Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep your eyes open for those bikes

• 23-05-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i just had a near miss with a fast moving bike..
    Waited to pull out, a bike passed, i check with a turn of the head out the window nothing coming, pulled out shot up to 60 next thing i know a bike with zeion lights is sitting on my bumper, had no idea where he came from, he promptly overtook me sticking close to the car just as a little F you gesture and then overtook the other bike and disappeared...

The two things i reckon cause me not to see him were the zeion lights and he was coming from the west (sun behind him) not making excuses i should have seen him,
    But i just wanted to put it fresh in peoples minds to always look for bikes especially on nice days like today (beautiful day for a cruise, what i'd give to have a bike today:()

Given the good weather today i've met 12 bikes all out for a nice cruise, all nice people, salute every time i let them pass, maybe the biker that overtook me was having a bad day, it's actually the first time i've encountered a "dodgy" biker.

Regards Shane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What Movie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Ha thats the third time i've done that... Movie is ment to be moving
    woops :rolleyes:

Fixed now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Rule of thumb:

- If you see one bike, expect at least one more.

We ride in 'packs'.

Ya i (try to) use that rule, I say he was a lone wolf as he rapidly disappeared from both my view and the other bikes view..

Ah nothing like 3+ bikes riding together, quite a nice sight. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Three Wheelers are getting alot more common in Ireland, bikers are splashing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Saw a guy on a fairly large bike (looked like a Triumph) get creamed yesterday on the South Douglas Road. He was heading SE & a Ford Ka comin from the other direction decided to cut across his lane, the speed limit is 50Km/h on this road & there was nothing to suggest either party were speeding. Anyway the bike went straight into the front of the Ka, making mince meat of the Ka, the bike ended up 30 feet away under a Renault Clio, the biker ended up 60 feet away with his helmet 10 feet away again. He looked like he was in bits, blood all over his head, legs looked broken too. There were a lot of people around him trying to help.
    It definitely put me off any notion of getting a bike. If that's what a Ford Ka in the suburbs can do imagine a truck on an N route?

From what i could see the biker had done nothing wrong, someone else's stupidity nearly killed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Saw a guy on a fairly large bike (looked like a Triumph) get creamed yesterday on the South Douglas Road. He was heading SE & a Ford Ka comin from the other direction decided to cut across his lane, the speed limit is 50Km/h on this road & there was nothing to suggest either party were speeding. Anyway the bike went straight into the front of the Ka, making mince meat of the Ka, the bike ended up 30 feet away under a Renault Clio, the biker ended up 60 feet away with his helmet 10 feet away again. He looked like he was in bits, blood all over his head, legs looked broken too. There were a lot of people around him trying to help.
    It definitely put me off any notion of getting a bike. If that's what a Ford Ka in the suburbs can do imagine a truck on an N route?

From what i could see the biker had done nothing wrong, someone else's stupidity nearly killed him.

I do hope you give the GTC a statement of what you saw - too much info out there that it's the biker's at fault.......2/3rds of the time, they're not......

Biker's have wives/kids/siblings/parents too.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

fryup wrote: »
    Three Wheelers are getting alot more common in Ireland, bikers are splashing out.

I saw a D reg Three wheeler today with very wide back tyres heading up towards the Glengarriff tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Nice one OP, good to know us bikers are being thought of :D

Though I really wish there was some sort of part of the test which told drivers of the dangers bikers face and how good driving habits can make biking safer than what it is :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Shane_ef wrote: »
    The two things i reckon cause me not to see him were the zeion lights and he was coming from the west (sun behind him) not making excuses i should have seen him,
    But i just wanted to put it fresh in peoples minds to always look for bikes especially on nice days like today (beautiful day for a cruise, what i'd give to have a bike today:()

So because he had brighter and more visible Xenon lights, you couldnt see him.... right. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Happens almost daily to me, gotta be on the ball when on a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Everyone should see this ad. Pity RTE don't show it when the sun starts shining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I nearly hit a biker on a bright evening on the M1 a couple of weeks ago when she (and yes, it was a she) decided to pull out to overtake a car as I was overtaking her and the car and she pulled out right in front of me. I don't know if she even realised what she did, but when I passed her a few seconds later, she was staring fixedly straight ahead, so I presume she did.

Bikers need to keep their eyes open too. Not casting any aspersions, just saying it applies to all drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

saw two tools on the m50 yesterday not wearing any protective gear except the helmets one had shorts on and runners ,flying dangerously in and out of traffic acting the arse

no need for that kinda messing oin a bike ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Shorts and t-shirt on a bike... Darwin Award candidate right there!

Shorts and t-shirt on a bike... Darwin Award candidate right there!

Depends on the bike, the conditions, the environment and the manner in which it is being driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Depends on the bike, the conditions, the environment and the manner in which it is being driven.

if its on the road, IMO it should be full protective gear...

doesnt matter about the bike, the conditions or the manner in which it is been driven, you cant account for other peoples mistakes or stupidity...

robtri wrote: »
    if its on the road, IMO it should be full protective gear...

doesnt matter about the bike, the conditions or the manner in which it is been driven, you cant account for other peoples mistakes or stupidity...

Define "full protective gear".

Would you have this fella wear the same level of gear as this fella?

Do you wear protective gear when you're in your car?

They comply with the law by wearing a helmet, anything else is their own choice. Live and let live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Matt Simis wrote: »
    So because he had brighter and more visible Xenon lights, you couldnt see him.... right. :rolleyes:

I dont agree with that for an instant considering the driver didnt take a good enough look.

It doesnt matter if the bike had the "normal" or the Xenon lights but at a quick glance which it seems the driver only did I dont believe anyone can have the chance to distinguish between the sun and a headlight. Before someone hops on this post thinking Im trying to make an excuse for the OP at a glance is all I mean.

As the OP said he should have seen the biker so should have taken a longer more careful look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They comply with the law by wearing a helmet, anything else is their own choice. Live and let live.
    If anything, someone driving a sports bike in shorts and t-shirt is as good as wearing a sign saying, "I am a complete moron" and lets the rest of us know to keep well clear of him.

Even a relatively minor crash can turn into something much nastier when you hit the tarmac without protective gear.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    If anything, someone driving a sports bike in shorts and t-shirt is as good as wearing a sign saying, "I am a complete moron" and lets the rest of us know to keep well clear of him.

I agree but I don't why people bitch about bikers not wearing enough gear. If some guys wants to get on an R1 in shorts and flip-flops off he goes, don't see the reason for everyone to get so worked up over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I agree but I don't why people bitch about bikers not wearing enough gear. If some guys wants to get on an R1 in shorts and flip-flops off he goes, don't see the reason for everyone to get so worked up over it.

I don't get worked up over it. I say "moron" in my head and walk/ride on. I do disagree with the same attitude being given to newbies who are most likely to drop.

Also I do think Vespa drivers should wear more gear. 30kph does serious damage to skin when you go over and there is no guarantee that what ever hit you was doing 30.

bbk wrote: »
    I dont agree with that for an instant considering the driver didnt take a good enough look.

It doesnt matter if the bike had the "normal" or the Xenon lights but at a quick glance which it seems the driver only did I dont believe anyone can have the chance to distinguish between the sun and a headlight. Before someone hops on this post thinking Im trying to make an excuse for the OP at a glance is all I mean.

As the OP said he should have seen the biker so should have taken a longer more careful look.

Not making any excuse as i should have seen him (rather annoyed at myself for not seeing him), but i didn't glance, instead of just looking at the mirror, i turned and looked out the window...

I find bright lights coming with the sun behind you makes you rather hard to see...

I've only once see a fella riding in shorts and t-shirt, actually it was shorts and football jersey and football boots :rolleyes: .... I don't really see that many bad riders as i'm in the country, we normally just get "packs" :D of riders out for a drive....

Advertisement