Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new graphics card

Options
  • 23-05-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have a Dell 9150 desktop. Currently using an nvidia geforce 6800 but its getting very noisy. Possibly some bearings. I wouldn't mind getting something quieter. Not too sure what to get. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What CPU is in there? And are you gaming on that rig?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fred432

pentium d 830. 2 x 3.0 GHz with 800fsb and 1MB cache on each. (it was very good when I bought it!!) I don't do any serious gaming just internet stuff but I do work with big jpegs and multimedia stuff sometimes. Thanks for the help

If you don't use the rig for any gaming at all then you could simply "dig up" an old HD4350 for €25-35 someplace and stick it in :) If you want to retain that option and don't intend on using a very high-res monitor for it then a HD5570 cuts a good balance. If you do fancy gaming on the machine at a later date with a monitor near or on 1080p resolution you'd really need a HD5750 minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Solitaire wrote: »
    If you do fancy gaming on the machine at a later date with a monitor near or on 1080p resolution you'd really need a HD5750 minimum.

But then you'd need a new processor, at which stage you may or probably would require a new motherboard....

As Solitaire said, here's a perfect example of something to suit. Passively cooled - totally soundless.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

I'm in the same boat as Fred432, fan noisy on the NVidia 6800. My old rig is a Dell dimension 5000 (have it about 6 years). Used to have games on it in the early days but don't bother much now.
    But then you'd need a new processor, at which stage you may or probably would require a new motherboard....

As Solitaire said, here's a perfect example of something to suit. Passively cooled - totally soundless.

That ASUS EAH4350 linked to looks cool to me! Would that card be a suitable upgrade for me too?

(I'm just wary of having to upgrade the psu or anything like that. Just want a slot-in replacement - with better performance if its going).

• Advertisement

If you have a 6800GS knocking around in there I'd dare say anything short of a HD5770 would push your PSU any harder :p

HD4350 is cheap, cheerful, does HD decoding and doesn't use much juice at all, but it's got no 3D grunt at all. HD4650 is slightly better at 3D and has some more multimedia capability as well. HD5570 is the next step up after that and could actually run most 3D games fairly well at 720p, but it actually needs less juice than the HD46*0. If you still wanted to run newer games on a display over 720p then a HD5750 would be the largest upgrade I'd recommend but unless you upgraded the CPU at some point I don't think you'd see the amount of performance it could give.

Solitaire wrote: »
    If you have a 6800GS knocking around in there I'd dare say anything short of a HD5770 would push your PSU any harder :p

HD4350 is cheap, cheerful, does HD decoding and doesn't use much juice at all, but it's got no 3D grunt at all. HD4650 is slightly better at 3D and has some more multimedia capability as well. HD5570 is the next step up after that and could actually run most 3D games fairly well at 720p, but it actually needs less juice than the HD46*0. If you still wanted to run newer games on a display over 720p then a HD5750 would be the largest upgrade I'd recommend but unless you upgraded the CPU at some point I don't think you'd see the amount of performance it could give.
    Thanks for the info! I must have a look around the web for a good place to get one that won't break the bank! :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! I must have a look around the web for a good place to get one that won't break the bank! :p

Regularly check Pixmania. They have price drops on the new ATI cards quite often :pac:

Just to let you know - I plumped for the HD4650 (Amazon link) - worked out at €57 delivered. Just installed and working well. Just out of curiosity, I'll put it through it's paces in the next few weeks - but it's already doing the job I got it for.

Cheers for the tips guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

off topic, but is 10,000 marks good on 3d mark vantage ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yes it is. Any card I've seen hit that score can hit most modern games on high settings at 1680 x 1050

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

yes it is. Any card I've seen hit that score can hit most modern games on high settings at 1680 x 1050

Thats good, I was checking it out on a M1730 with SLi and a bit curious.

Advertisement