Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus recycling leaflets in Rathfarnham area?

Options
  • 23-05-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Are people so desperate or greedy for stuff now that they don't even bother to pretend it is for charity anymore?

There were sheets of paper dropped off in my apartment block this week, along the lines of 'Any unwanted items will be collected free of charge; clothes, computers, working electrical goods, [...usual blah]. It was signed by a 'Sandra', with a mobile number. Nothing about where they were going to end up or who this person was.

Obviously, most of these are brazen scams anyway and I ignore them, but this looked dodgier than the usual begging requests; did anyone else get it as well? (am in the Rathfarnham area).

I get charity leaflet requests a few times a week, in spite of a 'no junk mail' sign on my door. Gets a bit annoying after a while...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The area is being polluted with these at the moment. We get them (in Rathfarnham) almost daily, all with different charities and all with bad English.

They're delivered around 4 or 5 in the morning and ignore any signs asking not to receive them. I wrote some very strongly worded emails to the address they had on it but received no reply.

In short, it's a bunch of eastern european scammers who are looking for free stuff to sell off for their own profit. Do not give them anything, unless you're looking for an amusing way of disposing of animal faeces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I get one of these every second day. The bástards that deliver them ignore the "No junk mail" signs on doors aswell.

Give em nothing. Drop any old unwanted clothes to your loal charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Don't worry, they're not getting anything off me :) I'd be tempted to ring the number, but I don't want them to trace me and give me grief.

I wrote to the consituency TDs about it back in February, all replying thank you for bringing it to my attention, blah blah. If random scammers are coming to the area to target constituents, you'd think they'd want to know. :rolleyes: But who else can you report the matter to? The gardaí can't do anything, if all they're doing is dropping leaflets.

If more people complained, we might get somewhere. I'm really sick of it now, just because we live in a nice part of town doesn't mean we all go around in designer gear :cool: I have never received as many charity requests in any other area I have lived in. It's the genuine charities like Barnardos you'd feel sorry for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Had one here also rathfarnham, I've seen the van that picks up this stuff regularly.

He stops at the end of my road , hops out and removes the sign for what ever "charity" today on his white van that is stuck on with magnets, half tempted to leave out a few weeks worth of worn undies for them but sure they would make cleaning rags out of those at .35c a kilo :mad:

Sooner laws are brought in for this the better, worst part is there are many who use these guys for getting rid of stuff to save them a drive or too lazy to care where it goes and how much it makes the collecters, if there was also a law against that then they might not be so quick to give to the blighters.

That said I'm almost 99% sure the load I dropped in the local clothing bank recently was pilfered by the bastards in the dead of night.

Advertisement