whey you're ready to upgrade.

You need to consider the kind of photographs you want to take. For general photography you could do a lot worse than a Nikon D90 that costs around €700 and a 35mm f/1.8 lens that costs around €200. If you want to start shooting sports/wildlife/portraiture, you can add a 70-200mm f/2.8 for an additional €2100.

Canon have very similar cameras and lenses for more-or-less the same amount of money, it'd be hard to go wrong with a setup like the one I've suggested.

^ what Charybdis said, saved me some typing :)

Ok here is where I am at the min!

Nikon D700 with a Battery Grip thingy!
    Nikkor 14-24mm F2.8 AF-S G
    Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8 AF-S G VRII
    Nikkor 50mm F1.8 AF-D

Thats should be good for a start, then get a flash later if you recomend that!

Nikkor 50mm F1.8 AF-D

That would be an extremely nice setup, although if you're going to spend that kind of money you should probably go for the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S instead of the f/1.8 AF-D. You could add a Nikon SB900 or two if you're looking for a flash.

charybdis wrote: »
    That would be an extremely nice setup, although if you're going to spend that kind of money you should probably go for the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S. You could add a Nikon SB900 or two if you're looking for a flash.

Will look in to the 1.4 50mm, shallower field of focus right!

Why would I need two flashes if I only have one camera!

• Advertisement

Roysh SouthDublinMan,

If you're looking to drop some serious sponds I toshally recommend the Canon 5DMarkII yeah? It's fan-focking-tastic, it does HD video (for the spare hi-def TV in the guest room) and has a 21MP sensor (like I GIVE a fock?) Make sure you get a big fock-off lens for it or you'll have a tote MARE trying to get some quality pics.

Obviously for such a serious bit of kit you want something stylish that'll A) keep your gear safe when some Howiya in a Starlet rear-ends the Lexus and B) keep the Skobies, Northsiders and the cleaners in Abrakebabra away. Crumpler bags are apparently, like, THE accessory to have, this BESS student I scored in Kieley's said she had the TOTAL hots for some Snapper who had one of those bags.

If you're planning on taking a few photos, you'll probably need a memory card, though the size toshally depends on how many topless hotties you're looking to scope next time you're at the gaff in Biarritz. If you're just looking for something to sling across your pecs while you're on a J1er, don't focking bother with one of those.

Good luck dude, if you're throwing that many sheckells at it you're bound to actually get some serious photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'd seriously consider a Nikon Jacket, Nikon Baseball Hat and some Nikon Deck Shoes to go with the gear too.

Roysh SouthDublinMan,

If you're looking to drop some serious sponds I toshally recommend the Canon 5DMarkII yeah? It's fan-focking-tastic, it does HD video (for the spare hi-def TV in the guest room) and has a 21MP sensor (like I GIVE a fock?) Make sure you get a big fock-off lens for it or you'll have a tote MARE trying to get some quality pics.

Obviously for such a serious bit of kit you want something stylish that'll A) keep your gear safe when some Howiya in a Starlet rear-ends the Lexus and B) keep the Skobies, Northsiders and the cleaners in Abrakebabra away. Crumpler bags are apparently, like, THE accessory to have, this BESS student I scored in Kieley's said she had the TOTAL hots for some Snapper who had one of those bags.

If you're planning on taking a few photos, you'll probably need a memory card, though the size toshally depends on how many topless hotties you're looking to scope next time you're at the gaff in Biarritz. If you're just looking for something to sling across your pecs while you're on a J1er, don't focking bother with one of those.

Good luck dude, if you're throwing that many sheckells at it you're bound to actually get some serious photos.

looks like you have me in a Pigeon Hole there Captain Flaps!

Chip on the shoulder maybe!

Anyway if you had of being paying attention you would have deduced that the Gaf is in Banus not Biarritz, and who goes on a J1er at 33!

Will look in to the 1.4 50mm, shallower field of focus right!

Why would I need two flashes if I only have one camera!

You can wirelessly control multiple flashes, so you can have them set up around what you're shooting or in the room you're shooting in so that you have greater control over the light. No matter how expensive the camera or flash, on-camera head-on flash usually looks pretty awful and unflattering so you'd probably want to avoid using flash in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

...and who goes on a J1er at 33!

Someone with 10K?

Seriously though, most people in here would love to have had 10K to start off with and unless its just me, it does seem a little like you are not taking it seriously.

Read reviews around the advice people have given to get more info and some people might even be prepared to let you try stuff out before you buy

I have a gaf in Biarritz :D

You should also budget in the cost of a website.

sineadw wrote: »
    I have a gaf in Biarritz :D

You should also budget in the cost of a website.

Why would I need a website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

What car was I talking about, I have no recollection of posting about cars, hope I was not sleep posting again....... Using the PC while asleep almost ruined my marrige last year!

Apologies, mistaken identity.

Nikkor 50mm F1.8 AF-D

Sounds excellent, the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 is a superb lens and fills the pretty obvious gap in the above lineup. I'd be inclined to go for it before the 14-24 tbh, as a day to day lens, since you're not into landscapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Well well...........what to do, what to do............rich man wants it all, but hasn't a clue how to use it, and wants advice from us experienced users (who haven't more money than sense) ?!?! :eek :p Seriously tho, and if you are serious, have a little bit of common sense in these recessionary times and structure your thread in a more mature manner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement