Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with me???

Options
  • 23-05-2010 8:31pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭

I don't know why but I'm working less and less as the exams get closer I was so annoyed at myself today when I realised I just watched TV for the whole day and did nothing all weekend. Is anybody else feeling the same?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm like that as well. It's extremely depressing. In previous years, I worked my ass off for non-important things like Summer Exams and Easter Exams etc., so I cannot fathom why I have lost all motivation coming up to the only exam that matters!

The sunny weather today most certainly did not help, but being really honest, if it wasn't sunny I probably would have spent most of the day bumming around, not doing any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

I've been procrastinating more too, even though I failed Maths in my Pre. I've been blaming it on the relatively hot weather, but this really is no excuse.

However, I can recommend this: http://lifehacker.com/281626/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-secret

I hope this helps,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Oh God I completely agree. I think I acutally studied the most in September :P To be fair, put it this way. The 2 weeks of exams are going to be the most tiring 2 weeks of your life so you need to save us some energy. That being said, a bit of study wouldn't go amiss in the next 2 weeks...
    Whenever I'm feeling exceptionally lazy, I think about getting my results in August and how disappointed I'll be if I do badly. Then I make a (reasonable) study timetable with regular breaks to get myself back into the routine and build it up from there. Allow yourself to go on Facebook/Boards from time to time but keep a timer and log off when it goes off. Also stay offline on Facebook chat....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

My graduation is tomorrow night. So I'm looking forward to that and did feck all all weekend:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Tons of people are the same, everytime I go on facebook it's filled of friends saying they havn't studied! It's definitely getting harder to study, i took yesterday and Friday off because it was so nice out and I'm regretting it today. I had a timetable to stick to and although I got it done I was so lay about it and managed to laze around most of the time. I keep putting it off but I think i'm just going to start waking up early and keep refreshed so I can get the work done. Start again tomorrow and hopefully the weather will ease of until the end of June :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Ya I was the same but did a good bit of study today so im happy...hopefully I can keep it up....but i can quaranteee next week you wont have a problem studying because you be nervous and procrastinating wont be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Just put something in front of you to study and say to yourself, "if I don't study right now I probably won't get my course". Always works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm not the only one :p Doing less and less as we go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I studied on Saturday for a few hours both most of thatvwas spent staring at a sheet if paper trying to fathom what it was I need to do and staring out the window! However I still managed to complete a contexualisation essay so I was glad with that!

I went to Lahinch beach today! Wahey procrastination!

But seriously guys let's make a pact: next two weeks will be shredded with study. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

same here, never studied all weekend and my plan was to cram everything into these last two weeks, damn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I'm going to start right away...after home and away...and neighbours..
    But after that!!:D

On the bright side it'll all be over soon :D I didn't get a lot done today, I blame the school I was there from 9 until 5 and I only had one double class and a church practise. I've more extra classes tomorrow so I think i'll start with the serious studying on Thursday if i'm not too wrecked from my graduation the night before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I got some study done. About 2-3 hours a day.My way of motivation is a double-edged sword. I keep telling myself, if I don't study and get a good job/course I wouldn't be able to get enough money to go to Japan. However, I end up stopping midway of study and go watch japanese television or go off learning japanese (which is totally unrelated to my LC since I didn't take it as a subject -_-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Lost tonight won't help! (2.5 hours I think).

We're finished school tomorrow.. so hopefully I will get knuckling down into the work. I can't believe I'm only starting my 'serious study' 2 weeks before the LC... if you told me that at the start of the year I would have been disgusted with myself. And everybody in my year has really high expectations of me, which doesn't help :o

I won't get anything done on Grad Night, and probably won't be able to tackle much the next day either :o

Lost tonight won't help! (2.5 hours I think).

We're finished school tomorrow.. so hopefully I will get knuckling down into the work. I can't believe I'm only starting my 'serious study' 2 weeks before the LC... if you told me that at the start of the year I would have been disgusted with myself. And everybody in my year has really high expectations of me, which doesn't help :o

I won't get anything done on Grad Night, and probably won't be able to tackle much the next day either :o
    I'm exactly the same! A teacher comes up to me the other day, talking about the LC. "Oh, you'll get over 550 points no problem". And here I am, starting study 2 weeks before the exam :p

Teachers definitely have high expectations and the fact that they can see our results really isn't making me feel any better :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

I'm kind of stuck in this limbo between thinking I'm alright and knowing I haven't done any study. But I'm only doing the J.C.

I'm kind of stuck in this limbo between thinking I'm alright and knowing I haven't done any study. But I'm only doing the J.C.

Don't worry too much about the JC. It seems important at the time, but once you get into 5th year (or possibly 4th year in your case) the teachers are all like "Well that's irrelevant.."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

i havent done a tap since christmas and even then that was the only 2 weeks i did anything since studying for the jc 2 years before i think i'm getting lazier because i've resigned myself to repeating so i dont really care anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

Don't worry too much about the JC. It seems important at the time, but once you get into 5th year (or possibly 4th year in your case) the teachers are all like "Well that's irrelevant.."
    Yeah many of my friends say the exact same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Teachers definitely have high expectations and the fact that they can see our results really isn't making me feel any better :o

My Dad's a teacher so I get pressure from both school and home:mad:.

kev9100 wrote: »
    My Dad's a teacher so I get pressure from both school and home:mad:.

Auh no way! My parents expect me to do well because I generally do in school, they don't understand that it is basically a memory test that really depends on what comes up on the day. I'm more worried about getting my course next year, if I do I really won't care about the points or how I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

Lost at 5am this morning certainly didn't help me.

Auh no way! My parents expect me to do well because I generally do in school, they don't understand that it is basically a memory test that really depends on what comes up on the day. I'm more worried about getting my course next year, if I do I really won't care about the points or how I did.
    YES! Same here. I'm one of the very few who always does his homework in every subject, never backtalks a teacher, and don't feck blue tack on the carpet :p And yet, some jacka$$ who stopped the class from learning for a year and a half can g off and learn off a load of stuff and do well. I do good in school, just not looking forward to this exam :(

Healium wrote: »
    YES! Same here. I'm one of the very few who always does his homework in every subject, never backtalks a teacher, and don't feck blue tack on the carpet :p And yet, some jacka$$ who stopped the class from learning for a year and a half can g off and learn off a load of stuff and do well. I do good in school, just not looking forward to this exam :(

This just makes so much sense and is basically my life right now :cool: People who copy off me in tests, don't bother doing any work and who have taken the last 3 weeks off to 'study' could just fly right by me points wise and take my course even though they seriously don't want it as much as me and will go just because they can!

This just makes so much sense and is basically my life right now :cool: People who copy off me in tests, don't bother doing any work and who have taken the last 3 weeks off to 'study' could just fly right by me points wise and take my course even though they seriously don't want it as much as me and will go just because they can!
    A certain fellow I know won't be able to copy in his LC aural test :pac:

Nice guys finish last :(

I remember we were handing up our Geography project. Now, Geography is our worst class. Ever half-minded trouble maker took it up thinking they;d get an A. Our daily 40 minutes is spent with her shouting at them, getting the Year Head, getting the principal... and now we don't have the course finished :p
    But anyway, I had my project done. I asked her to look over it quickly, to make sure I had everything covered, because I worked my A$$ off for that project. As I was flicking through the pages, she kept looking down at the trouble makers and shouting at them. That was when I realised its the loudest, rudest people who get noticed and control the class :(

A certain fellow I know won't be able to copy in his LC aural test :pac:

Nice guys finish last :(

I remember we were handing up our Geography project. Now, Geography is our worst class. Ever half-minded trouble maker took it up thinking they;d get an A. Our daily 40 minutes is spent with her shouting at them, getting the Year Head, getting the principal... and now we don't have the course finished :p
    But anyway, I had my project done. I asked her to look over it quickly, to make sure I had everything covered, because I worked my A$$ off for that project. As I was flicking through the pages, she kept looking down at the trouble makers and shouting at them. That was when I realised its the loudest, rudest people who get noticed and control the class :(

Fortunately my Geography teacher is the vice principal and is not a woman you would mess with :P I know what you mean though, a lot of my teachers are sick and tired of dealing with the chaos and have branded our classes 'trouble makers' when it really is only a few people. Taking in all of that in I do really like my school and the majority of people in it but it is annoying when it seems like all of the hard work isn't going to pay off in the end.

Fortunately my Geography teacher is the vice principal and is not a woman you would mess with :P I know what you mean though, a lot of my teachers are sick and tired of dealing with the chaos and have branded our classes 'trouble makers' when it really is only a few people. Taking in all of that in I do really like my school and the majority of people in it but it is annoying when it seems like all of the hard work isn't going to pay off in the end.
    I won't leave this education system too soon ;) Completely unfair :P If we actually did steady work in school all year, I'd get great grades. I prefer to take stuff in during class than sit down and study

I won't leave this education system too soon ;) Completely unfair :P If we actually did steady work in school all year, I'd get great grades. I prefer to take stuff in during class than sit down and study

Sounds like a plan, it'll probably be brought in soon after we leave. Looking forward to college because the majority of people who are there want to be so less hassle : )

• Advertisement

Sounds like a plan, it'll probably be brought in soon after we leave. Looking forward to college because the majority of people who are there want to be so less hassle : )
    Well... hopefully... the first term will sort out the interested from the chancers :p

Advertisement