Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First DSLR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Neither, probably. It's perpetuating stereotypes but Canon and Nikon are the way to go - especially if you're on a budget. They're just the most popular and for good reason - they're both comparably good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Hi there,

I got me a canon 1000d + standard lense + mini tripod + tripod + bag + spare battery + 2x / wide angle convertors + 8gb memory card + a whole load of cleaning stuff, on e-bay for £420 (i think).

The camera was reconditioned by canon, and comes with a 1 year warrenty, its going grand for me so far, some of the extras are pretty useless like the mini tripod, and i dont use the convertors much but if your on a budget they are usefull sometimes, ive since bought a new bag also, but the spare battery is while handy!

Edit just found the exact same kit and camera combo on ebay there now, but it says the camera is new so thats different...http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-CANON-EOS-Rebel-XS-1000D-D-SLR-CAMERA-3-LENS-KIT-/140393211221?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item20b0166555

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The casio is not a dslr, its a bridge camera, nothing particular wrong with the sony (price is good)

Nikon, canon, sony, pentax, panasonic, olympus all have entry level dslrs

probably worth having a look through this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055557678

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Promac wrote: »
    Neither, probably. It's perpetuating stereotypes but Canon and Nikon are the way to go - especially if you're on a budget. They're just the most popular and for good reason - they're both comparably good.

Know any of those I could get in my price range?Or where?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

storm2811 wrote: »
    I'm getting my first DSLR soon but I'm a bit clueless atm about what to buy,I know ye get asked stuff like this all the time:o

I've a budget of about 400-500(not much yeah,but I'm just a student!:pac:)
    anyway,just looking in the obvious places 'cause I haven't had a chance to look in any proper shops yet but,which would be better?

Despite the false claims, the Casio is not a DSLR

The Sony is a proper DSLR and would probably be a reasonable choice.
    Read the reviews, look at the sample pictures and if possible, try
    to get your hands on one to see how it 'feels' compared to
    similar cameras from other manufacturers.

Other options in your price range:

Canon 1000D

Nikon D3000

Olympus E-600 (From Currys)

And lots of second hand stuff on adverts.ie

• Advertisement

Hi there,

I got me a canon 1000d + standard lense + mini tripod + tripod + bag + spare battery + 2x / wide angle convertors + 8gb memory card + a whole load of cleaning stuff, on e-bay for £420 (i think).

The camera was reconditioned by canon, and comes with a 1 year warrenty, its going grand for me so far, some of the extras are pretty useless like the mini tripod, and i dont use the convertors much but if your on a budget they are usefull sometimes, ive since bought a new bag also, but the spare battery is while handy!

Edit just found the exact same kit and camera combo on ebay there now, but it says the camera is new so thats different...http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-CANON-EOS-Rebel-XS-1000D-D-SLR-CAMERA-3-LENS-KIT-/140393211221?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item20b0166555

Ooh,I'll have a look around there alright,thanks:D

storm2811 wrote: »
    Ooh,I'll have a look around there alright,thanks:D

That camera is the American Rebel XS model. You can get the European
    1000D in Argos for €443.99. Don't be swayed by the collection of low grade
    crap that is bundled with the Rebel XS to make it look more attractive.
    The European package comes with the right power plug and Canon
    warranty. That eBay camera works out at about €495 because of the
    very high shipping cost of £39.95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

hbr wrote: »
    That camera is the American Rebel XS model. You can get the European
    1000D in Argos for €443.99. Don't be swayed by the collection of low grade
    crap that is bundled with the Rebel XS to make it look more attractive.
    The European package comes with the right power plug and Canon
    warranty. That eBay camera works out at about €495 because of the
    very high shipping cost of £39.95.

i would agree with the price the postage on that is clossall, but i've only used that listing as an example, my postage was no-where near that price, there are a good few packages appearing on there daily.

The canon 1000d is a great camera, perfect for learning on too, there is a warranty, i got one from the seller when i bought mine (not the canon warranty the sellers warrenty, still a warrenty though) i did say that most of the stuff that comes with it isnt great. But i use the tripiod (saved €20) the external flash (saved €20) the extra battery (€6) and the memory card (€6) so I saved €50 odd euro before i bought the camera, sure they aint the best quailty stuff but they do the job perfectly, so long as you aint a pro (with i assume the OP isnt) the difference wont be noticed, its a great kit IMO esepcailly if you buying on a budget like i done.....

Promac wrote: »

I wouldn't confine myself to only buying the two best known brands.
    That would be like buying only Toyota or Ford.

If you are on a budget, Sony and Olympus have some very
    good offers. It is also worth noting that many Nikon and Pentax
    DSLRs use the very same Sony sensor that is used in Sony's own
    models.

The only real advantage of the Canon and Nikon is the
    ready availability of a large range of new and second hand
    lenses. Although there are a fair few Sony/Minolta and
    Pentax lenses available too.

Thanks all of ye,knew I'd get good advice here!

Think I'm getting either the Nikon D3000 or the sony that I linked in the OP:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I got a Pentax K-X from the states ( a friend brought it home).
    Good price here.

Granted you'll get 2nd lens cheaper for Nikon, Canon etc.
    But it's won a lot of 'budget'/entry level DSLR reviews.

Advertisement