Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance in Northern Ireland

• 23-05-2010 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've recently moved to Belfast from the south with my girlfriend, and the insurance on our car is up for renewal. We were with One Direct, who've told us they can't insure us in NI. So we did the rounds on the web and the phone, and came up with only two companies who weren't quoting silly money. We decided to go with Open & Direct, who initially told us that the reg wasn't an issue. When it came to actually getting the policy though, they told us that we'd have to get the car registered within 7 days. We'd no problem with that, but now they won't insure us because - and I was kinda shocked with this - they reckon our car doesn't exist! It's a '00 Nissan Almera saloon, and they say there's no such car, it only comes in a hatch. They're not interested in the chassis number, so are they just not interested in covering an imported car? Has anyone else ever insured an imported car in the north?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The NI branches of the likes of Quinn, Allianz that work on an All Ireland basis are likely to be more accommodating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Almera saloon may not have been sold in the UK - they don't sell its replacement (the Tiida) in either version.

Quinn would be your best bet for insuring it due to knowing the Irish market.

NI is a very, eh, "special" insurance market - lots of UK companies don't trade there, and those that do often charge through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can Quinn quote in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

Del2005 wrote: »
    Can Quinn quote in the UK?

They do,well...they used to before they went into administration,I think it affected their ability to sell insurance in the Uk/NI.Give them a ring and see,they wont be beaten on price anyway i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Quinn were barred from selling insurance in the UK. Not 100% sure if that is still in place, but I think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

With the EU I thought you could get insurance from any company. For example insure your car in Ireland even do you live in France?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Studied business, I know governments can for example have electricity done my companies from other countries, thought it was the same with insurance. Shows Il have to hit the books again ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

Gave Quinn a call, they quoted £998 fully comp, which is a lot more than we were paying in the south. Contacted Axa, who quoted us £650 fully comp, and give us 30 days to get the car registered. They also told us that 7 days just isn't long enough to register a car so that makes me think that Open & Direct just weren't interested.

I still find it odd that a car would be sold in the Republic and not in the UK - are the markets that different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

R.O.R wrote: »
    Quinn were barred from selling insurance in the UK. Not 100% sure if that is still in place, but I think it is.

They're now allowed sell motor insurance to the UK and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Rochey18 wrote: »
    With the EU I thought you could get insurance from any company. For example insure your car in Ireland even do you live in France?

I vaguely remember that companies can't quote for business in a country they don't have offices in.

It'll academic any way. There aren't that many insurance companies, they've been merging/buying each other out alot, and they will still quote you on the data for the country you are in not the country they are in.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember that companies can't quote for business in a country they don't have offices in.

It'll academic any way. There aren't that many insurance companies, they've been merging/buying each other out alot, and they will still quote you on the data for the country you are in not the country they are in.

Has anyone actually gotten insurance from a foreign company? One Direct would not insure me in the North as Aviva (One's underwriters) don't operate there, even though they insure the UK mainland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

deadbloke wrote: »
    Has anyone actually gotten insurance from a foreign company? One Direct would not insure me in the North as Aviva (One's underwriters) don't operate there, even though they insure the UK mainland.

No, you can't and you won't.

In order to transact Non-Life (aka 'motor' insurance) here, an insurer has to have a licence from Dept Enterprise Trade & Employment (or whatever it's called this week...), and pay into a bond. No insurer outside the State does that, so they can't write cover here.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Clements could be interesting.

http://www.clements.com

Insurance is called Professionals Abroad. They are a US broker. They insure you, if you're in a country, that you don't originate from (so republic irish in Northern Ireland would work).

The fully comp part is done in the states, the third party part they'll do with a local insurance using a group policy in NI.

Basically they were set up to accomodate US people that work for HP, IBM, Dell, Apple etc. abroad.

It's been years ago, I've been insured with them, but my BMW 520i was 680 USD fully comp, 250$ liability, in the republic. They don't care about motorsize or no claims. Just the amount of cylindres and what value the car has decides the price. Beyond that, they'll insure any reg anywhere.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Clements could be interesting.

http://www.clements.com

Insurance is called Professionals Abroad. They are a US broker. They insure you, if you're in a country, that you don't originate from (so republic irish in Northern Ireland would work).

The fully comp part is done in the states, the third party part they'll do with a local insurance using a group policy in NI.

Basically they were set up to accomodate US people that work for HP, IBM, Dell, Apple etc. abroad.

It's been years ago, I've been insured with them, but my BMW 520i was 680 USD fully comp, 250$ liability, in the republic. They don't care about motorsize or no claims. Just the amount of cylindres and what value the car has decides the price. Beyond that, they'll insure any reg anywhere.

/M

I think you've have to be a US expat for these guys to cover you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

deadbloke wrote: »
    I think you've have to be a US expat for these guys to cover you.

Nope. I'm danish and they insured me here in the republic (third party was AIG). They insure anybody, as long as you're in a country where you're not originally from.

/M

Advertisement