Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Dog To Choose?

Options
  • 23-05-2010 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi, I don't want to come across as one of those brand type dog people but we have recently moved into a rented property were the landlord will only allow small dogs. We decided on either of these three breeds - Lhasa Opso, Maltese or shihtzu.

We are out for a couple of hours in the day but not for too long.

Which in your opinion is the more suitable choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

what about a bichon frise,

bichon_frise-puppy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 SophieX

Hi Grindelwald, yes a Bichon Frise is another one that was mentioned to us. I think we'd be lost without a pet around the house but at the time don't want to vex neighbors or annoy the landlord but from what we've heard and read BF's are quite content and not overly mischievous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm biased, I have a Lhasa Apso so would highly recommend one. But one thing I have noticed is she hates being alone, but them so does our other dog who we got her to be company for.
    A walk before we go out usually means they sleep for few hours, and 3-4 hours seems to be fine.
    The coat is quite high maintenance, you really need to spend 5 or 10 mins a day brushing(easier to keep it from matting than to try to get the matts out), and start young to get them used to it before the hair gets long. I trim mine myself as it was costing €40 a time.
    They are great, very quiet and playful, but also good watchdogs. I was worried a small dog would be yappy but if anything she's a bit quiet, very good natured and although I don't have small kids, I introduced her to my friends 4 yr old and she had so much fun with him. (my 12 yr old was jealous:D)
    One thing I will say is its very easy to spoil a small dog and allow bad behavior because its cute/funny, I was very conscious of this, and tried not to and she has turned out a great little dog.
    Best of luck and I hope you find the perfect dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I've met some nice Lhasas and Shih Tzus but usually I'm not the biggest fan of them, lookswise and personality sometimes. That's just my opinion though. And some of the ones I've been grooming and they've been really matted, so they were a bit snappy, but obviously they were just annoyed. But the Malteses/Bichons I've groomed that were matted, just cried and licked my hand, and were never snappy at all, so I dunno.

Malteses are meant to be lovely (I've only met Maltese crosses, which were really nice) but the cost about €1000. I'd love one myself actually.

Bichons are really really nice too and cost at most about €400. They're brilliant temperaments, are really smart, are small and cute, but need a lot of grooming. But since they're small it's easy enough, just give them a quick brush every couple of days. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 SophieX

Thanks for your feedback guys. The amount of dubious adverts and breeders I've come across in the space of a few hours is frightening. Is 500 Euro a lot to pay for a Bichon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

SophieX wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback guys. The amount of dubious adverts and breeders I've come across in the space of a few hours is frightening. Is 500 Euro a lot to pay for a Bichon?

I think €500 is a lot. I've seen loads for sale that are €400 and are IKC registered and all. I'm looking at Bichons too, and some are even €300-350 but they're not registered. I'd definitely recommend getting a registered one though, because if the breeder didn't bother registering them, then they probably didn't bother taking them to the vet or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

SophieX wrote: »
    Don't concentrate so much on how much it costs but more to how it was breed and raised. Ask the IKC to send you out their breeder directory which will list reputable breeders for any of the breeds you are interested in. Properly breed and raised pups might cost more in the short term but will save you money and heart ache in the long term. A breeder who will health check the parent dogs, feed premium food, keep a clean environment, do all the required vet checks on the pups, register the pups and so and so will look to recoup some of their money back in the price of the pup hence the reason why good pups cost more but like I said they will be worth it long term.

Advertisement