Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Hills on Fire today. BBQ got out of hand?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Jagle wrote: »
    thanks very much, presumed so, used to go up there as a kid, at christmas play in the deep snow, i presume theres no access to the inside of the golf ball?
    wow, very knowlegable on the subject :)
    safe to be inside one?
    thanks not to worried about the kid area, my laptop is taking care of that end :)

just curious to get in there for a few hours do some sound design stuff in there..
    kinda for a university thing.. hmm might have to sneak i at night haha
    haha ya think a disused one is what i need. super so if i avoid the razor wire, knock out the cctv cameras and manage not to get my bits zapped ill get raped on the way out? think ill just try contact the IAA haha, tho i have a feeling where thatll end

You'll prob. be happiest rolling back down the Cratloe Hills in one of these Zorbs:

zorb2.jpg

Have a look around Thomond Park for the one Pink used a few weeks back......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

langdang wrote: »
    If theres a big dirty revolving radar yoke in there then I dunno how good it would be for sound testing stuff. Anyway, I would say the boys would be hesitant to leave anyone in there with electronic equipment that the IAA didn`t control.

What are you looking for? Maybe some facility (college research or some electronics company) would have an anechoic chamber?

actually an anechoic chamber is a room that removes all sound after its initial production, its so quiet you can hear your own heart beating, that radar dish is certainly not one.
    im after it for more the odd sounds it would make/ odd sound of being in that dish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Twin-go wrote: »
    They are known as Geodesic Domes and shelter transatlantic navigation and communication airials.

Nothing to do with transatlantic navigation in there- that's all manged at Ballygireen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Nothing to do with transatlantic navigation in there- that's all manged at Ballygireen ;)

Do you work for the IAA? AFAIK the "Golf Ball" on Woodcock hill is of the monopulse secondary surveillance radar type. This receives data from aircraft that have Transponders.

I know the Ballygirreen is the ATC Radio facility for Shanwick but could they not be using the equipment on Woodcock Hill for transponder data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I'd say they are just there to look cool? ;) In reality the boys in Ballygireen have a few sets of binoculars and a big map on a table and little model planes that they push around making "Neeoooom" noises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Twin-go wrote: »
    Do you work for the IAA? AFAIK the "Golf Ball" on Woodcock hill is of the monopulse secondary surveillance radar type. This receives data from aircraft that have Transponders.

I know the Ballygirreen is the ATC Radio facility for Shanwick but could they not be using the equipment on Woodcock Hill for transponder data?

There is no radar coverage across the atlantic, coverage stops around 15west. There would of course be coverage if there was somewhere to put a radar in the ocean ;) Position reports are relayed via HF radio to Shanwick radio operators in Ballygireen, the controllers are in prestwick. while you are correct in what you say otherwise, the radar is only used for the FIR/UIR/NOTA/SOTA along with the Mount gabriel site.

Advertisement