Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want the perfect uchi mata

Options
  • 23-05-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

So, decided to start a log to help me get back into training. Tore my supraspinatus in my right shoulder back in January doing judo, but didn’t get it checked until March because I(stupidly) wanted to fight in the intervarsities. Luckily, it was only a small tear (or healed itself) and an orthopaedic surgeon gave me the go ahead to go back training last week.

Anyway, thats the backround.

Goals:
    The core goal is to get in condition to fight competitively in judo. I will be fighting in the -73kgs category, so Ill have to lose a fair few kilos (not sure of my weight now, but will check it tomorrow when I’m back in the gym, but I’d say I’m around 80ish).
    So in reality, I gotta cut a fair few kilos and get my strength back.

To get my strength back Im going to use stronglifts 5x5 until I head back to college in September. Gonna supplement this with some HIIT to cut the fat.
    For those of you who dont know the stronglifts program here it is:
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    I chose this program because it uses compound lifts, which I never did before when I was in the gym. I used to just use single muscle excercises which I only realised when these were useless for strength when I began reading the forum.
    Ill mix up my HIIT, might hit a bag one day, throw it around mimicing judo another, or just sprint.

Oh, and Ill be judo training 3 times a week for about 90 mins.

Anyway, Ill post up all my stats when I get into the gym tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

So, you could look at my attempt at a return to the gym today in 2 ways. Firstly ya could see it as good as I learned what I have to work on. Secondly, the things I have to work on are everything.

I started off the 5x5 program as per plan with some squats, but they didnt feel right at all. So, when the the owner/instructor came in I asked him just to have a look at my squat. Basically, it was a disaster. I was leaning too far forward because my core was too weak and I couldnt go deep enough because my calves are too tight.
    I always knew I wasnt very flexible from judo(I wasnt able to stretch as deep as the rest) but I was sceptical at first that my core was weak because, before I got injured, my core was fairly strong. The trainer just asked me to do the plank, to which I thought this is handy. I was wrong. I started shaking after about 5 seconds. Turns out when ya completely stop training for the guts of 3 months, ya turn into a slob.

He gave a few excercises to work on: counter balance squat, OH squat with a broom stick, plank, russian twist, sit-ups, ankle stability thingy and to stretch my calves, ALOT!

Was fairly demoralised, didnt realise things would be this bad going back training, but its what I get when I use being injured as an excuse to be a lazy c**t. I think I just need to get my ass in gear with 1 or 2 sessions with a PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Warm up
    Lots of stretching
    500m row

Workout
    Counter balance squat: w/10kg medicine ball, (3x10)
    Chin-ups: BW, (7,6,4)
    Bench press: 20kgs(x10), 40(5x5)

Then did some HIIT on a punching bag.
    20secs on, 10secs rest(x8).

Did some ankle stability stuff.

Weighted sit-ups: 10kg plate(2x15)
    Russian twists: 10kg plate(2x15)
    Planks: 3x30secs

Warm down
    Alot more stretching!!

Went in sort of clueless. Had no plan with me.

Decided Im going to see a pt. Fairly sure Im going to see a fella near me. Had contacted transform before I got injured, but my ability to travel has changed so cant get to dublin.

Advertisement