Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Clubbing

Options
  • 23-05-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I'm hoping to go out clubbing in town, any places ye'd recommend? Hopefully places that aren't too strict on ID, I'm especially interested in Freakscene. Anyone going to their street style night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

cubins! not scummy and not stuck up
    its the best. and the bailey, which is right next to it on washington st. is a very nice late night pub.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

stevefinn wrote: »
    cubins! not scummy and not stuck up
    its the best. and the bailey, which is right next to it on washington st. is a very nice late night pub.:)

+1 to the bailey however I'd avoid cubins unless you want to spend the night with kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

Kinda what I'm looking for actually! I'm sixteen...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Oops my bad, in that case go for it :) hope you have a good time wherever you end up!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bouncers in Cork are extremely strict. I'd say you'd be best off waiting until you're 18 if you want even a shot at getting in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

You have no chance of getting into the clubs. Sometimes people who are 22/23 have problems getting in with all the proper ID so at 16 you have no options. There might be a very odd pub around town you might get into but if you look your age they are going to ask you for ID.

As faith said cork bouncers are notoriously strict.

kingtut wrote: »
    +1 to the bailey however I'd avoid cubins unless you want to spend the night with kids!

In fairness Cubins is 20+ ish at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

The bouncers at freakscene will NOT let you in! one of them is a friend of mine and exceptionally good at picking underage people out, he picked out my brother in law the week before his 18th despite the fact the brog let him walk in with us!

the bailey last time i was out was over 21's (although they never stopped me when i was 19/20)

if you are looking for a club id say Jam Junior or city hall is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The bouncers at freakscene will NOT let you in! one of them is a friend of mine and exceptionally good at picking underage people out, he picked out my brother in law the week before his 18th despite the fact the brog let him walk in with us!

This I can guarantee to be true! Steve is a machine when it comes to people. He remembers EVERYONE, and will pcik out your age by a quick glance alone!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

If you're 16 you can forget about anywhere unless you're fake ID is top notch.

Back in my day you had Jack Pluggs, Crazy Horse Salon, An Phoenix. These days it's very strict.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

jayteecork wrote: »
    If you're 16 you can forget about anywhere unless you're fake ID is top notch.

Back in my day you had Jack Pluggs, Crazy Horse Salon, An Phoenix. These days it's very strict.

Ah jaytee the good old day's,I can remember heading into The Phoenix when I was 15 every Friday and Saturday night,Jesus that was back in '94......Good times.

Anybody remember a club called The Foundry? Down the alley at the side of the GPO,I think it was called Surfers at some point as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

there is a big difference between a girl at sixteen and a guy, as said there are a few pubs that you could get into but clubs have a queue of people outside waiting to pay €15 to walk in so they are far less likely let people of 16 in its 18/21/23 or whatever the bouncer feels like saying,

official boards advice: your 16 its illegal for you to be drinking,

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

Jaysus ur bringing back memories, The phoenix and jack pluggs,tho most pubs werent strict back in the 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

cork45 wrote: »
    Ah jaytee the good old day's,I can remember heading into The Phoenix when I was 15 every Friday and Saturday night,Jesus that was back in '94......Good times.

Anybody remember a club called The Foundry? Down the alley at the side of the GPO,I think it was called Surfers at some point as well.

Yip, the Founder and Napertandys (sp), turned into a lapdancing club for a short while and then became Surfers. I can just about remember being in there when it was Tropics, I was about 15. Walked into the palm tree when I was locked.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

The Foundry, yeah. Was a bit of a zook hole in all fairness. Think it's the Crane Lane now.

They had Nigel "The Dark Destroyer" Benn in there one night DJing. Remember the pics in the echo, was scobe city! (But all in good fun of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

The Foundry, yeah. Was a bit of a zook hole in all fairness. Think it's the Crane Lane now.

They had Nigel "The Dark Destroyer" Benn in there one night DJing. Remember the pics in the echo, was scobe city! (But all in good fun of course)

Ha Ha it was a dive alright,one of the only clubs I knew where you could buy your yoke's from the bouncer's! I had many drug fueled nights in there.
    They always seemed to end the night with Ball & Chain during which the customary "Wrek Da Gaff" would occur.

Cork needs somewhere like that though, a propor club, Havannahs, the Bodega etc are p1ss poor as clubs go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

themonboys wrote: »
    Yip, the Founder and Napertandys (sp), turned into a lapdancing club for a short while and then became Surfers. I can just about remember being in there when it was Tropics, I was about 15. Walked into the palm tree when I was locked.

A the good old days - I stated going to Tropics on a Sunday night. My buddy from school was the DJ, we were in 5th year I think. Could not believe it when the Foundry opened - I thought (and still do) think it was the best club in the world. Where else in Cork could you go where most of the dodgiest fiens around were all in the same place getting along with each other - hugs and all. Course they were all buzzing off their heads though. Nappertandys too what a pub. I miss being young and having a laugh - too old and boring now, it sucks.

I always thought about organising a Foundry renuion night somewhere somtime playing all the old tunes from back in the day - although without the Yokes it would turn into a UFC type night!!

Anyway far too off topic - forget getting into a nightclub in town at 16 - aint going to happen I'm afraid - previous poster was right about Stevey Wong - he will sniff you out a mile away, although he never sniffed me out trying to get into Gorby's with my USIT card in 1994!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Anywhere but Cubins, nearly as scummy as Mangans at this stage. The Classic and Havannahs are your best bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tong po

The Bodega is the place to be, if you like girls!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Havanahs and Classic would be my advice too but theres no way your getting in at 16... I'm 20 and they do fierce looking at me at times before they let me in!!

Wait it out lad cause your only going to be wandering the streets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I'm ex Brog/Gorbys/Cube/Freakscene staff - you'll be hard pushed to get in there, the lads are very strict and good at spotting underage. And good friends of mine too so please dont make their job harder!
    Wait it out till you have real ID - trust me you will be sick of town by the time you are 25 so plenty of time..

but if you really wanna push it, youngest place I've seen is Mangans and the Catwalk - absolute sh*t holes in my personal opinion but if you're desperate...

murphym7 wrote: »
    A the good old days - I stated going to Tropics on a Sunday night. My buddy from school was the DJ, we were in 5th year I think. Could not believe it when the Foundry opened - I thought (and still do) think it was the best club in the world. Where else in Cork could you go where most of the dodgiest fiens around were all in the same place getting along with each other - hugs and all. Course they were all buzzing off their heads though. Nappertandys too what a pub. I miss being young and having a laugh - too old and boring now, it sucks.

I always thought about organising a Foundry renuion night somewhere somtime playing all the old tunes from back in the day - although without the Yokes it would turn into a UFC type night!!

Anyway far too off topic - forget getting into a nightclub in town at 16 - aint going to happen I'm afraid - previous poster was right about Stevey Wong - he will sniff you out a mile away, although he never sniffed me out trying to get into Gorby's with my USIT card in 1994!

Wongy sniffed ya alright, but anything over 16 was good for Klub Kaos and Gorbys. Dem were the days though....when both floors would open together.

All on for Foundry re-union!! You'd have to get the glow in the dark hand stamp as well. :)

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I'm ex Brog/Gorbys/Cube/Freakscene staff - you'll be hard pushed to get in there, the lads are very strict and good at spotting underage. And good friends of mine too so please dont make their job harder!
    Wait it out till you have real ID - trust me you will be sick of town by the time you are 25 so plenty of time..

but if you really wanna push it, youngest place I've seen is Mangans and the Catwalk - absolute sh*t holes in my personal opinion but if you're desperate...

I've never found the doormen on the Brog complex to be strict at all. They simply don't let in Underagers. Never stop people without any good reason, so more perfect at their jobs than strict! :)

Now, if only they stopped the damn cnutish students who go around stealing pints coming in! :D

I've never found the doormen on the Brog complex to be strict at all. They simply don't let in Underagers. Never stop people without any good reason, so more perfect at their jobs than strict! :)

Now, if only they stopped the damn cnutish students who go around stealing pints coming in! :D

Ah yeah, I didn't mean strict in that sense but they work hard to keep teh minors out. Have to nowadays with all the undercover cops coming in to nite clubs, checking ID. Tis only right anyway.

The students will always be left in...they actually spend money believe it or not :rolleyes: and if anything else they fill the place up. Sure we were all pint stealing students once apon a time..hahaha

Ah yeah, I didn't mean strict in that sense but they work hard to keep teh minors out. Have to nowadays with all the undercover cops coming in to nite clubs, checking ID. Tis only right anyway.

The students will always be left in...they actually spend money believe it or not :rolleyes: and if anything else they fill the place up. Sure we were all pint stealing students once apon a time..hahaha

I generally let those students keep the pint they steal.....albeit by wearing it! :D Accidentally of course! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Wongy sniffed ya alright, but anything over 16 was good for Klub Kaos and Gorbys. Dem were the days though....when both floors would open together.

All on for Foundry re-union!! You'd have to get the glow in the dark hand stamp as well. :)

I remember the stamp!! Jesus, what a howl. You would get it going from Napertandy's into the Foundry. There was one of my buddys who's girlfriend didnt want him going in there and she used to catch him the whole time after with the stamp on!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I stand to be corrected here, but I am almost certain it was "Surfers" when he played there. The guy who played Les Battersby in Cornonation St played there as well. What a filth hole that place was.

gimmick wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected here, but I am almost certain it was "Surfers" when he played there. The guy who played Les Battersby in Cornonation St played there as well. What a filth hole that place was.

Ah it all went seriously down hill when it became Surfers...not saying Nappertandys was the creme de la creme :D but I remember going to Surfers one night, seeing a fight break out in the ladies. Jesus, saucy knackers they were.

Anyone remember Doyles on the Grand Parade? Where Soho is now? Many a happy underage night I spent in there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And it was The Factory before that!

For underage trivia, my first under age pint was in The Horse Ass on Patrcks Quay in junior cert year. That place seriously took the piss in its serrving policies.

Advertisement