Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the sun give you leather skin?

• 23-05-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Was down at the beach today with the gf, took the cage cause we wanted to bring picnic stuffs, but anyway, in bettystown, the amount of bikers on harley's, mopeds and goldwings (few sport bikes too) riding around in shorts and t-shirts. Appearantly good weather makes you iron man these days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

You took a cage to the beach. :eek::confused:

But on the gear - I noticed the same myself.

I had a flat, and only got it repaired today (thanks to a mate who helped).
    Then I took the bike to the petrol station to check that the tyre was at the correct pressure.
    The petrol station is only 3 minutes away, but I still put on all the gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭alo1587

cage = car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

could do with getting leather feet- find it really hard to change gear in flip flops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

This reminds me of when me ol' da asked to take my new bike for a spin and I said 'yea, just throw on the gloves and jacket too'. He said 'why', I said 'you're only wearing a t-shirt. What'll protect your elbows, like'. 'My skin' he said.

I've never completely stopped wincing after that one :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cantdecide wrote: »
    I've never completely stopped wincing after that one :eek:

Here's another beaut, if you work near one: belt sander. Try belt sander and skin.

You get the idea...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Oh god, not another tut-tut thread, every time the sun shines someone's got to opinionate on what others are doing/wearing, fashion police ot what??? :rolleyes:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

bladespin wrote: »
    Oh god, not another tut-tut thread, every time the sun shines someone's got to opinionate on what others are doing/wearing, fashion police ot what??? :rolleyes:

I know exactly how you feel. I popped out for a spin yesterday in my ass-less leather chaps and tank top. You wouldn't believe the stares I got.

I know exactly how you feel. I popped out for a spin yesterday in my ass-less leather chaps and tank top. You wouldn't believe the stares I got.

Once made the mistake of wearing last year's boots, should have heard the abuse I got for that faux-pas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Once made the mistake of wearing last year's boots, should have heard the abuse I got for that faux-pas.

OMG, was that you:eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

So what, are you their mother?
    Why do people get so worked up about what someone else does?

I always try to wear all my gear, sometimes I don't sue me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    So what, are you their mother?
    Why do people get so worked up about what someone else does?

I always try to wear all my gear, sometimes I don't sue me.

I talked to my lawyer. He said I should jump out in front of you before I try and sue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Keep it civil and on topic or I'll close this train wreck of a thread :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Who gives a fvck lads, we're all on bikes regardless of whether we have full gear or t-shirt and shorts. Less b1tching, more biking :cool:

To be honest if someone wants to destroy themselves by wearing inappropriate clothing then let them. They aren't harming anyone but themselves in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

KTRIC wrote: »
    To be honest if someone wants to destroy themselves by wearing inappropriate clothing then let them. They aren't harming anyone but themselves in the end.

But they will be increasing the perception that motorbikes are death traps

Exactly, some of the posts in this thread would have 30km/h Vespa city riders riding around in one piece leathers :rolleyes:

pa990 wrote: »

As we all know but unfortunately being stupid isn't illegal ;)

....... unfortunately being stupid isn't illegal ;)

We can only live in hope that one day things will change :)

pa990 wrote: »

Who cares? It's dangerous with or without the gear, it provides only a small amount of protection in the end.

TBH I don't get the hang up about gear, it's great at protectting you if you're sliding down a track or the road but if you come into hard contact with anything it doesn't do very much (bar the helmet).

Most riders out for a sunny sunday spin won't be hooning it so they're not really a huge risk of slide, impact is the enemy on rides like that; getting a corner wrong and hitting some road furniture, car not seeing you etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

TBH..i'd be more concerned about getting skin cancer than a road rasher.......;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Exactly, some of the posts in this thread would have 30km/h Vespa city riders riding around in one piece leathers :rolleyes:

Too right. Don't take me word for it, either:
    Part 1
    Part 2

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Too right. Don't take me word for it, either:
    Part 1
    Part 2
    The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Who gives a fvck lads, we're all on bikes regardless of whether we have full gear or t-shirt and shorts. Less b1tching, more biking :cool:

A person I work with was of that idea till his wife went down the road in shorts and t-shirt.

The emergency service personnel. They look at enough gruesome stuff ever day there is no need to make their lives harder.
    Who cares? It's dangerous with or without the gear, it provides only a small amount of protection in the end.

TBH I don't get the hang up about gear, it's great at protectting you if you're sliding down a track or the road but if you come into hard contact with anything it doesn't do very much (bar the helmet).

Most riders out for a sunny sunday spin won't be hooning it so they're not really a huge risk of slide, impact is the enemy on rides like that; getting a corner wrong and hitting some road furniture, car not seeing you etc.

Considering that the stopping distance for a cage at 50km/h is 15m, a person sidling down the road will have less resistance and go future. You'd need very thick skin to not be badly injured. Unless you're very unlucky or lucky depending on which way you look at it, if you hit a car/road furniture you'll have big impact and then a big slide. The human body is fairly robust but throwing multiple large injuries isn't a good idea.

Del2005 wrote: »
    A person I work with was of that idea till his wife went down the road in shorts and t-shirt.

Is every random biker in short and a t-shirt as important to you as your wife? If so then the gear they're wearing is the least of your problems....
    The emergency service personnel. They look at enough gruesome stuff ever day there is no need to make their lives harder.

OK lets extend that logic.

Lets not rev our bikes higher than 5k rpm, it'll make our mechanics' lives easier.
    Oh, and no more smoking or drinking, it'll make our doctors' lives easier.
    Considering that the stopping distance for a cage at 50km/h is 15m, a person sidling down the road will have less resistance and go future.

So your theory behind rider safety is how far the rider slides in an off? Sure lets put every rider in a super sticky rubber suit, they'll stick to the ground.

lets put every rider in a super sticky rubber suit, they'll stick to the ground.

i saw something like that on redtube once :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is every random biker in short and a t-shirt as important to you as your wife? If so then the gear they're wearing is the least of your problems

It wasn't my wife, did you even read my post?

I'm all for personal freedom. But you still need some common sense.

We are riding a machine that statistically means we have a higher chance of being injured/killed. No one heads out on their bike thinking I'm going to crash or be crashed into today so I'd better wear my gear. We all head out for a blast with our mates to have a good time. I'm sure the riders friends would really like to see what their insides look like if they fall off without proper clothing on.
    Lets not rev our bikes higher than 5k rpm, it'll make our mechanics' lives easier.
    Oh, and no more smoking or drinking, it'll make our doctors' lives easier.

Bikes are designed to be rev'd and even if they do explode they are easy to put back together, unlike us.

Your average doctor doesn't have to hose down a road to clean up after someone has left half their body on it or go looking in ditches to find missing parts.
    So your theory behind rider safety is how far the rider slides in an off? Sure lets put every rider in a super sticky rubber suit, they'll stick to the ground.

No. I was trying to show to bladespin that even if they aren't "hoonin" around a low speed spill would still involve the riders body travelling a fair distance.

Do you agree with the helmets being compulsory?

Do you agree with the helmets being compulsory?

I do, in the same sense that I agree with seatbelts being compulsory, anything else should be the riders choice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

if personal safety was my #1 concern, I wouldnt be on a motorbike in the first place... so personally, I'm of the opinion of live and let live, as anything else would be somewhat hypocritical

my departing note: lots of folks giving out about the shorts - yet a pair of jeans/tracksuit bottoms offer about the same protection

Considering that the stopping distance for a cage at 50km/h is 15m, a person sidling down the road will have less resistance and go future. You'd need very thick skin to not be badly injured. Unless you're very unlucky or lucky depending on which way you look at it, if you hit a car/road furniture you'll have big impact and then a big slide. The human body is fairly robust but throwing multiple large injuries isn't a good idea.

That's true but the inertia involved in coming off at 50kmh would more than likely cause the rider to roll, not slide. Slides are caused when the rider comes into contact with the road or a smooth surface (grass hopefully) at high speed.

Hitting an object will caused the now injured party to roll and flail, the injuries this will cause are horrific but no gear will protect you in that scenario.

• Advertisement
Advertisement