Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from the UK - Tax and Insurance quandry

• 23-05-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm just about to buy a car in the UK, I'm going to be getting 'free' drive away insurance from aviva, having had a quick glance at the T&C's this seems to only cover England, Scotland and Wales.

I'm looking to go with Quinn for the insurance once I get the car home.

With that in mind I note Quinn seem to allow the insurance quote with the current UK plate, so I would be purchasing that before I head over on the ferry.

What I was wondering is, will there be any issues with the insurance certificate issued and taxing the car?

I.e once I get the irish plate/re-registration details I'll have an insurance document with the old plate, will this be an issue?

Also does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to update the car's plate with the insurance company (Quinn) I assume this shouldn't be too difficult?

Also slightly unrelated, when presenting the car at the VRO, their payments seem to be trending towards bank drafts, I assume they aren't in the mood for credit cards? (site appears not to mention this and the 1500 laser limit seems pants!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

ALL EU issued insurance has to cover 3rd party in all EU states by law. True.

VRO take Lasercard I think.. in fact I am sure they insisted on Laser when I did my 3 cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Quinn will certainly insure the car from the UK to Ireland. When I moved over, Quinn were the only ones to insure me 'door to door', so's to speak. All I did when I moved was simply give them the Irish address and the insurance continued. When I formally imported the car and got Irish plates, I simply changed the details online, and called them a couple of days later to confirm the changes had gone through OK.

That said, be sure to put the Irish plates on ASAP. The rules recently changed where Irish insurers of cars with UK plates are required to inform Revenue of any that still carry UK plates for more than 42 days (I think, but do check).

Hope this helps.

BTW - VRO also take cash!! Wouldn't take credit cards for some reason...

BTW - VRO also take cash!! Wouldn't take credit cards for some reason...

..are you sure about cash. I am sure they said no cash for security reasons. that was in Tralee mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think no VRO will take cash anymore, they do accept lazer, not sure on credit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

si_guru wrote: »
    ..are you sure about cash. I am sure they said no cash for security reasons. that was in Tralee mind.

Ah - I think I got that bit wrong then! Just checked with the hubby, who said that he paid the lady in Cork by Laser....

Sorry guys!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

VRO do not take cash anymore, they will send you over to the post office to get a money order (no extra charge)
    They will want your RSI number also.

VRO do not take cash anymore, they will send you over to the post office to get a money order (no extra charge)
    They will want your RSI number also.

..oh yes I forgeot that. RSI Number and ID.

Advertisement