Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was unfit, now cycling two week and hit a fitness wall ....

• 23-05-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Ive been doing 12K cycles through hilly conditions every 2 days and really pushing my self.

Im sleeping more and today I feel really shook and taking it easy.
    Is a two week wall normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

not to be cruel, but if you're training two weeks, then you're still unfit!

So I wouldn't be too put off if you're in need of a rest. Fitness only comes when the body recovers from the stress you've put it under and adapts. Sounds like you need a little recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

uberwolf wrote: »
    not to be cruel, but if you're training two weeks, then you're still unfit!

So I wouldn't be too put off if you're in need of a rest. Fitness only comes when the body recovers from the stress you've put it under and adapts. Sounds like you need a little recovery.

Thanks, Will chill for 24 - 48 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Keep at it and rest periodically. Don't up the weekly mileage too much, 10% is recommended. It is generally considered that your body adjusts itself during the rest period so this really is key.

blorg wrote: »
    Keep at it and rest periodically. Don't up the weekly mileage too much, 10% is recommended. It is generally considered that your body adjusts itself during the rest period so this really is key.

Thanks. Wont do two days in a row anymore til I get fittter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Exercise wears you down, it's the rest in between that makes you fitter and stronger. Give your body time to recover. You could try a three day rotation, day one you push yourself hard, day two go for a relaxing cycle to loosen the muscles up, day three take a rest. You can even ad a second rest day for the first while.

• Advertisement

djk1000 wrote: »
    Exercise wears you down, it's the rest in between that makes you fitter and stronger. Give your body time to recover. You could try a three day rotation, day one you push yourself hard, day two go for a relaxing cycle to loosen the muscles up, day three take a rest. You can even ad a second rest day for the first while.

That makes sence. I was trying to get on a good momentum but clearly was over doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 barrym91

worded wrote: »
    That makes sence. I was trying to get on a good momentum but clearly was over doing it.

Started training about two months ago worded and same thing happened to me. Don't be put off. Just listen to your body. You will get much better at being able to predict how it will respond to certain conditions and cycles and when it needs a rest. Take it easy!

I got very lazy over the last few years. I drift from being very fit to big lapses of binge drinking / biker chics. God this has been a five year break .. :-(

Cycling reminds me of very happy times. The joy of open spaces and music.
    Its great getting my energy back and bombing along.

Happy days .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think the key thing is consistency. Work out what you can do and do it, rest, then up it 10%. If you can apply yourself to this you will be a cyclist in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'd also say to make sure your diet is ok. If you aren't fueling your body properly then any sort of physical exercise will just wear you down completely. Check this sticky for the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Just don't give up the biker chicks altogether. The exercise boffins here might allow you one on a rest day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the most crushing thing when you overdo it is that you (or at least I do anyway) inevitably get a cold which knocks you off the bike for 4-5 days and puts the brakes on any hard riding for about 2 weeks, which completely demoralises you.

Listen to your body more than your head. Even if it's been 3 days since your last spin, if your legs feel tired, take it easy.

Just don't give up the biker chicks altogether. The exercise boffins here might allow you one on a rest day. :)

Theres a bit jealous about all the attention the bike is getting I think, I will reassure them on the next rest day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

seamus wrote: »
    I think the most crushing thing when you overdo it is that you (or at least I do anyway) inevitably get a cold which knocks you off the bike for 4-5 days and puts the brakes on any hard riding for about 2 weeks, which completely demoralises you....

That is so me. I don't learn, so keep doing it so I never get consistency going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

you need about a month before you start noticing any sort of improvement get down to your local pool aswell and do some lenghts, its great for improving cardiovascular output and great for the aching muscles, increase distance every week by 10% on the bike.

trust me it actually gets easier, keep at it:)

biomed32 wrote: »
    you need about a month before you start noticing any sort of improvement get down to your local pool aswell and do some lenghts, its great for improving cardiovascular output and great for the aching muscles, increase distance every week by 10% on the bike.

Will do.

Cycling uphill through a wooded area with lungs burning from breathing hard through pine needle filtered air, feels good. Beats a gym any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Will do.

Cycling uphill through a wooded area with lungs burning from breathing hard through pine needle filtered air, feels good. Beats a gym any day.

I'll buy what you're selling!

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

biomed32 wrote: »

In my case it was almost 2 so don't be disheartened it does get easier. I thought it never would but it does :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I cycled 90km on the day I started up cycling again.
    I do not recommend this to anyone as my legs seized up completely and I couldnt even sit down properly because of my bruised ass.

Start slow, have rest days then gradually increase.
    Once you can do about 40km without stopping then start on sportives. Do your first two at the minimum or medium distance available then switch to the long distances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

When I started cycling on a road bike .. i used to cycle 12km, come back and called it an epic, then I started cycling with the girls from my then new club. My 1st 37KM knocked me out for the afternoon. I was in bed by 7PM. That was in 2007, not so long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I went for a 20km spin with a mate who has always cycled (but def a pob) who is 5 years younger and much much fitter than I. I was on my hack, he on his €1K cycle to work mtb, we did some road/trail and I dusted him to an extent that I was fed up waiting for him and dropped him with 3km to go, I reckon I landed back a good 8mins before him and he was stunned at being dropped on the hills, past on the descents and unable able to talk on the flat. He picked the route and to an extent the pace.

Moral of the story is cycling to the shop for milk and bread has little in common with becoming a cyclist (definition of which is for another thread). I read here a few years ago that it takes approx two years to develop the cycling muscles to be comfortable at long distance. While looking back at this now I do agree but withing one season you will be amazed at your improvement. Make sure you pick a sportive you want to cycle in and do it. You will shock yourself and how far you have come. Keep it up:D

Make sure you pick a sportive you want to cycle in and do it.

Whats a sportive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whats a sportive?

It's where you pay to ride your bike on public roads in exchange for a crappy t-shirt and some sandwiches you'd never pay money for.

Lumen wrote: »
    It's where you pay to ride your bike on public roads in exchange for a crappy t-shirt and some sandwiches you'd never pay money for.

Oooooh posh "front of the pack" boy. Saaaaandwiches ... Oooooh.

The only sportive I ever got food in was the Sean Kelly. All the others had run out by the time I got there.

Lumen wrote: »

Like so

http://www.ironmate.co.uk/Training-for-a-Cycling-Sportive.htm

I live on the east coast, but this looks good on the west coast.....

Its the red line on the map.

http://www.etapehibernia.com/coursemaps.html

Its all the lines on the map. Got that one in mind already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you ready fro 82 miles worded ?
    ;) but you do get closed roads for that (and are suppsoed to do it in 6hrs 15 mins)

did they drop the price from when it was first announced ? at 54 euro i could be tempted

you ready fro 82 miles worded ?;) but you do get closed roads for that (and are suppsoed to do it in 6hrs 15 mins)

did they drop the price from when it was first announced ? at 54 euro i could be tempted

The warm up from Dublin might prove to be a bit trying.

The costal bit could be amazing, a tail wind would be best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement