Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Hills on Fire today. BBQ got out of hand?

Options
  • 23-05-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else noticed the big fire up on Keeper Hill today?

IMGP7557.JPG

Did it burn out or were the fire brigade needed?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Noticed that alrite today,made the news at 9 on today FM.Will listen again now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The gorse was set alight by some youths- who were arrested. The shannon voluntary firemen were there- they were just leaving it burn out, and putting out bits that might be dangerous to the masts.

4633382870_644fd1c12c.jpg

(bigger size http://www.flickr.com/photos/39896705@N05/4633382870/sizes/o/)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

^ What time was that pic taken? I just happened to be up there for a spin, didnt realise what was happening til I saw the fire brigade reversing out that narrow passage that leads up to the "golf ball". Not much to see in my pic, just the charred aftermath...I think the smell of burning followed me down the hill!

24kzk8p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

^ What time was that pic taken? I just happened to be up there for a spin, didnt realise what was happening til I saw the fire brigade reversing out that narrow passage that leads up to the "golf ball". Not much to see in my pic, just the charred aftermath...I think the smell of burning followed me down the hill!
    Around 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Gallows hill maybe? Keeper is in tipp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some of the gorse on the other side of the "golf ball" was burnt in a previous fire, I was up ther last week and the place was all charred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

seen it about 5pm coming back fro Ennis, half the hill was alight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Just wondering if anyone else noticed the big fire up on Keeper Hill today?

As a Tipp man, I take gravest exception to a Tipperary hill being confused with a Clare hill.

This inflamatory thread could re-awaken old Tipp/Clare wounds (Hurling-related)

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

langdang wrote: »
    Gallows hill maybe? Keeper is in tipp!

Think it's Woodcock Hill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

tippman1 wrote: »
    As a Tipp man, I take gravest exception to a Tipperary hill being confused with a Clare hill.

J.

True.
    Tipp is mostly bogland anyway.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

True.
    Tipp is mostly bogland anyway.:D

thank god they didnt set fire to the boglands................ the peat would be burning forever:D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Think it's Woodcock Hill ?
    Gallows Hill and Woodcock Hill are the same hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

tippman1 wrote: »

J.

Keeper was in my head as we are heading up that way soon with the scouts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

golden8 wrote: »
    Gallows Hill and Woodcock Hill are the same hill.

Two parts of the same hill you mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

i noticed this too, i was on a walk along the newly paved walkway by clonmacken road when i saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

hey, sorry to go a lil offtopic here, actually well off topic but does anyone know what the "golf ball" is used for or who owns it? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Jagle wrote: »
    hey, sorry to go a lil offtopic here, actually well off topic but does anyone know what the "golf ball" is used for or who owns it? thanks

Owned by the IAA for Shannon Airport.

Twin-go wrote: »
    Owned by the IAA for Shannon Airport.

thanks very much, presumed so, used to go up there as a kid, at christmas play in the deep snow, i presume theres no access to the inside of the golf ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

thanks very much, presumed so, used to go up there as a kid, at christmas play in the deep snow, i presume theres no access to the inside of the golf ball?

There used to be a second one many years ago if I remember correctly?
    I've only ever seen one other of these outside of Ireland and that was in Crete. What purpose do these things serve?
    A mate of mine once told me they were provided by the US Army and served a military purpose, but I find that hard to believe.

• Advertisement

I've only ever seen one other of these outside of Ireland and that was in Crete. What purpose do these things serve?
    A mate of mine once told me they were provided by the US Army and served a military purpose, but I find that hard to believe.

yes, my dad always told me the second one was blown away, now i doubt thats true but the base for the second one still remains, as to the US army, i seriously doubt that

They are known as Geodesic Domes and shelter transatlantic navigation and communication airials.

Twin-go wrote: »
    They are known as Geodesic Domes and shelter transatlantic navigation and communication airials.

wow, very knowlegable on the subject :)
    safe to be inside one?

wow, very knowlegable on the subject :)
    safe to be inside one?

Sure if the radar wasn't working:D if it was your ability to have children may be impared.
    Inside would be something like this Pic
    152514main_radar_330a.jpg

The Geodesic Dome protects from weather and other damage might help amplify signal also (but not 100% sure on this).

thanks not to worried about the kid area, my laptop is taking care of that end :)

just curious to get in there for a few hours do some sound design stuff in there..
    kinda for a university thing.. hmm might have to sneak i at night haha

thanks not to worried about the kid area, my laptop is taking care of that end :)

just curious to get in there for a few hours do some sound design stuff in there..
    kinda for a university thing.. hmm might have to sneak i at night haha

Good luck with that:). Space inside would be quite limited I would think with all the equipment.
    It's also protected by CCTV and razor-wire fence.

Oh yea, one last thing, that area can be crawing with scobes from the city at night (Joyriding, gang rape, buying bodies etc):eek:
    Mind yourself.

haha ya think a disused one is what i need. super so if i avoid the razor wire, knock out the cctv cameras and manage not to get my bits zapped ill get raped on the way out? think ill just try contact the IAA haha, tho i have a feeling where thatll end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

If theres a big dirty revolving radar yoke in there then I dunno how good it would be for sound testing stuff. Anyway, I would say the boys would be hesitant to leave anyone in there with electronic equipment that the IAA didn`t control.

What are you looking for? Maybe some facility (college research or some electronics company) would have an anechoic chamber?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Yeah, there used to be two when I was in school. My parents live at the bottom of those hills, must ask them about the fire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hermione* wrote: »
    Yeah, there used to be two when I was in school. My parents live at the bottom of those hills, must ask them about the fire!

Yeah when the 2 balls were there it was known as Testicle Hill....Well at least it was around the Northside anyway!

Advertisement