Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are european release dates so late?

Options
  • 23-05-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

why is it that europe get most games so late? red dead redemption was out 3 days earlier in america and gears of war 3 is 3 days later here also. i think thats unfair to european gamers. even the japanese get these games earlier and they are further away from america. i think something should be done and we should just have worldwide release dates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

With the odd exception , our game get released on a Friday in time for the weekend which makes sense doesn't it , in the US they are released on the odd day of Tuesday :confused:

It still isn't as bad as it used to be often we waited several months for a game after it's US release. Remember Ghostbusters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It used to be that most games had to be converted from NTSC to PAL which took a lot of work although most companies didn't bother and left us europeans with dreadful PAL conversions. The other reason is that the game has to be translated into a rake of different languages which takes a while depending on the game. In this day and age usually there sin't much of a delay unless it's a niche game with a small market or the company in question are arseholes that don't care about europe (Sony, Squaresoft are two examples). Usually the script is translated and voice work in different languages as the game is being completed for big releases

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

calex71 wrote: »
    With the odd exception , our game get released on a Friday in time for the weekend which makes sense doesn't it , in the US they are released on the odd day of Tuesday :confused:

It still isn't as bad as it used to be often we waited several months for a game after it's US release. Remember Ghostbusters.
    still though its gonna kill me with gears 3. 60% of my freinds will be playing it on tuesday and i have to wait untill friday, very unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some huge games are released simultaneously worldwide. Lost Planet 2 and GTA4, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I reckon Tuesday chosen as the normal release date for games has to do with it being the quietest day of the week in terms of retail earnings. Who goes shopping on a Tuesday? But, if you have to go in to get a new game just released, chances are you might pick up other items along the way. Where as, end of the week/weekends are the most profitable time anyway.

That would be my guess!

• Advertisement

the point im making though is i want gears 3 when it comes out not when it comes out here (if that makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It's a three day difference not a three month difference just suck it up and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Wow three days! That must seem like an eternity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Actually release dates arent as bad as in the bad old days of the Mega drive/Snes days when i was growing up. But I never understood Nintendo's constant long delay for the European market, even to this day.

still though. fu****g americans

• Advertisement

If Gears 3 is all you are worried about then you have a lot of sleepless nights until next april :D

Besides a big game like that will likely have a same day global release, In which case we will actually get it first with timezones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

We got Alan Wake a week earlier than they did. It released the same day as Red Dead over there. It's not that bad really, compared to Australia.

rizzla wrote: »
    It's not that bad really, compared to Australia.

Yeah poor bastards and the price of games there too :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

If there's one thing I'm thankful for is that we Irish speak English. Could you imagine how many games would be translated into Irish, seeing as though we would be the only country that speaks it!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

still though its gonna kill me with gears 3. 60% of my freinds will be playing it on tuesday and i have to wait untill friday, very unfair

gears 3 is a worldwide simu-release

Reckoner91 wrote: »
    If there's one thing I'm thankful for is that we Irish speak English. Could you imagine how many games would be translated into Irish, seeing as though we would be the only country that speaks it!?

the mgs localisation offices are in ireland actually, so you never know lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I kinda prefer getting games on a Friday, it means I can easily shut out the world and play!

Helix wrote: »

Became aware of that little fact when the credits rolled at the end of Alan Wake, lucky so and so's

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Because pirates need all the help they can get.. No wait that can't be right. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Helix wrote: »

seriously?:eek: lol

• Advertisement

seraphimvc wrote: »
    seriously?:eek: lol

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Most games but not all.

STALKER releases start in Russia, then a month later Europe, than America 2 months later (from what I remember).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Also, anyone know there were Activision offices in town? And, of course, Havok is an irish-bred company. Why doesn't Ireland have a game development company by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Activison office in town is split between Demonware and Activision QA.

Havok, like Demonware, is also a middleware company.

The reason there is no large game development studios over here is unfortunately due to the lack of experienced developers in the country. You may have noticed David O'Meara from Havok speaking about this awhile back. Here's a link to the article in question. Since then other companies such as Intel and Microsoft have said similar things, albeit for slightly different markets.

Things will change over time but in the near future I don't think we're going to see any AAA development being done over here. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'm sure the people here who have lived long enough to remember even ten years ago contemporarily will have had a quiet chuckle at the idea that 3 days is 'so late', not even mentioning the endearingly simple idea from the OP that it had anything to do with the 'distance from America' or that it was the 'f***ing Americans' somehow slighting us. Likewise, a huge amount of games are not made in the US nor are they even released there first.

The fact is Tuesday is the traditional game release day in the US; in Ireland and the UK it's Friday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    The reason there is no large game development studios over here is unfortunately due to the lack of experienced developers in the country. You may have noticed David O'Meara from Havok speaking about this awhile back. Here's a link to the article in question. Since then other companies such as Intel and Microsoft have said similar things, albeit for slightly different markets.

It's actually also a lot to do with the lack of tax breaks for development companies in Ireland. Canada has a system of tax breaks for them and has probably the largest amount of games development of any western company and Britain should be brining in a similar system. It would be a great way of creating more jobs and reducing the deficit in ireland but the politicians here are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's actually also a lot to do with the lack of tax breaks for development companies in Ireland. Canada has a system of tax breaks for them and has probably the largest amount of games development of any western company and Britain should be brining in a similar system. It would be a great way of creating more jobs and reducing the deficit in ireland but the politicians here are idiots.
    That's certainly a factor but not the factor unfortunately. The Canadian tax breaks are a relatively new draw factor to the country and long before them there was a thriving games industry in the UK which never spilled over here, quite simply for the reasons I outlined above.

Now, should the situation change (which it is in the process of doing I should add) then the tax breaks will certainly be required in order to guarantee investment from outside publishers but in the meantime, until there is a significant pool of talent at home, we're going to be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gotta say I think European release dates are great nowadays. The longest you're usually waiting on a major release is a week and it's a far cry from the 16bit and 32bit days when you could be waiting anything up to a year for localisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Apart from, err, the US?

Canada has in many ways done a great job in punching above its weight in the games industry, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd presume the 3 day delay is to do with distributing over Europe being harder to distribute than America.

Advertisement