Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europe Wide team of the Season

• 23-05-2010 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭

Whats yours?

Here's mine......

Cesar

Maicon
    Lucio
    Pique
    Evra

Xavi
    Lampard

Schneijder

Messi
    Robben

Rooney

Totally lacking in a midfield ballwinner, but you don't need to win the ball when you'll never give it away.:pac: Milito was a whisker away from getting in ahead of Rooney.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Cesar

Maicon
    Lucio
    Pique
    A.Cole

Cambiasso

Sneijder----Xavi

Messi

Drogba
    Milito

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Lucas!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Purely on CL performance; Cesar; Zanetti, Lucio, Pique, Lahm; Van Bommel, Xavi, Sneijder; Messi, Milito, Robben.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

................Cesar

Suarez...Xavi...Robben...Di Natale

Ronaldo...Messi...Milito...Higuain

Rooney....Drogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Cesar

Dani Alves
    Lucio
    Pique
    Lahm

Xavi
    Lampard

Sneijder

Messi
    Ronaldo

Rooney

I included Ronaldo cos he got 32 goals in 33 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Cesar

Maicon
    Lucio
    Pique
    Zenetti

Cambiasso
    Lampard

Messi
    Robben

Rooney
    Milito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

only watch the english premiership these days tbh. too tricky to find the time to watch more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Cesar

Maicon----Pique
    Lucio
    Lahm

Messi
    Xavi
    Robben

Dzeko
    Ronaldo
    Milito

Drogba was dropped for being such a wuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Oatesy23 wrote: »

Cesar

Maicon----Pique
    Lucio
    Lahm

Messi
    Xavi
    Robben

Dzeko
    Milito

Drogba was dropped for being such a wuss.

You reckon your team is so good you only need 10 players?

Frisbee wrote: »
    You reckon your team is so good you only need 10 players?

I forgot ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Archimedes wrote: »
    ................Cesar

Suarez...Xavi...Robben...Di Natale

Ronaldo...Messi...Milito...Higuain

Rooney....Drogba

I think I see some Maradonna tactics hidden in there!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Reina
    Alves, Pique, Lucio, Riise,
    Fabregas, Xavi
    Sneijder
    Robben, Messi, Rooney

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A lot of people leaving out Ronaldo, which is madness really

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

my viewing is very PL-centric, but i'll give it a go. hopefully i have enough European football knowledge to make this a decent team.

the defence is always a tough one to choose on these; i think the OP has it close to spot on.

Cesar
    Maicon
    Pique
    Lucio
    Cissokho
    Xavi
    Cambiasso
    Robben
    Sneijder
    Messi
    Milito

Manager: José Mourinho

the Inter defence, i felt had to feature quite heavily, if only for some of their performances in the Champions League; particularly Barca away. Lucio, again in particular was outstanding in that tie, as well as the Chelsea tie.

Cesar has looked brilliant any time i've seen him, and looked so assured last night. he has that aura that I sense when i watch Buffon, Casillas and Schemichel in their pomp.

Xavi has no need for explanation. the Xavi-Messi axis can't be left out.

Cambiasso is as disciplined a defensive midfielder as you'll find, and again, has been reliable and impressive every time i've watched him. it's a travesty that he won't be at the World Cup to be honest.

Robben carried much of Bayern's threat, and dragged them through much of the Champions League, and from the bits i've seen of the Bundesliga since January, has been the spark that lead them to the Double.

Messi, i won't explain.

Sneijder has been the attacking catalyst for Inter, and has controlled much of their offensive play. a very underrated player who is finally getting some of the plaudits he's deserved for quite a while.

Milito, 30 goals in all competitions, a perfect striker for Mourinho's system, Inter's matchwinner in the Champions League final; i think he deserves a place.

Mourinho needs no explanation.

Ronaldo could have got in; with 32 goals in 33 games he's more than worthy, but i personally thought it'd been unfair on the likes of Robben and Sneijder who won plenty for, and with, their clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Ronaldo did nowt in the champions league as he was injured for most of the group stage and then Real went out straight away. Surprised that Olic hasnt been mentioned but I suppose his goals vs United and Lyon were due to awful defending.Dzeko?? Owen had more of an impact than he did in europe this year!!

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Ronaldo did nowt in the champions league as he was injured for most of the group stage and then Real went out straight away. Surprised that Olic hasnt been mentioned but I suppose his goals vs United and Lyon were due to awful defending.Dzeko?? Owen had more of an impact than he did in europe this year!!
    I was under the impression it is based on players total form, not just in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

TonyD79 wrote: »

Champions League Top Scorers:

1. Messi (8)
    2. Cristiano Ronaldo/ Ivica Olic (7)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Cesar

Maicon
    Lucio
    Pique
    Zanetti

Cambiasso
    Xavi

Messi
    Robben

Milito
    Ronaldo

Some team.

I was under the impression it is based on players total form, not just in Europe

Me too, my team would be completely different if it was based on champions/europa league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

JPA wrote: »
    Champions League Top Scorers:

1. Messi (8)
    2. Cristiano Ronaldo/ Ivica Olic (7)

Just thought i'd throw in Ronaldo went out in the last 16, while Messi got to the semis and Olic to the final.

Ronaldo>Messi when both are on form IMO, but thats for another topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I didn't particularly just mean in the CL by the way lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Julio Cesar
    Maicon Pique Lucio Evra
    Sneijder Cambiasso Xavi
    Messi Rooney Robben

I know Robben is playing LWF but it is on his naturally footed side but obviously his game is about cutting in, still would be a class team.

Or an alternative not including any of the players above would be:
    Valdes
    Lahm Samuel Puyol Cissokho
    Ronaldo Fabregas Lampard Pedro
    Milito Drogba

First team would be awesome though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Cesar

----Piqué
    Lúcio
    Vermaelen

Cambiasso

Xavi

---Ronaldo---Messi----Robben----

Drogba
    Milito

I couldn't think of a left-back that impressed me much this year so I changed it around a bit.

I think it's been a pretty interesting season in Europe. Exciting title races that went to the final day in England, Spain and Italy with records broken in Spain and England; a few upsets in the CL; new champions in Turkey and Holland; a good race in France as well and a more interesting UEFA Cup for once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Cesar

Maicon
    Lucio--Samuel---Zanetti

Cambiasso

Xavi
    Sneijder----

Messi
    Robben

Drogba

Subs:

Cris
    J.navas
    Rooney
    Ronaldo
    Fabregas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I couldn't think of a left-back that impressed me much this year so I changed it around a bit.

Really? Evra, A. Cole and Zanetti didn't impress you much :eek:

Liam O wrote: »
    Really? Evra, A. Cole and Zanetti didn't impress you much :eek:
    I didn't see enough of Evra or Zanetti (isn't he a right back anyway?) to really comment.

A. Cole didn't impress me as much as the others I mentioned. He was solid this year, I'll give him that.

I didn't see enough of Evra or Zanetti (isn't he a right back anyway?) to really comment.

A. Cole didn't impress me as much as the others I mentioned. He was solid this year, I'll give him that.

Yeah A.Cole is pretty average going forward, there is far better attacking full backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

cole was class this season imo, his best since joining Chelsea.

Cole was unreal this season, I'd have chosen him only Evra was just as good but had no major injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Some people here wouldn't piss on Rooney if he was on fire. I get that.

The facts are simple, had he stayed fit, United would very likely have a Premier/Champions league double. It'll be denied, but quite simply, after he turned his ankle at the end of the Bayern first leg match, United's performances dipped at a crucial point in the season, and had they not.... The Double*.

When one of the best teams in europe are effectively playing as a one man team, and that player doesn't even get on your team, then fair enough, you can have first pick -- my team will beat yours.

* (Possibility we'd have lost to Inter in the final, but the point is no less diminished -- and we'd have been slam-dunk favourites)

davyjose wrote: »
    Some people here wouldn't piss on Rooney if he was on fire. I get that.

The facts are simple, had he stayed fit, United would very likely have a Premier/Champions league double. It'll be denied, but quite simply, after he turned his ankle at the end of the Bayern first leg match, United's performances dipped at a crucial point in the season, and had they not.... The Double*.

When one of the best teams in europe are effectively playing as a one man team, and that player doesn't even get on your team, then fair enough, you can have first pick -- my team will beat yours.

* (Possibility we'd have lost to Inter in the final, but the point is no less diminished -- and we'd have been slam-dunk favourites)

Yeah and Chelsea would have wrapped the league up in April if Essien had been fit.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah and Chelsea would have wrapped the league up in April if Essien had been fit.

You're only allowed derail a thread on this forum if you engage in Liverpool/United mickey waving, Chelsea aren't allowed.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

And Chelsea would be trying to make 4th or 3rd in the league without Abramovich...

You can see where this is going.

Osu wrote: »
    And Chelsea would be trying to make 4th or 3rd in the league without Abramovich...

You can see where this is going.

Sarcasm is hard to detect in text, next time I'll add an appropriate smiley :pac:

First thing that popped into my head too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Cesar
    Maicon, Lucio, Piqué, Lahm
    Sneider, van Bommel, Robben
    Messi
    Olic, Milito

It's not a United/Chelsea thing. I'm absolutely certain Chelsea deserved the league. I just can't comprehend anyone, who knows anything about football, would keep Rooney off their team, unless they are biased.

it's so ridiculous I'm compelled to comment.

It's not a United/Chelsea thing. I'm absolutely certain Chelsea deserved the league. I just can't comprehend anyone, who knows anything about football, would keep Rooney off their team, unless they are biased.

Ah sure he's just a fat Francis Jeffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'd have Drogba ahead of Rooney to be honest but Rooney has had an excellent season. Bit of a stretch to call United a one man team though.

II just can't comprehend anyone, who knows anything about football, would keep Rooney off their team, unless they are biased.

Messi is automatically ahead of him.

Ronaldo and Drogba arguably had just as good, if not better, seasons.

Far from ridiculous leaving him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ah sure he's just a fat Francis Jeffers.

Sure he's just like Kuyt right?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch to call United a one man team though.

It's ridiculously close to the truth. We're not without some very good players, but we are not even near the level of Chelsea/Barca/Inter etc without him. We're just not. It's tangibly obvious.

I'm not happy about this either, but with Rooney, we may well have had one of our best seasons ever.And without him, we were savagely ordinary.

One man team - unfair; world class team without him - untrue!!!

I wouldn't consider any "one-man team" (your words, not mine) one of the better teams in Europe. Consequently, I wouldn't consider Man U a one-man team.

Once Man U lost Rooney, they were in trouble. They also had spells without Ferdinand and Vidic, iirc. Chelsea lost Drogba in January but still kept plugging away. Not to mention the absence of Essien in the second-half of the sseason and J. Cole for a lot of it too.

Chelsea coped with their big losses this season, Man U didn't as well. In my eyes, that makes Chelsea the better team (just about).

Rooney had a great season and it's not his fault injury ended it early for him (it's Ferguson's fault). However, I'd still take Drogba over him any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

It's ridiculously close to the truth. We're not without some very good players, but we are not even near the level of Chelsea/Barca/Inter etc without him. We're just not. It's tangibly obvious.

I'm not happy about this either, but with Rooney, we may well have had one of our best seasons ever.And without him, we were savagely ordinary.

One man team - unfair; world class team without him - untrue!!!

I don't disagree with anything you say but he has been heavily reliant on the service to him which has been excellent at times. He's not really scored brilliant individual goals the likes of which Ronaldo and Messi have scored throughout the season and i can't recall the last time he has scored from outside the box.

Ronaldo and Messi are ahead of him as far as i'm concerned and Drogba has outscored him as well as notching up a shedload of assists. Doesn't take penalties either.

I can't put Rooney ahead of Drogba simply because he plays for a weaker side. If that's the case i'd have D Bent over Rooney.

Rooney had a great season and it's not his fault injury ended it early for him (it's Ferguson's fault).
    this is something i find quite strange that United fans weren't more pissed off about. Fergusons ridiculous gamble against Munich backfired big time imo.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    this is something i find quite strange that United fans weren't more pissed off about. Fergusons ridiculous gamble against Munich backfired big time imo.
    Because only Benitez makes those sort of errors

Wasn't it a totally unrelated groin injury that kept him out of the last few games of the season? He'd recovered from the foot injury after the Blackburn game, AFAIR. I might be wrong though.

Either way Fergie doesn't make mistakes.

Ever.

Fergusons ridiculous gamble against Munich backfired big time imo.
    Definitely.

By the fuss he made about Rooney, he inevitably drew attention to the not fully-healed injury and then he bitched when Bayern went in hard on Rooney.

It's his own fault. It wouldn't surprised me if Van Gaal told his players to deliberately go in hard on Rooney and force him off. And, imo, that's Ferguson's fault for making such a big deal about the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

flahavaj wrote: »
    Wasn't it a totally unrelated groin injury that kept him out of the last few games of the season? He'd recovered from the foot injury after the Blackburn game, AFAIR. I might be wrong though.

Either way Fergie doesn't make mistakes.

Ever.

Running crippled coz your ankle is fecked could give you a groin injury. Try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

biased?

no, i'm not biased. i left him out because i went with

Xavi
    Cambiasso
    Robben
    Sneijder
    Messi
    Milito

as a front 6.

now, Rooney is probably a better player than Milito. but i just felt compelled to include a man who scored 30 goals for a Treble-winning Inter side.

then i have Robben (dragged Bayern to the CL final, as well as sparking their domestic success from Jan), Sneijder who is Inter's creative fulcrum, and Messi, who, well, he's Messi.

and Rooney and Drogba would be a toss-up anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement