Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light in the sky above Limerick city now.

Options
  • 23-05-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Very bright white light, high in the sky, over Limerick city now. Does anyone know what it is? Its in NW area. Please post if you can see it or have any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Is it not the planet Venus?? Thats more south west though I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Oracle wrote: »
    Very bright white light, high in the sky, over Limerick city now. Does anyone know what it is? Its in NW area. Please post if you can see it or have any ideas.
    i see it out kitchen window right now, i would say it look like a satellite, even though i have never seen one on that side of the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I hope you're saying you can see this too? I don't know much about astronomy, this looks like a clear, white, mechanically produced light to me. It doesn't look very far away either, and there's not a single other star in the sky yet. It's strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

I see it too! But I do see other stars! I think JerryHandbag is right and it is Venus! According to my phone anywayz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kenzi

can see it here just outside charleville(i think anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

sounds like Venus to me tbh. I had a look out and thats the only thing I can see, its quite bright tonight alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

If it's north-west it's venus

Yes there are other stars out now, although this light has been shining for the last 30 minutes. OK maybe it is Venus.... although it looks very close, and very bright to be a distant planet. The nearest thing I've seen to this would be a helicopter light, although this light is stationary so could it be a helicopter? I think I hear helicopter motor in the distance very faintly, not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

you will always see Venus before the other stars, also it can only be seen at dusk or dawn as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Venus is often mistaken for an aircraft landing light as it can be so bright sometimes

• Advertisement

Well yeah maybe it is Venus, just I've never notice it there before, until a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I've noticed it for last few weeks, always first to appear in the western sky. But it does appear to be a lot brighter tonight for some reason...

Well thanks for posting, maybe thats the mystery solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

did anyone get a pic??

maybe it was the moon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I'm not mad into astronmy but i use a great program called Stellarium http://www.stellarium.org/
    According to it, its venus your looking at

Thanks for that Wetbench4. I've installed Stellarium on my GNU/Linux system. You're right, it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

It's definitely Venus. I agree it's very bright.

If you look to the left and a bit higher you see Mars and two to the left again is Saturn. To the right and a bit higher than Venus is Capella.

Advertisement