Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transport from port to athlone?

Options
  • 23-05-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

just wondering if any one know of way of getting there before 9 am mon to fri? Train not early enough :( are there buses or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I presume you mean Port Laoise, not Portarlington, Portrush or Dublin Port.

The train does get you there for 09:02.

Bus Éireann get you there for lunch.

You only hope is possibly a private bus that serves Athlone IT or the industrial estates, if they exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

There is a private bus which goes direct to Athlone IT from Tullamore I believe, but you'll have to get the Town Link bus service from Portlaoise/Mountmellick/Portarlington to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I could be wrong, but doesn't a bus go from Portlaoise to Athlone for FAS courses? I'm not sure of the times and if it is exclusively for people taking a FAS course or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Victor wrote: »
    I presume you mean Port Laoise, not Portarlington, Portrush or Dublin Port.

The train does get you there for 09:02.

Bus Éireann get you there for lunch.

You only hope is possibly a private bus that serves Athlone IT or the industrial estates, if they exist
    I'd say it's more Portarlington as Port in commonly known as Portarlington in Laois. Portlaoise is reffered to as The Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

kearns buses leave the post office in tullamore at 7.45 or 8am I think, and gets to athlone before 9. They have a bus going back at around lunchtime and then one at five and one at 6 if im not mistaken but our neighbours on the offaly board will tell you that.

The Train Station is a good 15min walk from the IT and the earliest train from portarlington is 9.02 so thats no good to you.

Surely somebody from port would be driving down and you could "scab" a lift from them if you threw them a few bob for petrol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

athlonelad wrote: »
    kearns buses leave the post office in tullamore at 7.45 or 8am I think, and gets to athlone before 9. They have a bus going back at around lunchtime and then one at five and one at 6 if im not mistaken but our neighbours on the offaly board will tell you that.

would that not be Carrolls buses... back in the day's of going to the IT, all of 10 :eek: years ago, i used to use jj carrolls, that could have changed since though...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

sorry guys i meant from portarlington Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

offaly1 wrote: »
    would that not be Carrolls buses... back in the day's of going to the IT, all of 10 :eek: years ago, i used to use jj carrolls, that could have changed since though...:o

Your dead right it is Carrolls. Don't know what put Kearns buses in my head.:confused:

Advertisement