Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed Limit Signs - How blind do the council need to be?

• 23-05-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭

I may be highly pedantic or possibly just to much time on my hands but I get annoyed when I see speed limit signs with incorrect numbering on them.

60Km/h(Just for your Victor) but the stickers they use are actually 9's upside down.

Just annoying and/or technically incorrect. Does the speed limit apply?(weak argument)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Has the sun got to ya ??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

homer90 wrote: »
    Has the sun got to ya ??? :D

No just sustained councils getting this wrong all over the country and I remembered whilst on the computer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

a 6 turned upside down....

:D speechless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

way too much time on your hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Berty wrote: »
    60KPH
    km/h? :)

Sorry, not seeing a problem.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    km/h? :)

That's far too pedantic for my liking. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

'D'ya know what's really annoyin' bud?

'Six upside-down... waaaaah'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i've heard rumours that some councils are putting the 0's upside down as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where are they GETTING 9 stickers in the right size from? 90km/h isn't a valid speed limit.

Neither is 70km/h, hasn't stopped Louth CC signing it in a few places mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 47 lilka

theres a road in the backa*se of the dingle peninsula somewhere that has or had a speed limit sign on both sides of the road (as they do sometimes) - one says 50, the other 80...at least none of them were upsidedown though (except both zeros of course!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

What are you complaining about? A number 6 on a sign which you think is an upside down 9? There are not any 9's for any speed limits in this country so they can't be using an upside-down 9.

Compare the sixes and nine in the green circles attached. Just two different styles.
    lilka wrote: »
    theres a road in the backa*se of the dingle peninsula somewhere that has or had a speed limit sign on both sides of the road (as they do sometimes) - one says 50, the other 80...at least none of them were upsidedown though (except both zeros of course!)
    That sounds like its been turned around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

they chose the Continental font when making the switch from miles to km/h happened in 2004, so as to make them more distinctive from the old, British style fonts.

600px-Zeichen_274.svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I may be highly pedantic or possibly just to much time on my hands but I get annoyed when I see speed limit signs with incorrect numbering on them.

60Km/h(Just for your Victor) but the stickers they use are actually 9's upside down.

Just annoying and/or technically incorrect. Does the speed limit apply?(weak argument)

Ok so you think the council use upside down 9's instead of buying number 6's.....??

Bert did you think what speed limit sign they got them 9's from???;)

Last time I checked there was no speed limit with 9 in it!!!:D:D:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

That's far too pedantic for my liking. :mad:

:D km/h is too pedantic....
    but a number 6 which looks like a number 9 upside down isn't

:D:D:D:D

Ok so you think the council use upside down 9's instead of buying number 6's.....??

Bert did you think what speed limit sign they got them 9's from???;)

Last time I checked there was no speed limit with 9 in it!!!:D:D:pac::pac:

Right I will head out and take the picture of them. On the way home today I saw two more on the M7 Bypass at Limerick.

One the left of the motorway it had a 6 and the other side had a 9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I don't think you should be driving in your current condition without consulting a doctor first :D

Yawns wrote: »
    I don't think you should be driving in your current condition without consulting a doctor first :D

Well Im also going to stop illegaly in the hard shoulder of a Motorway to take a picture of a sign. :D

But its important and life changing information needed for society as a whole. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Well Im also going to stop illegaly in the hard shoulder of a Motorway to take a picture of a sign. :D

But its important and life changing information needed for society as a whole. :D

Will you send me on your details, car reg, date, time and location.....its been too nice to be giving out tickets.....but in your case i'll make an exception:D:D:p:p:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Will you send me on your details, car reg, date, time and location.....its been too nice to be giving out tickets.....but in your case i'll make an exception:D:D:p:p:pac::pac:

It doesn't stop them in Limerick.

Last week it was sunny for 4 days out of 5(Mon-Fri). The GTC were doing speed checks in a "fish barrel shoot" for 4 of them. One day was raining. Which day, considering the roads were more dangerous when it was raining, do you think they were not doing the speed checks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The GTC were doing speed checks in a "fish barrel shoot" for 4 of them.

They probably had their guns upside down and thought everyone was doing 90.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Last week it was sunny for 4 days out of 5(Mon-Fri). The GTC were doing speed checks in a "fish barrel shoot" for 4 of them. One day was raining. Which day, considering the roads were more dangerous when it was raining, do you think they were not doing the speed checks?

Were you honestly expecting any better from our buys in blue?

I've a huge amount of respect for the Gardai in general, speed checks are nothing but revenue generatoring exercises though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I checked with my contact in the council and he confirmed that the 9's were in fact originally upside down 6's, so in fact they're actually just turning them the right way up again :pac:

I do get annoyed by bad signage too though. For e.g. at Sandyford the northbound on-ramp to the m50 has a 50kph speed limit sign, but there's no sign further down the road for the motorway limit, so either the 50kph sign is wrong and you can do full motorway speed down the on-ramp, or you have to drive 50kph along the m50. Similarly there's a part where it changes from 120kph to 100kph, but if you take one of the off-ramps and come straight back on you don't see the 100kph speed limit sign meaning you could legitimately think the speed limit it 120kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

stevenmu wrote: »
    but if you take one of the off-ramps and come straight back on you don't see the 100kph speed limit sign meaning you could legitimately think the speed limit it 120kph.

I'm sure there'd be a 100 sign as you come back down the ramp, or a 50 as you come off the ramp.

Which day would have been least safe to stand ont he side of hte road where people speed?

Which day would have produced at best mediocre readings?

stevenmu wrote: »
    I checked with my contact in the council and he confirmed that the 9's were in fact originally upside down 6's, so in fact they're actually just turning them the right way up again :pac:

BIG SIGH @ COUNCILs

Victor wrote: »
    Which day would have been least safe to stand ont he side of hte road where people speed?

Which day would have produced at best mediocre readings?

There is a road going from Limerick to Thurles and the managed to widen ONE section of the entire road. The speed limit on the widest part is 60kph for 500mtrs and the rest of the crappy road is 80kph.

Where do they do their speed checks? The safest place with the lowest speed limit.

I have asked the councillors to investigate the "temporary speed limit" which is still in place but neither of them have bothered to reply.

Its the R503 in Co Limerick.

Here you go. Northbound M7 just after the onramp from the Newport Road Roundabout in Limerick.

Sorry about the fuzzy images. I was using the iPhone and I was parked under a bridge. The light refractions(if thats what you call it) made it hard to focus.

Overtaking Lane
    IMG_0081.jpg
    Hard Shoulder
    IMG_0079.jpg

So folks which one of these actually says 60?

I suggest the on at the Overtaking lane side of the Carraigeway is a 6 because other signs on our roadnetwork like directional signs use the other number as a 9 for their distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

So folks which one of these actually says 60?

They both say 60 to the ordinary driver. (those of us who have passed the test anyway)

bijapos wrote: »
    They both say 60 to the ordinary driver. (those of us who have passed the test anyway)

There is no need to be patronising.

O & 0 ? Spot the difference?

If not then keep trying.

If so, you notice because they are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

They are both 60 km/h.
    They are different fonts, but still 60 km/h.
    When speed limits were changed from mph to km/h in January 2005, the font was also changed.
    Your photo of the overtaking lane is 60 km/h with the correct new font,
    and your photo of the hard shoulder is also 60 km/h; the wrong font but still 60 km/h.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050114225357/www.gometric.ie/checksigns-lg.pdf
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050204204059/http://gometric.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Poor Mrs berty is all i will say to this thread:D:D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Well you didn't. The zeros on each sign are clearly also different indicating that it's a different font, not upside-down nines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I always though an up sidedown 9 was 6, or my teachers have where lying to me:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

but the stickers they use are actually 9's upside down.

OMG.

But, stay with me - what speed limit sign has a 9 ('nine' btw..) in it ?

And if none, why are they making them ?

And then, after that, why turn them upside down ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There is no need to be patronising.

If not then keep trying.

If so, you notice because they are different.

Yep, I just tried to phone O1 - xxxxx

Got me nowhere.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Wow this thread had set a new benchmark in crazy.......

if you can tell easily what the sign says why in sweet baby jesus's name would you care about the font or the 6 looking like a upside down 9....even typing that made me want to cry......

Advertisement