Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europe Wide team of the Season

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he missed the blackburn game cause he was rushed back against bayern. i think most united fans agree that the blackburn game is the one where you's lost the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

JPA wrote: »
    Running crippled coz your ankle is fecked could give you a groin injury. Try it!

Lots of things could do that.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Definitely.

By the fuss he made about Rooney, he inevitably drew attention to the not fully-healed injury and then he bitched when Bayern went in hard on Rooney.

It's his own fault. It wouldn't surprised me if Van Gaal told his players to deliberately go in hard on Rooney and force him off. And, imo, that's Ferguson's fault for making such a big deal about the whole thing.

Van Gaal isn't the type of coach that would tell his players to target particular players, but when you have players like Van Bommel you don't need to.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he missed the blackburn game cause he was rushed back against bayern. i think most united fans agree that the blackburn game is the one where you's lost the title.

Losing at home to Chelsea, and dropping six points to them over the season was the real killer tbh.

He might have missed the Blackburn game either way, you or anyone else have no way of knowing tbh.

the bayern players were dead right to go in hard on rooney. they wouldn't even need to have been told that by the manager.

the bayern players were dead right to go in hard on rooney. they wouldn't even need to have been told that by the manager.

Course they were, they'd have been stupid not to.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Losing at home to Chelsea, and dropping six points to them over the season was the real killer tbh.

He might have missed the Blackburn game either way, you or anyone else have no way of knowing tbh.
    Chelsea beat yous home and away cause they're a better side. Not much could be done about that-but the blackburn is different. Risking Rooney against Munich when you have a 32m player on the bench, and then leaving him on for ages even after he aggrievated his injury assured rooney wouldn't be playing against blackburn. As has also been said, the subsequent injury he picked up was most likely somehow related to his first one. this is not a hindsight being 20/20 thing, people including myself said Ferguson was taking a ridiculous gamble before the munich match even kicked off.

Chelsea beat you's home and away cause they're a better side. Risking Rooney against Munich when you have a 32m player on the bench, and them leaving him on even after he aggrievated his injury assured rooney wouldn't be playing against blackburn. As has also been said, the subsequent injury he picked up was most likely somehow related to his first one. this is not a hindsight being 20/20 thing, people including myself said Ferguson was taking a ridiculous gamble before the munich match even kicked off.

Chelsea are a better side, but not sure why thats particularly releveant here?

I don't have any problem with him starting the game tbh, it was justified by the start they made. I don't think they'd have played with that pace and tempo with Berba playing up there tbh. I do think he should've been taken off a lot earlier, at the first sign of the foot being at him again. If United had defended properly we wouldn't even be having this conversation and everyone would probably be praising Fergie's ballsy decision.

As for teh Blackburn game, again for all you know he might not have played either way. And as fair as I know theres no proof to suggest the groin injury was related to his foot. It may well have been, but I certainly haven't heard anything concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

flahavaj wrote: »
    Chelsea are a better side, but not sure why thats particularly releveant here?

It's relevant, but not for the reason put forth: Chelsea would still have pushed for the league without Drogba; United would have barely taken fourth without Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I have no idea how anyone has Lucio in ahead of Samuel.

The Wall had been inters most important defender this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Seaneh wrote: »

This.

Samuel has probably been the best defender in Europe this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Given

Maicon
    Lucio
    King
    Evra

Cambiasso
    Xavi

Messi
    Robben

Milito
    Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Given?! You have got to be shitting me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I didn't see enough of Evra or Zanetti (isn't he a right back anyway?) to really comment.

A. Cole didn't impress me as much as the others I mentioned. He was solid this year, I'll give him that.

Left or right. But he hasnt played much on the right since Maicon moved there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Given?! You have got to be shitting me

Yup i thought he did quite well this season tbh plus its no harm having one of our own in a team of the season, i think he deserves it.

Whos your 'tots' or have you posted it already?

• Advertisement

Yup i thought he did quite well this season tbh plus its no harm having one of our own in a team of the season, i think he deserves it.

So he got in because he's Irish basically.

I watched 36 out if City's 38 league games his season and he was averse at best. His reluctance to budge from his line cost us a goal on more than one occassion and it didn't do his defenders any favour at all.

I love Given as much as the next man but he was a let down this year and didn't deserve to be in any team of the year.
    Whos your 'tots' or have you posted it already?

Julio Cesar

Maicon
    Samuel
    Piqué
    Cole

Cambiasso
    Xavi
    Sneijder

Messi
    Robben
    Drogba

I watched 36 out if City's 38 league games his season and he was averse at best. His reluctance to budge from his line cost us a goal on more than one occassion and it didn't do his defenders any favour at all.

I love Given as much as the next man but he was a let down this year and didn't deserve to be in any team of the year.

No im going by the saves he has made and other parts of his game this season like good kick outs that put defenses under pressure over the season, the fact he is Irish swayed me from what ive seen of Ceasar hes been pretty good too

Julio Cesar

Maicon
    Samuel
    Piqué
    Cole

Cambiasso
    Xavi
    Sneijder

Messi
    Robben
    Drogba

Good choices but i cant see why anyone would leave out Ronaldo, he has been pure class this season, and recovered well from his injury earlier in the year too.

Ronaldo this season: Spanish League: 29 appearences 26 goals CL 6 appearances 7 Goals

Also just throwing this out there, but Julio Cesar is a quality keeper but this year the keeper of the year in Serie A was Roma's Julio Sergio. After him, it'd probably be Storari, but he only had half a season (the second half), but what a half a season he had. Amazing for samp and probably the main reason they are in the champions league next season.

Cesar had some terrible terrible games this year and I thought it was his personal worst season since he got the starting sport at Inter.

Given's shot stopping is unquestionably superb, but his distribution has been of the big things to have irked City fans in his performances. You wouldn't believe the amount of threads/posts on that over on the big City forums.

Ronaldo had a superb year alright, but I went with Robben all things considered. A bench including Rooney, Ronaldo, Milito and Zanetti amongst others would be sweet as well.

Given's shot stopping is unquestionably superb, but his distribution has been of the big things to have irked City fans in his performances. You wouldn't believe the amount of threads/posts on that over on the big City forums.

Ronaldo had a superb year alright, but I went with Robben all things considered. A bench including Rooney, Ronaldo, Milito and Zanetti amongst others would be sweet as well.

That's funny and ive seen other people say that about Givens distributions too but when i seen him play ive always though he had a very good kick out esp out of his hand, he gives the striker a good chance to get the ball, but your probably right as i haven't seen even close to 36 of Man Citys games, but seen most of the highlights of the games where it doesnt show Givens kick outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

That's funny and ive seen other people say that about Givens distributions too but when i seen him play ive always though he had a very good kick out esp out of his hand, he gives the striker a good chance to get the ball, but your probably right as i haven't seen even close to 36 of Man Citys games, but seen most of the highlights of the games where it doesnt show Givens kick outs.

Do you think he was even the best keeper in England last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This just annoys me so much.

Why does everbody think that Blackburn are such a soft touch?

Chelsea, United and Liverpool drew with us at Ewood, Arsenal lost to us.

United certainly didn't lose the title there as they got the same points as Chelsea who drew with us 3 weeks prior to the United game. There was no advantage gained by either of them against us. United lost the title when they were beaten at Old Trafford by Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Valdes
    Maicon--Lucio--Pique--A.Cole
    Cambiasso

Xavi
    Schweinsteiger
    Messi
    Malouda
    Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Seaneh wrote: »

from a personal standpoint, i didn't see enough of Inter to comment on the whole season.

but i felt i should really choose an Inter central defender, and in the big games of theirs i watched (the Chelsea and Barca ties, as well as the odd couple of Serie A matches), Lucio was the more impressive.

Its very hard to pick just one team. Was going through it and I noticed that the only certainties for me would be Xavi, Lampard, Messi and Ronaldo. Like Cech, Dani Alves, Marcelo, Zanetti, Lucio, Cambiasso, Sneijder, Alonso, Rooney, Higuain and Millito could all be in there. Fabregas too if he hadn't missed so many games, same with Vidic, Ashley Cole and Robben.

Julio Cesar

Maicon
    Puyol
    Samuel
    Lahm

Fletcher
    Lampard

Xavi

Messi
    Drogba
    Ronaldo

davyjose wrote: »
    It's relevant, but not for the reason put forth: Chelsea would still have pushed for the league without Drogba; United would have barely taken fourth without Rooney.
    I think you really underestimate the influence Drogba had this season. The stats show it too, top scorer in the Premier League and fourth in assists too.

Its very hard to leave Rooney out of a team but when you have Ronaldo on one side and Messi on the other, you want a guy who can play them in as well as score himself.

Honestly if I was asked who the four best in European football were it would be Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi and Rooney who would come to mind immediately but if you asked me who the top four strikers were Rooney would not be top of the list. He is a marvelous all around footballer but even though he had a great scoring season I'd still rather depend on Drogba, Higuain or Millito to slot them home.

Julio Sergio

Maicon - King - Samuel - Zanetti

Xavi - Cambiasso

Sneijder

Messi - Milito - Ronaldo

I have to laugh at people putting Ledley King in their teams, he only played 20 games in the Premier League, 19 starts and one as a sub.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I have to laugh at people putting Ledley King in their teams, he only played 20 games in the Premier League, 19 starts and one as a sub.

TBH, I barely watched any English football this season but I figured I had to have at least one EPL player in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cech

Maicon - Pique - Lucio - Lahm

Lampard - Xavi - Sneijder

Messi - Drogba - Rooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am curious, as a City fan, how you feel about your defense? In particular, how many goals you reckon they cost you this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I don't really get the inclusion of pique in a lot of the teams. Surely Samuel or even Puyol would be a better choice. Samuel has been epic for inter this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I think you really underestimate the influence Drogba had this season. The stats show it too, top scorer in the Premier League and fourth in assists too.

Its very hard to leave Rooney out of a team but when you have Ronaldo on one side and Messi on the other, you want a guy who can play them in as well as score himself.

Honestly if I was asked who the four best in European football were it would be Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi and Rooney who would come to mind immediately but if you asked me who the top four strikers were Rooney would not be top of the list. He is a marvelous all around footballer but even though he had a great scoring season I'd still rather depend on Drogba, Higuain or Millito to slot them home.

That's about the best answer to my question, eagle eye. It's a very fair comment. Personally I look at it the other way round, I have nothing but admiration for Drogba, Milito, but when I see rooney play, i see that the whole half of the pitch he plays in comes alive. He isn't top in any one category, an attacking player might be judged in, but when you add them all up, he's top 2 or 3 in every one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Archimedes wrote: »
    ................Cesar

Suarez...Xavi...Robben...Di Natale

Ronaldo...Messi...Milito...Higuain

Rooney....Drogba

Great team, wouldn't be very good in defence though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yes its laughable but you have fletcher in your team :o and you left out lucio who has been head and shoulders above every other defender in europe this season

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lucio who has been head and shoulders above every other defender in europe this season

Except Nesta, Samuel and Juan who have all been better than him in Serie A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cesar

Maicon
    Lucio
    Zanetti

Xavi
    Sneijder

Robben
    Ronaldo---

Messi
    Drogba
    Rooney

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yes its laughable but you have fletcher in your team :o and you left out lucio who has been head and shoulders above every other defender in europe this season
    Fletcher has been awesome this season for United in midfield. The reason he doesn't get the plaudits the others do is he doesn't play for an international powerhouse.

As for Lucio, you must be blind in one eye as his partner in defense has been the revelation among European football centre backs this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Reina

Maicon
    Lucio
    Pique
    A. Cole

Xavi
    Mascherano

Messi
    Snedjer
    Ronaldo---

Torres
    Rooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

slingerz wrote: »

Reina

Maicon
    Lucio
    Pique
    A. Cole

Xavi
    Mascherano

Messi
    Snedjer
    Ronaldo---

Torres
    Rooney

i love Liverpool.

but we should not have 3 players in the Europe-wide team of the year.

that is an entertainingly biased team.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Biased but balanced I guess :P

Torres' goal record this season was extremely impressive given how many mins he played.

noodler wrote: »
    I am curious, as a City fan, how you feel about your defense? In particular, how many goals you reckon they cost you this season?

It was an average year defensively. We had some superb games, particularly around January, but also some shockers. Kompany was the standout performer and I think himself and Lescott would have been, and still could be, a top 4 pairing. IMO Toure is the weak link and shouldn't be near the team.

What I think you're getting at is that the defence are equally, if not more, to blame than Given (if I'm wrong please correct me), but I wouldn't have any of them in the Team of the Year either.

Advertisement