Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Around Ireland

• 23-05-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Basically, as the title suggests, I'm thinking about cycling around Ireland this summer with a friend of mine. We hope to take around 2 weeks. Does anyone have any tips / has anyone got experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The quay cottage restaurant in westport does a fantastic steak...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

frenchman wrote: »
    Basically, as the title suggests, I'm thinking about cycling around Ireland this summer with a friend of mine. We hope to take around 2 weeks. Does anyone have any tips / has anyone got experience of this?
    Great idea. You'll find some similar threads on here already. Along with some threads on touring in general.

Where are you based/ starting from?

Do you have a theme yet? Any must see locations, must do experiences?

Are you going to be camping or staying in B&Bs?

Not that it's the most important thing, but what sort of bikes do you have?

DFD*

*DeliciouslyFecundDictionary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Knarr

frenchman wrote: »

I did this a few years ago. We had planned to camp in any available fields, but ended up sleeping rough under shelters, garages etc as we progressed.

From my experience, and if you want to not use B&B's, hostels and camp sites etc, then I wouldnt bother bringing a tent. 1) it gets wet if it rains - setting up, storing and sleeping in a wet tent and on wet grass is a nightmare especially when youv been cycling for a couple of days in Ireland. It diminishes morale. 2) It takes time to do. And thats not good if your lazy like me. and 3) It adds weight and it may feel like a tonne of blocks by the time you get half way round.

Sleeping rough isnt as bad as it might seem. Bring a good ground mat and sleeping bag, choose a good sheltered location such as under a garage, and in my view its far better than a tent.

Im planning on doing a cycle three times as long this summer (2000km+) and im thinking about making a ligh weight hammock from a skip bag, for rural areas, but which can also act as a ground sheet. They are lightweight and are easily taken down and stored.

Another thing - ensure your bike is up to the job. Cats eyes can shatter a wheel over long distances.

Also, dont bring too much gear and clothes. Weight is the biggest killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 colm ó maonaigh

To my mind you should be aware, if you are French, the Irish motorist (and I generalise here), unlike the French motorist, have no respect whatsover for cyclists. Also the condition of the roads (minor roads) here are atrocious compared to France. I cannot recall coming across 'the man with the shovel' and truck with tarmac anywhere in France. Seems to me that although we (the Government) like to think of us as being 'good' Europeans, when it comes to maintenence (?) of roads, we have no standards whatsover. This is a particular bone of contention with me as both a motorist and more especially as a cyclist. Depending on your chosen route, there may not be as many campsites available as there are in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Pity you missed the Summer, it took place this year May 21-May 23 :D . Seriously though enjoy your trip, would love to do it some day myself. I would imagine that cycling around coastal areas would be the best way to go, certainly for scenery anyway. The centre of the country can best be described as the 'land that time forgot' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

Terrible idea, simply terrible.
    Firstly you are bound to meet the worst weather possible.
    Secondly you will not be fit enough t complete the whole area of ireland, especially if you are after 1st year in college, all them guinness etc add up.
    Thirdly, on that point also, are you ale to last that journey without any guinness/ nights out for that period , i mean imagine cycling on a hangover for a full day, aswell as trying to save funds for your trip.

Allover its a ****e idea and by no means will cycling to keady the odd day here and there help ya. Give up

Your wellcome Mick.
    Regards
    As ever your best friend Cathal O

Advertisement