Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wow What a Day!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

OP, as you would be a complete beginner, I have to tell you that all the equipment you're thinking of buying isn't aimed at you. It's marketed towards people who actually make their living from photography or experienced enthusiasts.

If you buy all this equipment, you will not suddenly start taking amazing photographs/hanging out with models/earning sh!t loads of money.

My advice to you , is to buy yourself an entry level DSLR for about €500 and save the rest of the €10K. If you decide in a years time that this is what you want to do with your life, go nuts and spend all your money, but forking out that amount of money just because you saw some guy with a shiny gadget and now you want it too is very immature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

No to landscapes as Jimmy Rabbite might say thats photographic *****ng

Coming out with comments like that is only adding fuel to the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

There's plenty of sensible advice given in the thread about getting a good quality entry or mid-level DSLR. In the event that it's not a wind up and the man really wants to spend a shedload of cash, well, it's his money.

In the event it is a wind up, well, I've enjoyed mentally spending his imaginary 10K, so no harm, no foul............ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

looks like you have me in a Pigeon Hole there Captain Flaps!

Chip on the shoulder maybe!

Anyway if you had of being paying attention you would have deduced that the Gaf is in Banus not Biarritz, and who goes on a J1er at 33!

Banus ?

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=banus

Go ahead spend all that $$$ , you won't have a clue how to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

the_monkey wrote: »
    Banus ?

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=banus

Go ahead spend all that $$$ , you won't have a clue how to use it.

You'll find the instruction manual in Banus ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

Camera, Lens, Bag, Flash Tripod!

Would I get much for under 10K

how abou you get a different hobby and give me the 10k, im broke :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I'm fairly surprised at the responses this thread has generated. There have been plenty of threads from first-time posters asking what camera they should buy and people have rushed to their defence when I said something as meagre as suggesting they read the sticky.

Could you imagine someone with the name of a rural area in their username asking a similar question and being subjected to a mock-accented barely-satirical response casting them as a stereotypical ignorant country-man? Or someone with the name of a disadvantaged area in their username asking a similar question and being subjected to sniping comments? If it did happen, I'm sure the mods would intervene quicksharp, or at least a rabble would be roused for their defence.

Even if he's a troll, as has been suggested, you're only feeding him by reacting in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

charybdis wrote: »
    Could you imagine someone with the name of a rural area in their username asking a similar question and being subjected to a mock-accented barely-satirical response casting them as a stereotypical ignorant country-man? Or someone with the name of a disadvantaged area in their username asking a similar question and being subjected to sniping comments? If it did happen, I'm sure the mods would intervene quicksharp, or at least a rabble would be roused for their defence.

I think now in fairness the response has been more about someone spotting a guy in Marlay park with a camera and deciding to spend ten grand on a whim and less about a username. I hadn't even noticed it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Seen as you really don't know what you want other than to spend 10k on something that takes photos of hotties my advice would be to go into your nearest Camera shop and tell them you have 10k to spend. They'll help you find a home for it.

Just don't mention that any form of photography is ****, they might stick the boot in if you strike a nerve!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

SouthDublinMan, this is the guy you should be getting purchasing tips off of...

ken_rockwell.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Arciphel wrote: »
    SouthDublinMan, this is the guy you should be getting purchasing tips off of...

ken_rockwell.jpg

If he's attemping to use that tiny flash with a 300/400mm lens then I'd say no to that! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

If someone went into a car forum and said "I've not taken any driving lessons yet but I've got 80k to spend on a car" it may be met with similar cynicism. I think it's understandable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

"I don't have a pet but I'm thinking of a white siberian tiger"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

elven wrote: »
    If someone went into a car forum and said "I've not taken any driving lessons yet but I've got 80k to spend on a car" it may be met with similar cynicism. I think it's understandable...

It actually does happen in the motors section, from time to time. :eek: Some people just have lots of money to spend, and want to buy big at the start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

elven wrote: »
    i once demoed a pair of speakers in a listening room, where the previous customer had come in to demo a €25,000 power amp, armed with a single corrs CD.

now you may call me a musical snob, but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I put it on par with someone who's learning how to play beginners piano going out and buying a Steinway grand piano (circa €80,000)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

swingking wrote: »
    I put it on par with someone who's learning how to play beginners piano going out and buying a Steinway grand piano (circa €80,000)

I don't get this or any of the above comments..

You must get so annoyed when someone rich buys a big house? All that space surplus to their requirements!

The OP(If not a troll) obviously isn't broke and therfore may as well get the best camera he can, He's going to learn how to use it, And it's cheaper buying the best now( while the euros weak ) instead of buying a d5000/400D then a 7D / D700 and then a 1D MKIV / D3... Selling to upgrade always works out more pricy...

He's asking for camera advice, Not financial advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SouthDublinMan

swingking wrote: »

Surely not, a Steinway is 8 times the price I am willing to pay for a Camera, how many of you ladies have 3 or 4 grand on your ring finger, how many of you guys have spent 30k + on a car when a smaller more economical one would do, who spent over 15k on a wedding that is just a memory, how many of you smoke 20 a day, literally €3094 gone up in smoke per year, I dont smoke or drink, I have a job, a medium sized car and I want to take up photography, thanks for the few bits of advice I recieved!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Surely not, a Steinway is 8 times the price I am willing to pay for a Camera, how many of you ladies have 3 or 4 grand on your ring finger, how many of you guys have spent 30k + on a car when a smaller more economical one would do.

its all relative... 30k on a car... its al bout the bling, yes 8k would do, but 30k means your bout the bling. the same could be said bout spending 10k on a camera, I think the issue on this thread is that everyone here takes photos for the love of photography, not da bling.... playa

thephotoclubblog.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I want to take up photography, thanks for the few bits of advice I recieved!

Some advice that doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet:

Before you choose between Canon and Nikon (or any other brand), go into a camera shop and hold a few different models in your hands. Depending on the size of your hands, some models/brands will just be comfier than others - the buttons and dials will just feel in the right places. Don't go in thinking "I must spend x amount", just find the one that feels comfortable, then work out what lenses you want to go with it - you already have a pretty comprehensive list.

Assume to start with that the accessories (tripod, cases, flash, extra batteries, memory cards) will cost less than a grand. Once you know the price of the body that you like most, you can then spend the rest of the money on lenses and filters.

You won't need to spend €5k on a computer for photo editing - €2k will be more than enough, €800 would get you something perfectly decent. You could manage with something costing €500. Photo editing software will cost around €600 (though there are plenty of cheaper/free options available to start with). Monitor calibration tool will cost about €200.

Realistically you could get everything you'd want (including computer etc) for €6k. I'd start out with that, then as you get more into things you'll have a better idea of what exactly you want, and can pick up more as you go along. If you buy everything you see to start with, you'll just end up with bits of kit that never get used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement